Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 16:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Better camera = Better photographer?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 19, 2013 07:59 |  #106
bannedPermanent ban

ebjo wrote in post #15626132 (external link)
My point was that people got their shot and good shots long before digital came along. The newspaper reporter from yesteryear got the shot with flash camera that had the bulb that was replaced after every shot. National Geo shooters got their shots out in the wilds, sport shooters got their Olympic shots. all from many years ago. Back then people said great photo, today people say great photo. If we still had no digital cameras we would still get the shot. Unless one uses full manual the camera and not the photographer is doing the work. There fore the photographer is no better then his early counterpart.Imho

Compare shots from 30 years ago, sports, landscapes etc and you'll see a big change is quality as well as impact. Just open up an old Sports Illustrated mag or even an old Outdoor Photographer mag and compare to todays mags and the difference is striking. Now either the photogs back then were not very skilled, very unlikely, or today's photogs are using equipment that allows them to capture better images. Just try this comparison and you'll be amazed at the differences.

sponsored links
smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 19, 2013 08:20 |  #107

Azathoth wrote in post #15626727 (external link)
Throw a 1DX at the hands of a amateur photographer whois just starting at photography and i bet he would sell that thing at ebay a few days later and give up photography.

Why? It's a far more capable camera than any other Canon camera

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

2ndviolinman
346 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 19, 2013 08:30 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #108

So, according to the story, a fan said to Jascha Heifetz "Your violin sounds amazing." Heifetz held the instrument to his ear and replied, "Funny; I don't hear anything."

I'm pretty sure I could sound better playing his Strad than my violin, but so what? I would still be stuck with the rest of my limitations. It is not the bottleneck in my career.

This discussion has been going on since one caveman was more successful than another with a club. It is that old.

David
5Dc, 5Dii, Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, 40/2.8 Pancake, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2.0L, 200/2.8L, converted 35mm TS, Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, 70/2.8 Macro, Zeiss ZE 21/2.8, Zeiss Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.7 & 85/2.8, Jena 135/3.5, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO, Canon 28-135.

rusty.jg
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 19, 2013 08:55 as a reply to  @ 2ndviolinman's post |  #109

GEAR MATTERS A LOT..... but only in the following situation:

1) You're not allowed to change the subject
2) You're not allowed to change the composition
3) You're not allowed to change the lighting
4) You're not allowed to move

The a better camera will most likely take a "better" picture (very big inverted commas there) :D

to be OR NOT to be = 1 (which is "to be" so that one's cleared up at last ;-)a)
www.VividCornwall.co.u​k (external link) (external link)
Sony Nex-5n (x2) / Metabones EF-NEX Smart Adapter / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 100mm Macro / Sigma 18-50mm

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 19, 2013 09:33 |  #110

smorter wrote in post #15626930 (external link)
Why? It's a far more capable camera than any other Canon camera

An absolute beginner won't have any idea about why it's more capable; and be annoyed by the bulk and complexity. Basically; they'd probably get better/equal pictures easier with Scene modes on an S110.

My opinion on it; is that certain types of photos are opened up as an option with better gear; artistic vision/photographers eye be damned. Photoshop can be a crutch to narrow the gap (gaussian blur rather than f/1.2, etc)

Where the photog himself comes in is; with equal gear; just being *better*. In a cookie cutter situation; I would argue photographer matters *less*; not more (Once you hit the minimum gear for the given situation). Settings allowing creative lighting/interesting angles/framing/pure gumption (receptions)/etc is where the photographer shines. My engagement shoot for instance; different poses; different light options; just the hours of wandering around until something caught the photogs eye; that's where it matters.

Another way to word it; I think of it as somewhat a chart comparing differences, left side being Cell phone + extremely high skilled, right side being 30k in gear and no idea how to use it. For 'most' situations; i'd say the best photos would come from somewhere in the range of t2i/t3+decent primes with photographer skill. Maybe a super point and shoot with good aperture for blur (if Photoshop counts as photog skill, though it costs more than the camera in this situation so moves the slider significantly..); but I lean towards t3 85 f/1.8 on crop for portraits (as i have my own biases with a lens collection).

