Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 01:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-105 IS Blured when stopped down

Don_T70
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 17, 2013 01:27 |  #1

After goggling the 24-105 I ran across a post about it being blurred when it was used at slow shutter speeds. The tests were done at 1/5 shutter and F4. Another shot was taken at 1/5 and F5.6 and there is a noticeable difference. It looks like it is a problem with newer lenses. My 24-105 was delivered a few weeks ago. Here are my results. It should be obvious which image was shot at f4 and which one was shot at f5.6. Both shots are with IS turned ON. From what I read Canon will fix this issue. I am not happy about having to send a 2 week lens back for repair, but it will give me some time to play with a few others.

Donald in Long Beach CA

EDIT - Apologies if this has been addressed. I searched but didn't find anything.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 6D. 24-105mm - 40mm Pancake - 20-35mm 2.8- 85mm 1.8 - 100-400L - Nifty 50

sponsored links
minh2pac
362 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 17, 2013 02:06 |  #2

Your shutter speed is WAY too slow

Kevin
5d3, 7d, xe-1, om-d

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,340 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 17, 2013 02:10 |  #3

Its going to be tough to get sharp shots at that shutter speed. If you take 10 shots at each aperture, are the f/4 shots consistently better than the f/5.6 shots?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2013 02:24 |  #4

I think you need a bigger sample size.

What focal length were these taken at? 1/5 is borderline even with IS and probably only going to be consistent at the wide end of the range.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 17, 2013 02:32 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #5

Tripod shot?
if so, turn the IS off

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas (external link)

Crafty
226 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 17, 2013 02:37 |  #6

I vote for shake.

Repeat the test with IS off and the camera on a tripod.

flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2013 02:39 |  #7

I think he was trying to test the IS, though.

Taylor

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 17, 2013 12:47 |  #8

Fix what issue? You are using to low of a shutter speed, IS doesn't stand for Independant Sorcery.

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

dochollidayda
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 17, 2013 12:51 as a reply to  @ Stickman's post |  #9

Read the OP twice, I don't understand the recognized problem OP speaks of. At 1/5 seconds it is relatively difficult to take sharp photos. I mean IS helps but its not magic.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,340 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 17, 2013 14:11 |  #10

dochollidayda wrote in post #15620069 (external link)
Read the OP twice, I don't understand the recognized problem OP speaks of. At 1/5 seconds it is relatively difficult to take sharp photos. I mean IS helps but its not magic.

But at the same shutter speed, aperture shouldn't affect the shake-induced blurriness. It sounds like the thread starter thinks it does in his case. That's why I wanted him to take a bunch of shots at each aperture (with the same SS) and see if there's any difference in the keeper rate between the two apertures. I doubt there's going to be too many keepers at 1/5' though. Maybe 1 in 5 would be acceptable for low res web use.

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 17, 2013 18:11 |  #11

I read about this on another forum. It was proven to be a real defect. The IS goes wonky if you change the shooting aperture away from wide open, as crazy as that sounds. Some batches had some electronics messed up. A couple guys sent their body and 24-105 in and got a fix. Canon found and admitted a problem.

Don_T70
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 17, 2013 19:13 |  #12

Maybe I did not explain it correctly. I am still relatively new to this and was trying to duplicate the problem that someone else discovered. I am hand holding the camera both times with IS On. That is just some text on the wall and the image is heavily cropped. I just want new buyers of the lens to realize their might be a focusing issue with newer copies of the 24-105. Here is a capture from the post I got the info from. This is not mine. .. and I will quote the original post to hopefully help convey the message.

"Four shots were taken at each setting to show that the effect is consistent. All shots were taken hand-held with IS on. The serial number of my lens is 427xxxx, purchased in November 2012.

The IS is claimed to give a three-stop advantage, so I would expect a shutter speed of 1/3s to be usable at 24mm. At 105mm 1/13s should be usable, so at 1/5s I am slightly outside the spec. However I would not expect the IS to cause extra blurring at f5.6. The degree of blurring with IS on is somewhat worse than with IS switched off."

[Image removed]

Canon 6D. 24-105mm - 40mm Pancake - 20-35mm 2.8- 85mm 1.8 - 100-400L - Nifty 50

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 17, 2013 19:23 |  #13

Seems like IS is shutting off at the smaller apeture of f5/6 ..... Interesting

_
My Gear is ---> Here

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2013 21:02 |  #14

That is odd, but I would still say 1/5 at 105mm is asking a lot of an IS system.

What about 1/15? (3 stops IS correction)

Taylor

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 17, 2013 22:11 |  #15

tkbslc wrote in post #15621762 (external link)
That is odd, but I would still say 1/5 at 105mm is asking a lot of an IS system.

What about 1/15? (3 stops IS correction)

This isn't about what IS can handle... We all know 1/5 is pushing it. However, we should get similar blur points out of f/4 as much as f/5.6 with the same shutter speed.

The point is, he is not getting the same or even a similar result.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links

3,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-105 IS Blured when stopped down
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.