Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

TejasPOWER
64 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 17, 2013 19:45 as a reply to  @ post 15617921 |  #541

I can't wait to see the production QR... so close.... :)

Canon T3i | Luma CINCH | Motorsport fan -BMW, TOYOTA & MINI | BMWCCA (external link) | TTORA (external link)
Always looking to learn and to be better than before.

sponsored links
klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 17, 2013 21:47 |  #542

TejasPOWER wrote in post #15621501 (external link)
I can't wait to see the production QR... so close.... :)

I'm guessing it'll look just like the prototype QR ;)

gordon
Gear and Feedback

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 17, 2013 23:54 |  #543

I'm guessing it'll look just like the prototype QR

The link itself is actually the easy part.

It's getting the link connected to the camera that is the tough part:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8110/8483956543_c2c27ab33f_c.jpg

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,399 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 18, 2013 00:00 |  #544

gakoenig wrote in post #15622242 (external link)
I'm guessing it'll look just like the prototype QR

The link itself is actually the easy part.

It's getting the link connected to the camera that is the tough part:

QUOTED IMAGE

When we order the upgrade parts for our MkI straps will they look like 80% same as a new MkII strap?

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 18, 2013 00:11 |  #545

When we order the upgrade parts for our MkI straps will they look like 80% same as a new MkII strap?

It would take a keen eye to spot the difference between a Mk I and a Mk II with the optional aluminum parts.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 18, 2013 00:24 |  #546

gakoenig wrote in post #15617921 (external link)
I've been super busy and not much to report for a while, so I'll provide you all sort of the definitive update... right now!

The tooling for the MkII is being cut, validated and tuned right now. Quick introduction/preview video will be posted by Duncan next week from his final shakedown testing shooting a somewhat famous, week-long media event in Long Beach, CA. Final beta units with 3D printed hardware are inbound to some of our trusted testers right now.

I'll give you all a quick rundown of what to expect:

- Every Cinch will ship with our new composite ARCA plate with dual mounts.
- Dual, low profile, composite sliding adjusters front and back. The MkII is totally symmetrical now.
- Totally modular construction. Swap different size webbing. Change the hardware. Flip the shoulder pad (grippy on one side, smooth on the other). The MkII is future-prof.
- Ships with composite hardware, CNC machined aluminum hardware is now an option.
- Will ship *immediately* upon order, entirely new production process and materials are far more efficient. One of the biggest goals with the MkII is to keep the damn thing in stock so you can get one when you want it!

Also, our QR system, Luma Secure Links:

- 3mm wire oval links, made in France for Luma, hold over 550lb.
- Total security; absolutely no accidental release.
- Smoothly machined with no sharps or scratchy edges
- Multiple mounting options:
  • Dual mount on the Luma Plate (included)
  • Luma triangular split key for lugs and most brackets (included)
  • 3/8" Web adapter for inset brackets (optional)
  • New CinchMount for lens feet or low profile body mounting (optional)

- Available as simple adaptors to the Cinch or sewn into the MkII's modular webbing.

The Luma Secure Link system is quite neat. It is not the fastest Quick Release system available; instead, we developed the system around these very compact, totally reliable quick links that balance speed and security. Honestly, I looked at what the most paranoid users on the camera forums were running and decided the goal would be to create a system that even they would be happy to run without worry. We did it.

We are also quite proud of the Luma ARCA plate. We see this big gap in the market for universal ARCA plates between the Really Right Stuff, Kirk and others at the $50 price point, and the super cheap eBay Chinese plates for ~$10. With the Luma plate, your getting something that has the same tensile strength of aluminum, weighs less, is actually more durable and offers strap/link mounts both right and left. And it's made right here in Portland, OR. We will be selling the plate as a standalone part for folks who want to significantly upgrade the comfort of their factory or aftermarket neck straps.

Just before the MkII launches, we will be offering an upgrade special for MkI owners that will include a set of Secure Links and the ARCA plate. Watch our twitter/FB/website (and I am sure someone will post about it here).

And for those of you worried we will be going out of stock, don't. MkII shoulder pads and webbing are already in production as we finalize the injection mold tools. We will be launching with units on hand, ready to ship.

This has been a long process with lots of delays. These were conscious decisions on our part with the goal of bringing the Cinch back to the market with a lot of new features, adaptability and options. This is the kind of product that will give you a lifetime of fantastic service; the couple of months of delays will be forgotten when you are out in the field, capturing fantastic frames!

I'm supposing that a quick note will be added in this thread as well. I hate twitter, I hate facebook, and I don't check the Luma site all that often :p

How's that "upgrade" feature going to work? We provide our cinch mk1 order#, and we get a discount on a mk2 order? Or more along the lines of sending the old cinch back to get a credit on a mk2? Guessing the former, though some companies (such as Wimberley) have instituted their own buyback programs on older models.

My Gearlist

nathan549
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 18, 2013 00:28 |  #547

I'm dying to get one of these straps now.
Do you ship internationally?

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

fryedrice
50 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 18, 2013 02:20 |  #548

Wow... sounds like you guys have been putting in a ton of work... looking forward to ordering the upgraded parts! :D

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 18, 2013 04:19 |  #549

How's that "upgrade" feature going to work? We provide our cinch mk1 order#, and we get a discount on a mk2 order? Or more along the lines of sending the old cinch back to get a credit on a mk2? Guessing the former, though some companies (such as Wimberley) have instituted their own buyback programs on older models.

The most significant technical change with the MkII is the replacement of the CinchMount with the Luma ARCA plate and the availability of our optional Luma Secure Link system. With those two components, MkI owners have, with the exception of the modular construction, all the benefits of a fully optioned Mk II.

With the upgrade kit, we are essentially giving MkI owners every advancement we can short of having you return your Mk I Cinch and having us remanufacture it. We simply do not have the horsepower to perform that scale of operation with the level of quality and customer care that we would expect as customers ourselves.

i-G12
Wat?
1,721 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 18, 2013 06:56 |  #550

MK I, MK II ...forum members making stuff up

IMAGE: http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/rofl2.gif

Still, can't wait to get the retrofit stuff. :cool:

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 18, 2013 09:27 |  #551

any news on when these will be available.......

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 18, 2013 09:31 |  #552

0.0f wrote in post #15623097 (external link)
any news on when these will be available.......

Did you read the thread? :rolleyes:

Canon 5D IV | Canon 6D | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 17L TS-E | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 18, 2013 09:32 |  #553

no, did you read all 37 pages?

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 18, 2013 09:33 |  #554

0.0f wrote in post #15623116 (external link)
no, did you read all 37 pages?

Yup I have read on going and kept updated. However just not far back its clear its in the works and there is no specific date nor ETA at the moment. ;)

Canon 5D IV | Canon 6D | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 17L TS-E | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 18, 2013 09:34 |  #555

lol good thanks for update

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

sponsored links

269,384 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.