Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 18 Feb 2013 (Monday) 03:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DigitalRev busted selling used cameras sold as new

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 18, 2013 03:50 |  #1

Not sure if this has been posted..

http://www.dailytelegr​aph.com.au …ry-fn7bsi21-1226580348144 (external link)

Photographer discovers his "new" camera was used in DigitalRev video

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 18, 2013 04:07 |  #2

Of course it was the episode where he essentially puts ball sweat on the camera. I would NOT be happy.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

cdang
THREAD ­ STARTER
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 18, 2013 04:09 |  #3

tkbslc wrote in post #15622559 (external link)
Of course it was the episode where he essentially puts ball sweat on the camera. I would NOT be happy.

So does that essentially means that the new owner has been "T-Bagged" ?

Ispriluc
200 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 18, 2013 04:47 |  #4

The last time I read about DigitalRevTV here was when they sold cameras with serial numbers that were declared not valid by Canon UK. Now this. I like their videos, but all this is strange.

600d + 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 18-250/ Nissin Di600/ G1X/ Ixus 220/ Raynox 150

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 18, 2013 05:50 |  #5

What the hell, I'd buy any gear that's "DigitalRev tested", you see what they do to their equipment? If that 5D survived Kai, It's good for life, IMO.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 18, 2013 06:29 |  #6

Well in my book all the bent serial numbers and now selling off demo stock as new cements my view this company has no moral compass.

Anyone who has seen the evidence so far must be crazy to buy from them at any cost. Not only do they have dirty ethics, but even when caught out; always put the innocent customer through hell and have the cheek rather than apologise profusely and organise an immediate refund or replacement, they always seem to take the line - "we will carry out a thorough investigation"
A) there is no point as they well know they are as bent as hell and B) they obviously aren't going to do anything about it.
I feel sorry for all the people who have been had by this disgraceful company.
Why do I care - no I didn't fall for it; but they have flooded the market with unserviceable units due to defaced serial numbers.
Basically everyone who buys a second hand camera now needs to see the initial supplying dealers invoice , the original not even a copy. No invoice then sorry I'm not buying.
Why what's the problem?
Ok say you buy a mint, 6 month old, 5D3 with only 1500 actuations, from a nice genuine guy who obviously looked after it as if it was his baby. Good price of £1700 a saving of £700. Everyone is happy and the unit works perfectly. 200 actuations later the camera stops - transpires it's a highly unusual shutter problem - hell stuff like this happens. Then the issues appear - there is no Canon warranty, that's a blow, canon won't repair it at either of the 2 accredited 5D3 repair centres in the UK. What do you do now?
Do you pay £350 for a shutter from some backstreet place??? Are you happy to do it or do you do it as its your only option? You decide to fight Digital Rev, who now say the warranty for 2 years is not transferable! And won't tell you that until you have sent it back to them at your cost of £160. Oh by the way they also inform you they will put on another serial number?? Do you actually want to be caught up in? or complicit in ? or worse still possibly risk being accused of receiving and handling or promoting counterfeiting goods, or copyright infringements (check how many products stipulate that you me not remove or deface serial number in the sales contract! - usually in the infringement of copyright section)
Ok you she'll out £160 for the post plus £350 for the repair and having spent £490 the camera operates but you don't think it does it as well as it did in the beginning! Where do you go? Canon understandably can't won't help you,
Sell it and move on?, what do you morally declare to the next buyer?, will by then this serial number issue have become such a hot issue, that the only buyers willing to lay out the cash will be the carpet baggers, who will pay £300 on the basis, if it breaks they may have to throw it away! And are willing to take a chance for the right price = a really rock bottom price.

I'm sure this post will have 50 guys posting saying I got my 5d from digital Rev and it was fine. What they mean is they were lucky that their iAd hasn't blown up yet. Basically it's a landmine waiting to go off.
Who's to say Canon won't get clever, and put something in the upgrade patches that refuses to upgrade the body and leaves a nice message on the LCD screen like" ILLEGAL SERIAL NUMBER!"

Everyone this happens to should send them back claim on the credit card company for a full refund - soon the credit card co's won't touch them. Plus it's a good idea to report them to the FBI, so they are tracked as persons of interest. yep the dear old us government recognises the damage fake goods do to the economy - the UK hasn't woken up to that yet, or don't care as we have no manufacturing base left!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 18, 2013 06:45 |  #7

Submariner wrote in post #15622702 (external link)
Well in my book all the bent serial numbers and now selling off demo stock as new cements my view this company has no moral compass.

