Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

400mm, with & without 1.4 and 2x extenders (sample images provided)

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 18, 2013 09:49 |  #16

Thanks for taking the time to show us the difference between the extenders.

Jon

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

sponsored links
nwlight
33 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 18, 2013 09:58 as a reply to  @ post 15622899 |  #17

Thanks a lot for posting this Tom. I did find your original post very useful to see the relative increase in magnification with teleconverters. I am looking at getting a teleconverter so this is very timely for me. The request for 100% crops is understandable because a lot of people claim that the 2x is not sharp enough to be worth it. Clearly, it is on your lens.

Now, if you only you did this test with the 400 5.6L, which is what I have...:)

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 18, 2013 10:14 |  #18

nwlight wrote in post #15623199 (external link)
Thanks a lot for posting this Tom. I did find your original post very useful to see the relative increase in magnification with teleconverters. I am looking at getting a teleconverter so this is very timely for me. The request for 100% crops is understandable because a lot of people claim that the 2x is not sharp enough to be worth it. Clearly, it is on your lens.

Now, if you only you did this test with the 400 5.6L, which is what I have...:)

I don't own a 400 f5.6, but I have rented them. They are just as sharp as the 400 f2.8, so I assume that they would be capable of providing similar results with the 2x. If only there was enough light - the 2x on the 400 f5.6 puts you up to f11. Stop down one stop for maximum sharpness and you're at f16. In direct sunlight, I'm sure it'd be a great combination.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

MikeBurtonPhillipson
256 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 18, 2013 10:34 |  #19

TSchrief wrote in post #15621865 (external link)
Thanks, Tom. I would be very happy with that 2X shot. Now if I could only afford 400 2.8 to replace my 100-400L.

me too!!..

Interesting comparison shots.. thanks for posting Tom!

5DmkIII | 7D | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 15-85 IS | 400D | Tokina 10-17 fisheye | 400D Ikelite Underwater housing |
http://www.mikeburtonp​hillipson.co.uk (external link)

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 18, 2013 11:52 |  #20

2.8 400mm !
*gasps* 2.8 400mm !!
Tom made me a sad panda ;)

Cheers for posting Tom , wish I had the money , but alas I am lucky enough still to have the 456 :)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,929 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 18, 2013 16:39 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15621502 (external link)
I had intended for the posted photos to be helpful to others who are interested in seeing the effect of tele-extenders on the final images. I did not realize that what I had to share would be subject to so much nit-pickery with regards to semantics.

Hi Tom,
I did not mean to sound nit picky.

I went back and re-read your initial post to see where I'd gone wrong. :(

I truly wish you had said more clearly your intention. Again, I don't mean to nit pick or get semantical on you, but I simply misunderstood your intention when you said "I thought I would share a few images that illustrate the effects they have on the images created with them. "

Framing/reach comparison etc.. these effects you illustrate quite well.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 18, 2013 17:17 |  #22

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
No problem at all, Jay (it is Jay, isn't it?)
I should have had enough foresight to realize that people would be more interested in deep crops than in framing & composition.
Because people are more interested in sharpness and resolution, I added a couple comparison crops that show those aspects of extender use - see post #13.
I hope the additional comparisons are helpful.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 18, 2013 21:14 |  #23

thanks tom.
If it makes it any easier, you can send me the lens and extenders, I will spend the next year gathering images and then post a set like you did. I'm only doing this for research of course :)

thanks again :)

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 18, 2013 21:20 |  #24

Gaarryy wrote in post #15625710 (external link)
thanks tom.
If it makes it any easier, you can send me the lens and extenders, I will spend the next year gathering images and then post a set like you did. I'm only doing this for research of course :)

thanks again :)

Hmmm . . . maybe we can trade. Do you know of any good spots in Texas for Whitetail buck photos? Not the private fenced in ranches, but places where some good old fashioned free range deer run free? If so, you could guide me to the deer, and in return I'd be glad to let you use the big lens for a few days. Supposing, of course, that I can afford the gasoline to get myself down to Texas next November:D

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 18, 2013 21:29 |  #25

No, he would be Jake. I would be Jay...

I too apologize for being hyper critical but I will state that, at least in my case, I have a 300 f/2.8 and a 500mm f/4 because I want that kind of speed at those focal lengths.

Therefore, the impact on IQ when wide open and "extended" would be, in my case, paramount.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

5,535 views & 0 likes for this thread
400mm, with & without 1.4 and 2x extenders (sample images provided)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.