Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 12 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 13:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can Someone Recommend an LCD Loupe for Video on a 7D?

MrChip
112 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 12, 2013 13:31 |  #1

Hello,

I started shooting video on my 7D and am running into a problem using LiveView. The issue is that I cannot see the screen well enough to tell if I am in focus. I use reading glasses at home, but rarely have them with me when I shoot. Even if I had them with me, I cannot use them as it would make it painful to look at anything in the distance. I also have a problem seeing the screen well due to ambient light.

I am looking for recommendations for a screen loupe that meets the following criteria:

1. Must be compatible with a 7D that uses a battery grip (some I have found do not seem to work with a BG).
2. Must have a diopter adjustment
3. Must have a sun shade
4. Would like at least 2.5x magnification
5. Relatively easy to take on and off with no damage to the camera itself
6. Decent quality
7. Affordable - I have seen some solutions that cost hundreds of dollars. I would like a solution that is no more than $150, but preferably $100 or less

Does anyone have a product they can recommend based on experience that meets the above criteria? Please let me know if I am missing something or if my wish list is unrealistic.

Thanks so much!
Chip

Camera: Canon 70D and 7D with grips,
Canon lenses: 100-400 Mark II, 70-200F2.8, 300F4 IS, 85F1.8, 50F1.8, 17-55 F2.8 EFS, and 1.4x extender
Other lenses: Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Wish List: Canon 300mm F2.8 and 5D Mark IV (feel free to donate)

sponsored links
charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 12, 2013 13:34 |  #2

I'm not aware of anything that meets your desired specs AND price. I love my zacuto z-finder. Just like with camera lenses and reading glasses, you get what you pay for.

joe

MrChip
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 12, 2013 14:32 |  #3

Hi Joe,

I realize I may be wishing for too much here. Just want to check - can you use the Z-finder with a battery grip?

Canon lenses: 100-400 Mark II, 70-200F2.8, 300F4 IS, 85F1.8, 50F1.8, 17-55 F2.8 EFS, and 1.4x extender

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 12, 2013 14:45 |  #4

I use the Z-Finder 2.5x myself and it is def by far the best option out there. I use the Zacuto stick on frames and dont bother with the Z-Finder mount that they come with. I sold that to reduce the cost of the Z-Finder.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

MrChip
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 12, 2013 14:54 |  #5

After looking at Zacuto's website I can see that their Pro models look top notch. Still, $400+ is more than I want to spend at this time. I see they are running a special on their junior model. I can get the Junior for $165, a stick on frame for $6, and the $12 extender frames to hopefully be able to focus the image. Does anyone have experience using a Junior with extended frames?

If I want to use their non-sticking frame it would be an extra $105 for a frame that fits my battery grip.

MrChip
THREAD ­ STARTER
112 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 12, 2013 15:25 |  #6

I think I may go with the CarrySpeed product. I would have to take my grip off, but it seems to offer the best combination of features.

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 12, 2013 15:26 |  #7

The carryspeed doesn't look too bad. If you have a local camera shop it's worth going to check out the various options in person.

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 13, 2013 00:17 |  #8

I have to chime in and throw in my 2¢ on the Z-Finder. I have the old version which only came in 3.0x, the thing flat out rules. I never bought the gorilla plate thing I just have one of the sticky frames on one of my 5Ds and use it for that. The other 5D is usually tripod mounted when I'm shooting with both bodies on set.

It's worth it man. Super clear, easy to focus with, very durable and Zacuto backs it up with a great warranty. Try and buy a used one, save some $$$

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 17, 2013 18:16 |  #9

MrChip wrote in post #15602513 (external link)
1. Must be compatible with a 7D that uses a battery grip (some I have found do not seem to work with a BG).
2. Must have a diopter adjustment
3. Must have a sun shade
4. Would like at least 2.5x magnification
5. Relatively easy to take on and off with no damage to the camera itself
6. Decent quality
7. Affordable - I have seen some solutions that cost hundreds of dollars. I would like a solution that is no more than $150, but preferably $100 or less

Your criteria perfectly describe the Zacuto Z-Finder - except for No. 7. Meaning, you need to decide what your priorities are: cost or performance. I own a Z-Finder with an extension frame to allow it to work on my gripped T2i. Should do the same on a gripped 7D. Quality is top notch, and if something on it goes south I'm sure Zacuto will make it good. Quality and service have a price.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 18, 2013 11:41 |  #10

I like (and own) the Letus loupe.

But price and performance are kinda like lenses (well, almost exactly like lenses, because this is a precision optical instrument!)

In other words you get what you pay for.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 18, 2013 13:20 as a reply to  @ tickerguy's post |  #11

I found a great combination that works really well for my gripped 7D. It needs something screwed into the bottom of the camera to hold on the loupe, either a battery grip or a tripod mount.

First, the loupe. I got a Hoodman H-LPP3 HoodLoupe 3-Inch Screen Loupe, $79.95 on Amazon (external link). It's very highly rated by Amazon customers, and I can attest to its utility. It is 3x magnification and has a diopter adjustment. I can easily use the LCD screen in direct sunlight, not possible without a loupe.

Now, the holder: the Redrock microfinder loupe accessory kit, $39.50 direct from Redrock (external link).

This combo works very well to hold the loupe tightly, yet it comes off instantly by loosening the battery grip or tripod mount. Total cost $120 plus a little shipping.

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

rpoe
23 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 29, 2013 21:24 |  #12

I recently bought a zacuto z finder through amazon, but within their alternative methods. The unit was listed as "new with dented box" and about $100 less than bnib. Got it thru amazon prime 2 days later in perfect shape. The box was even pristine with original round tape pads sealed. I don't understand how the marketing of this works but was glad to pay what I did and get a brand new z finder.

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 04, 2013 06:43 |  #13

I also use the Zacuto extension frame on my gripped T2i and it works perfectly. I've never used another brand, but I can vouch for the Zacuto Z-Finder without hesitation.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,317 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can Someone Recommend an LCD Loupe for Video on a 7D?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.