Some people don't like it worded as such; but with good gear/software; you can get shots that you just can't get without. That doesn't mean you can't take awesome/amazing photos with cheap gear; but options are opened with better gear (I count photoshop/lightroom/et​c as 'gear', they also take skill to use. I'd like to see the difference in the same photo between 85 f/1.2 vs 85 f/1.8+photoshop as far as blur/CA; final shot with equally skilled photographer... 'digital art vs photo' be damned).

[6D]

melauer
207 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 19, 2013 09:54 |  #111

rusty.jg wrote in post #15627080 (external link)
GEAR MATTERS A LOT..... but only in the following situation:

1) You're not allowed to change the subject
2) You're not allowed to change the composition
3) You're not allowed to change the lighting
4) You're not allowed to move

The a better camera will most likely take a "better" picture (very big inverted commas there) :D

Which more or less describes concert photography, incidentally.

Along those lines, in smaller or more DIY-oriented venues there is very little lighting. I'm thinking of 285 Kent here in Williamsburg, NY. It's a warehouse which fits 500 or so people but the stage is lit by four floodlights (the kind you buy at Home Depot) rather than actual spotlights. And those floodlights are close to the stage floor, not on the ceiling. :rolleyes:

I do not doubt that outside in the daytime or in a controlled studio setting any DSLR can get a good photo. In extreme conditions having the best gear really helps. Actual physical equipment has actual physical limits. If you are pushing those limits then you would probably like them to be less... limiting. You wouldn't shoot BIF with a kit 18-55 (need more reach) and you wouldn't shoot in near-darkness with an ancient camera without a flash (need better high ISO performance).

Rick67
142 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 19, 2013 11:15 as a reply to  @ melauer's post |  #112

It has nothing to do with the camera, heres a quick snap I took with my cell phone cam on vacation in Afghanistan

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 19, 2013 11:22 |  #113

Let's turn everything into extremes to prove a point, should we? I mean it can only be either/or not a combination of both, right?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 19, 2013 12:59 |  #114

If camera didn't matter why do most pros go and buy the best camera they can afford? I tell you why...because gear matters.

And yes I've heard about all the mighty photographers who doesn't need the best gear to take awesome photos and poor mortal average person who has the best gear but can't take pictures anywhere near the same quality as the mighty photographer with his 0.5 megapixel toy camera.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 19, 2013 13:35 |  #115

Rick67 wrote in post #15627684 (external link)
It has nothing to do with the camera, heres a quick snap I took with my cell phone cam on vacation in Afghanistan

IMAGE: http://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/roflmao2.gif

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

julianthebest611
161 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 19, 2013 13:46 |  #116

Well, if Hussain Bolt gave me his running shoes, will I be able to run as fast as him? not really.

50D, T3 (still in the family, but given to my sister), T3i 18-55mm IS II, 50mm 1.8 II, 55-250mm IS II, 75-300mm III, 28-135mm IS USM. 430 EX II, 550 EX, YN-560 II

mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 19, 2013 13:48 |  #117

awesomeshots wrote in post #15628104 (external link)
If camera didn't matter why do most pros go and buy the best camera they can afford? I tell you why...because gear matters.

I agree. I went to a basketball game and was handed a camera because I am a "better photographer" than the person who brought it. The camera was a Rebel XT with a max ISO of 1600 and a 4-5.6 lens. I did the best I could but my 7D 70-200 2.8 II would have simply taken better photos at the same skill level. Gear matters, sometimes.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 19, 2013 13:51 |  #118

julianthebest611 wrote in post #15628313 (external link)
Well, if Hussain Bolt gave me his running shoes, will I be able to run as fast as him? not really.

How is that applicable? Would YOU run faster is right question to ask. And I can guarantee Bolt wouldn't have won gold in a pair of Converse All-stars.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 19, 2013 14:08 |  #119
bannedPermanent ban

julianthebest611 wrote in post #15628313 (external link)

Yes, but does Hussain were cheap $20 shoes from Walmart? I think not. So for him...gear does matter.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,341 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 19, 2013 14:11 |  #120

Love this...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

19,376 views & 1 like for this thread
Better camera = Better photographer?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.