Anyone who has seen the evidence so far must be crazy to buy from them at any cost. Not only do they have dirty ethics, but even when caught out; always put the innocent customer through hell and have the cheek rather than apologise profusely and organise an immediate refund or replacement, they always seem to take the line - "we will carry out a thorough investigation"
A) there is no point as they well know they are as bent as hell and B) they obviously aren't going to do anything about it.
Why do I care - no I didn't fall for it; but they have flooded the market with unserviceable units due to defaced serial numbers.
Basically everyone who buys a second hand camera now needs to see the initial supplying dealers invoice , the original not even a copy. No invoice then sorry I'm not buying.
Why what's the problem?
Ok say you buy a mint, 6 month old, 5D3 with only 1500 actuations, from a nice genuine guy who obviously looked after it as if it was his baby. Good price of £1700 a saving of £700. Everyone is happy and the unit works perfectly. 200 actuations later the camera stops - transpires it's a highly unusual shutter problem - hell stuff like this happens. Then the issues appear - there is no Canon warranty, that's a blow, canon won't repair it at either of the 2 accredited 5D3 repair centres in the UK. What do you do now?
Do you pay £350 for a shutter from some backstreet place??? Are you happy to do it or do you do it as its your only option? You decide to fight Digital Rev, who now say the warranty for 2 years is not transferable! And won't tell you that until you have sent it back to them at your cost of £160. Oh by the way they also inform you they will put on another serial number?? Do you actually want to be caught up in? or complicit in ? or worse still possibly risk being accused of receiving and handling or promoting counterfeiting goods, or copyright infringements (check how many products stipulate that you me not remove or deface serial number in the sales contract! - usually in the infringement of copyright section)
Ok you she'll out £160 for the post plus £350 for the repair and having spent £490 the camera operates but you don't think it does it as well as it did in the beginning! Where do you go? Canon understandably can't won't help you,
Sell it and move on?, what do you morally declare to the next buyer?, will by then this serial number issue have become such a hot issue, that the only buyers willing to lay out the cash will be the carpet baggers, who will pay £300 on the basis, if it breaks they may have to throw it away! And are willing to take a chance for the right price = a really rock bottom price.

I'm sure this post will have 50 guys posting saying I got my 5d from digital Rev and it was fine. What they mean is they were lucky that their iAd hasn't blown up yet. Basically it's a landmine waiting to go off.
Who's to say Canon won't get clever, and put something in the upgrade patches that refuses to upgrade the body and leaves a nice message on the LCD screen like" ILLEGAL SERIAL NUMBER!"

Everyone this happens to should send them back claim on the credit card company for a full refund - soon the credit card co's won't touch them. Plus it's a good idea to report them to the FBI, so they are tracked as persons of interest. yep the dear old us government recognises the damage fake goods do to the economy - the UK hasn't woken up to that yet, or don't care as we have no manufacturing base left!

You've not been eating Findus lasagne by any chance have you?

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 18, 2013 07:17 |  #8

JohnB57 wrote in post #15622733 (external link)
You've not been eating Findus lasagne by any chance have you?

Nope just wish other consumers would have some backbone and together we could clean up the market.
Then "fair" and ethical trading could prevail and it's a much nicer buying experience.

Eg got a damaged iPhone 5 sent to me, they sent a replacement that was so badly damaged by the courier I rejected it at the door. They then tried the apple crap of sending a repaired "nearly new" phone.
Took 4 months and 4 emails for the idiots at Vodaphone to realise its against the law. Well actually. 2 UK laws and I European law. But it's Ok by the bent Oftel ombudsman ( bet he's got a massive offshore bank account) . Well European Law overrides the Ombudsman.

New phone arrived today! Why don't all users just say No thanks.
Plus this serial number thing is really serious, as it could undermine the 2nd hand market.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 18, 2013 07:18 |  #9

Submariner wrote in post #15622702 (external link)

Why what's the problem?

The original link indicates that the people who have received these cameras will get them replaced with brand new cameras. You have any strong evidence that so isn't the case?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

T2iGuy
139 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 18, 2013 09:19 |  #10

I would love to have a camera that was used on a DigitalRev episode

GEAR: T2i

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,135 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 18, 2013 09:51 |  #11

Like anything else, the amount of knee-jerk angered reactions and anecdotal what-if stories is running rampant. Let's just keep some sort of reason-ability and common sense to this issue. Cameras were sold as new that weren't, they were caught, and they will make good with replacements. That is the extent of this story, nothing more. Things happen, life moves on, people are far from perfect, and about every other cliche applies here. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 18, 2013 10:01 |  #12

at least it wasn't a pile of laminate flooring!!

I'd just press for a partial refund and keep the camera, it's not like they did anything to actually harm it.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2013 10:37 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15623181 (external link)
Like anything else, the amount of knee-jerk angered reactions and anecdotal what-if stories is running rampant. Let's just keep some sort of reason-ability and common sense to this issue. Cameras were sold as new that weren't, they were caught, and they will make good with replacements. That is the extent of this story, nothing more. Things happen, life moves on, people are far from perfect, and about every other cliche applies here. :)

It won't stop there... Many will do thier best to burn them at the "stake". Camera folk can be very peculiar at times. :lol:

_
My Gear is ---> Here

h14nha
Goldmember
2,048 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 18, 2013 11:35 |  #14

davidc502 wrote in post #15623329 (external link)
It won't stop there... Many will do thier best to burn them at the "stake". Camera folk can be very peculiar at times. :lol:

Perhaps you'd like to buy my 3 year old, like new 7d, for the cost of a new one....... Then again, perhaps you wouldn't. People should be angry. Too many people are corrupt these days, don't tell me it's an honest mistake. They've been caught out doing what they've done before and had previously got away with.
I was suspicious about them when I read the saga of the serial numbers recently. I didnt like the way they dealt with the complaint. Now I will never purchase from them. I like DRTV, I'm a member on their site, but, just because Kai is a humorous cheeky chappy type doesn't mean DigitalRev aren't corrupt. I'm not that easily pacified........... If you want to spend your hard earned there feel free, I won't take that chance :D

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 18, 2013 11:49 |  #15

It takes years to build reputation, mere moments to ruin it.

For the Ancient Greeks and Vikings one's reputation was far more important than earthly possessions or fancy titles.

Let's just say that the evidence is pointing to DigitalRev not caring that much about it. Funny review videos though...

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

sponsored links

5,157 views & 0 likes for this thread
DigitalRev busted selling used cameras sold as new
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.