Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

tjbrock42
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 17, 2013 20:22 |  #2551

Random question... Just out of curiosity, does this lens have a nickname like other sigma lenses?

Artma... Maybe?

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

sponsored links
jonnybloo
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 18, 2013 07:09 |  #2552

Hi, quick question for you all. This kind of applies to any new lens rather than just the Sigma 35. I got hold of my copy of this lens this weekend, very pleased so far. One thing i noticed though, doesnt happen every time either but the AF is squeaking when i change focus. Basically if i set it to Servo and pan the camera round, changing focus i get a little squeaking.

This may sound obvious but i dont have enough experiemce with new lenses to know, but is this common with a new lense? Is it likely it will "Wear in" a bit or does it indicate an issue ?

Thankyou!

jkokbaker
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 18, 2013 09:03 |  #2553

GuitarDTO wrote in post #15620092 (external link)
I'm getting ready to order this lens, and is curious if any of you can comment on ordering from Amazon? I typically order lens from B&H, but I signed up for Amazon prime, and also was going to do the 12 month no interest with them. I'm curious about returns/trades when it comes to the focus. Their return policy seems to indicate 30 days for most items (assuming you haven't trashed it), but I was curious if anyone had experience returning lenses in particular. I just want to be prepared in case I needed to swap for a better copy of the lens, but hopefully that wouldn't be necessary! Thanks for the advice

You will have no problem with Amazon, quick free shipping and a great return policy and good customer service. I bought mine from Amazon through the Warehouse Deals. It was supposed to have been used, still like new. Everything was still wrapped in plastic when I got it, I do not think it had ever even taken a shot. I added the $3.99 one day shipping and had it by noon the next day. Anywhere else it would have been $30-$40 for next day shipping.

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

tjbrock42
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 18, 2013 09:31 |  #2554

jonnybloo wrote in post #15622766 (external link)
Hi, quick question for you all. This kind of applies to any new lens rather than just the Sigma 35. I got hold of my copy of this lens this weekend, very pleased so far. One thing i noticed though, doesnt happen every time either but the AF is squeaking when i change focus. Basically if i set it to Servo and pan the camera round, changing focus i get a little squeaking.

This may sound obvious but i dont have enough experiemce with new lenses to know, but is this common with a new lense? Is it likely it will "Wear in" a bit or does it indicate an issue ?

Thankyou!

I've never owned a lens (new or used) that squeaked during focus. FWIW, I've owned Canon, Tamron, and Sigma lenses. Not sure if it will wear in or not either. To be honest, the only time I've ever heard of anything like this happening is from a similar complaint at B&H under the lens reviews for this lens :(.

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

Revolverz
223 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 18, 2013 09:39 |  #2555

I had too the squeaking thing during the first 200-300 shots. Now, I haven`t heard it anymore. :)

Website: www.cristian-popa.com (external link) ___Facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/cristian.popa.art (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 18, 2013 09:41 |  #2556

tjbrock42 wrote in post #15621648 (external link)
Random question... Just out of curiosity, does this lens have a nickname like other sigma lenses?

Artma... Maybe?

It's not gonna come when you call it, regardless of what you name it.

;)

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 18, 2013 09:48 |  #2557

I have heard it called the 35 LKILLER

Or maybe it was just a dream *LOL*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

jonnybloo
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 18, 2013 10:41 |  #2558

Cheers for the advice, i will speak to the retailer and forewarn them but give it some use first before i make a decision, see if it stops!

mariosworld343
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 18, 2013 12:10 |  #2559

Received my copy today; sharp and no af issues

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8486638546_d0be200ff7_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/16848360@N02/8​486638546/  (external link)
once in a lifetime (external link) by mariosworld343 (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS R
15-35RF, 50RF, 85RF, 70-200RF

amirg
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 18, 2013 12:18 |  #2560

tjbrock42 wrote in post #15623111 (external link)
I've never owned a lens (new or used) that squeaked during focus. FWIW, I've owned Canon, Tamron, and Sigma lenses. Not sure if it will wear in or not either. To be honest, the only time I've ever heard of anything like this happening is from a similar complaint at B&H under the lens reviews for this lens :(.

