Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a new ball head with quick release

nathan549
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 19, 2013 04:55 |  #16

Markins Q20 for sure. il never go back to any other ball head after owning this!

I have that exact setup with the same manfrotto legs. works great

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

sponsored links
amairphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,952 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 11, 2013 13:54 |  #17

Anyone use the L plates from Really Right Stuff?

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,252 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 11, 2013 14:30 |  #18

DonJuanMair wrote in post #15816535 (external link)

I think a lot of folks do...

I use one, never leaves the body.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

FjellFalck
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 11, 2013 14:54 |  #19

Yes they are great and of top quality like everything for that company. Expensive, but worth it - and made in the USA for lifetime usage:)

flyfish1
673 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 11, 2013 18:41 |  #20

No matter what you buy from RRS it's top notch. And the people who work there are even better. Customer service is very big with me and when you combine a great product with great customer service it's a win win experience. I would never go anywhere else.

5D Mark II - 17-40 f/4L - 24-105 f/4L IS - 70-300L IS - 85 1.8 - RRS TVC 33 Tripod - RRS BH-55 Ball Head

amairphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,952 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 11, 2013 18:50 |  #21

Ordered! Man their customer service was so prompt. Didn't go with the L because I don't think I would use it that much

flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 11, 2013 19:43 |  #22

This thread and one other one here on POTN prompted me to do what I have been putting off for months. I ordered all the necessary stuff to convert my Manfrotto tripod head over. I ended up going with Kirk Enterprise Solutions because they are one of the only companies who make a one piece L-Bracket for my 60D. Kirk has two options: with or without a battery grip. Since several regs here have recommended them, I'm not going into this blind but I'm still a bit apprehensive since I'm also going to integrate my Newtown FR3 flash rotator bracket. This gets a bit involved but I think I was able to work it out with Gary at Kirk: http://www.kirkphoto.c​om/ (external link)

I called RRS a while ago, asking them if they had or were planning on developing an L-Bracket for the 60D and they said they do not currently have one and one isn't in the works. In my dreams, I'd have all RRS stuff starting with their legs.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 11, 2013 20:29 |  #23

On every body, they provide protection as well.

RRS BH55 is the sturdiest ballhead I have found to date..

:cool:Lots of Bodies & Glass....:cool:

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 11, 2013 20:31 |  #24

flyfish1 wrote in post #15817481 (external link)
No matter what you buy from RRS it's top notch. And the people who work there are even better. Customer service is very big with me and when you combine a great product with great customer service it's a win win experience. I would never go anywhere else.

I have found their customer service to be one of the best of any company I have ever dealt with.

a great bunch of people working there.

I am a customer for life..

:cool:Lots of Bodies & Glass....:cool:

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 11, 2013 20:54 |  #25

I won't buy a camera until the RRS L plate's ready! (Scarcely an exaggeration.)

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Denny ­ G
Goldmember
1,870 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 11, 2013 22:05 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #26

At times it must sound like I work for RRS. I don't

I use a RRS BH55 on my RRS TVC 33 tripod.
I use a RRS MH-02 LR head on my Gitzo monopod.
I use a RRS L plate on my EOS 5D3.
I use a RRS B2-FAB-F clamp to go from the L Plate to the BlackRapid sport.
Hold th pnone I use a Wimberley P20 quick rel plate for my collared lens.

Okay DonJuan I really do recomend the RRS BH-55.

ra40
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Gallery: 451 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 11, 2013 22:45 |  #27

What broke on your Cullmann? You mentioned it in the Cullmann thread but I don't recall the specifics.

I haven't had the Cullmann Magnesit 6 that long, about a month with the RRS B2 Pro II. Been nice so far but my rig doesn't load it up. The Magnesit head has 10 year warranty, did you send it to RTS?

The RRS plates are excellent and like others here, their CS is excellent.

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 12, 2013 06:39 |  #28

Phoenixkh wrote in post #15817658 (external link)
This thread and one other one here on POTN prompted me to do what I have been putting off for months. I ordered all the necessary stuff to convert my Manfrotto tripod head over. I ended up going with Kirk Enterprise Solutions because they are one of the only companies who make a one piece L-Bracket for my 60D. Kirk has two options: with or without a battery grip. Since several regs here have recommended them, I'm not going into this blind but I'm still a bit apprehensive since I'm also going to integrate my Newtown FR3 flash rotator bracket. This gets a bit involved but I think I was able to work it out with Gary at Kirk: http://www.kirkphoto.c​om/ (external link)

I called RRS a while ago, asking them if they had or were planning on developing an L-Bracket for the 60D and they said they do not currently have one and one isn't in the works. In my dreams, I'd have all RRS stuff starting with their legs.

Your experience mirrors mine wanting an L bracket for a gripped 60D. Kirk made 'em, RRS said there wasn't enough demand to warrant making them. So, when I went to get an L bracket for my 5D3, there was no choice. Same with the clamps for my tripod and monopod...and ball head for my monopod (BH-3)...Kirk all the way!

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

amairphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,952 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 12, 2013 12:59 |  #29

ra40 wrote in post #15818255 (external link)
What broke on your Cullmann? You mentioned it in the Cullmann thread but I don't recall the specifics.

I haven't had the Cullmann Magnesit 6 that long, about a month with the RRS B2 Pro II. Been nice so far but my rig doesn't load it up. The Magnesit head has 10 year warranty, did you send it to RTS?

The RRS plates are excellent and like others here, their CS is excellent.

ill have to film it and show you, kind of hard to explain

flickr (external link)

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 12, 2013 15:46 |  #30

Lowner wrote in post #15616650 (external link)
I use the Markins M10 on exactly the same legs.

same here

Gear List

sponsored links

5,521 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a new ball head with quick release
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.