My copy was initially working well after +8 AFMA. After about 400-500 shots the AF started to malfunction occasionally (the lens would simply refuse to focus). I could hear a very faint noise as it was trying to focus but there was no movement inside the lens. Finally it stopped working completely a couple days ago. Returned to retailer for exchange.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 18, 2013 12:33 |  #2561

It's cause it doesn't work in that -20c degree weather up there in Canada! :P

As far as nicknames go, I think Sigmart would be good. Play on K-Mart quality control :P

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 18, 2013 12:36 |  #2562

jkokbaker wrote in post #15623026 (external link)
You will have no problem with Amazon, quick free shipping and a great return policy and good customer service. I bought mine from Amazon through the Warehouse Deals. It was supposed to have been used, still like new. Everything was still wrapped in plastic when I got it, I do not think it had ever even taken a shot. I added the $3.99 one day shipping and had it by noon the next day. Anywhere else it would have been $30-$40 for next day shipping.

People can re-wrap the parts to make them look like they were still wrapped from the factory... For example, Apple does this.

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

photosurgeon
103 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 18, 2013 13:08 as a reply to  @ Simplistic's post |  #2563
bannedPermanent ban

I went to demo a new Sigma 35 1.4 in my local store on my 5d2.

First off the focus was badly out and the store keeper helped me make some MFA on the camera. That did help a lot. I ask if that was common and he said yes.

Then after about the 10th test shot, the autofocus would would jump around.
I tried a few more shots and heard a faint click click click sound. On the next shot the auto focus totally died.

The shop assistant was really embarrassed and mentioned that he had many returns due to this same issue, but had expect his new batch to be problem free.

I have owned two previous Signa lenses in the past and they have had poor autofocus.

After this fiasco, how can I trust a Sigma lens again?

For all the owners who have good copies, it is a ticking time bomb until your Sigma autofocus unit gives up on you.

If Sigma made this lens in MANUAL FOCUS only with external iris control, I would buy it instantly.

Conclusion: SIGMA LOTTERY

1Ds (Killed by bird crap), 5d2 (never to be taken apart!), 300d IR (fianlly put it back together), 35L, 40mm pancake, 85mm 1.8, Tamwrong 28-75 2.8 (really good lens!) and a load of spare parts!

amirg
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 18, 2013 13:15 |  #2564

Simplistic wrote in post #15623725 (external link)
It's cause it doesn't work in that -20c degree weather up there in Canada! :P
:P

Actually it started to act up when I was doing indoor shots :) so maybe the shipment they sent for Canada is tuned to only work in -20c?

Facebook (external link)

amirg
532 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 18, 2013 13:25 |  #2565

photosurgeon wrote in post #15623854 (external link)
I went to demo a new Sigma 35 1.4 in my local store on my 5d2.

First off the focus was badly out and the store keeper helped me make some MFA on the camera. That did help a lot. I ask if that was common and he said yes.

Then after about the 10th test shot, the autofocus would would jump around.
I tried a few more shots and heard a faint click click click sound. On the next shot the auto focus totally died.

The shop assistant was really embarrassed and mentioned that he had many returns due to this same issue, but had expect his new batch to be problem free.

I have owned two previous Signa lenses in the past and they have had poor autofocus.

After this fiasco, how can I trust a Sigma lens again?

For all the owners who have good copies, it is a ticking time bomb until your Sigma autofocus unit gives up on you.

If Sigma made this lens in MANUAL FOCUS only with external iris control, I would buy it instantly.

Conclusion: SIGMA LOTTERY

This is exactly what happened to my copy (granted it took a few hundred shots for it to happen). Interestingly I had not seen this AF-sudden-death issue mentioned anywhere else so I thought it should be a rare case and decided to give them a second chance.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

717,097 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.