Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A few questions, renting and upgrade

ID ­ rocks
163 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 19, 2013 21:44 |  #1

Before I ask my questions, a little history.
I currently shoot with a T2i, Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD. I purchased this as my first DSLR a year ago.
I know I am going to want to upgrade in another year.

My favorite subjects are birds. Song birds, waterfowl, hawks and falcons and birds in flight. Second would be other wildlife.
I visit Yellowstone National Park a couple times a year and shoot various wildlife there and a fair share of landscape.
I rarely take pictures of people.
I also take a lot of photos of my 3 cats.

Before I get to asking about an upgrade, I would like your opinions on the following.
I plan on taking a birding trip this spring and I am thinking about renting a piece of equipment.
Two scenarios: (I have a budget I have to stick to)
1. Use my T2i and rent a Canon 300mm f/4L IS to use on it(may be the best option as I am already familiar with my T2i)
2. Rent a camera body (5D2, 6D or 7D) and use my Tamron lens.
Of those two scenarios, which would I see the best results for taking bird shots? Which would produce sharper images?

Now, for the upgrade question. I would more than likely buy a used body. Budget would be no more than $1,500.
Options may be a 5D2 or a 6D or 7D.
I would have to use my current Tamron lens for a while until I saved enough for a better lens.

One of the things I struggle with, are shots of waterfowl on the water. A lot of my shots seem to be out of focus.
Don’t know if that’s me, or the camera struggling with focusing on an object sitting on the water and the poor lighting.
I don’t have that problem with birds in trees or on the ground.
Also I need something that does a better job at low light. Prime birding and a lot of wildlife photography is early morning in low light.

Of the listed body’s above, which would be a better choice for my style of shooting?

Thanks for any advice you can share.
Also, if anyone is interested, here is a link to an album I have a few bird photos in.
https://plus.google.co​m …lbums/583090873​6678893409 (external link)

Dan
Canon 7D II, 70D, T2i, Canon 500mm F4L, Tamron 150-600MM F/5-6.3 Di VC USD, Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di USD XLD, Canon Nifty Fifty, Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 Non-VC
Flickr Page (external link)

sponsored links
MrPhejEjHmoob
96 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 19, 2013 21:53 |  #2

For your bird trip, I would suggest renting the 300 f/2.8, it's a much faster lens and will help with your focusing issue.

As for upgrade, you can't go wrong with picking up either one of the three cameras you listed. Though you mention that you plan on doing some wildlife photography that will involved low light situations, in this case a full frame camera like the 5D2 and 6D will come in handy. With the large sensor, you'll be able to shoot in higher ISO and still produce great image quality.

Gears:
Canon G11, 5D, 5D Mark 2, 50 F/1.4, 16-35 F/2.8L, 24-70 F/2.8L, 70-200 F/2.8L, Canon ST-E3, Canon Speedlite 580EX x2

chrismarriott66
797 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 20, 2013 05:08 |  #3

The focus system of the 7d trumps the 5d2 and 6d imho, so if you're mainly birding you might want to consider that as your upgrade. Also, going to a full-frame camera will obviously make your field of view wider with the same lens - so if you like how tight you can get with a crop-sensor camera, then full-frame will require a longer lens to get the same field of view.

I haven't used the Tamron 70-300, so I can't really comment on which lens may or may not be better for you, however, if you're considering the upgrade to something like the 7d / 5d2 etc. then maybe rent one of those too to see how you get on with it? Something to note though is the 300 f4 L is 1.2kg whereas the 300 f2.8 L is 2.5kg... if you're not using a tripod then I'd start pumping some iron for a full day of shooting :)

Chris Marriott Photography (external link)| Facebook (external link)
Complete Gear | 1ds iii | 5d iii | 50d | EF 16-35 f2.8 L USM ii | EF 24-70 f2.8 L USM | Σ 70-200 f2.8 ii EX DG HSM | Σ 35mm f1.4 Art | EF 50mm f1.4 USM | EF 85mm f1.8 USM | EF 85mm f1.2 L USM ii | 600EX-RT | 580EX ii | 430EX ii | YN622Cs |

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 20, 2013 15:15 |  #4

With a no more than $1500 budget, that essentially removes the 6d from the equation.

The 7d has a superb AF and will give you the same FL you see now.
The 5d2 will give you better higher ISO but you will lose some reach using 300mm on a FF body so a 300mm lens on the 5ds will not get you as "close" as 300mm on a crop body. And the AF isn't the greatest. Not saying you can't work with it, but the 7d is much better.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 20, 2013 16:39 |  #5

ID rocks wrote in post #15630112 (external link)
Before I ask my questions, a little history.
I currently shoot with a T2i, Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD. I purchased this as my first DSLR a year ago.
I know I am going to want to upgrade in another year.

My favorite subjects are birds. Song birds, waterfowl, hawks and falcons and birds in flight. Second would be other wildlife.
I visit Yellowstone National Park a couple times a year and shoot various wildlife there and a fair share of landscape.
I rarely take pictures of people.
I also take a lot of photos of my 3 cats.

Before I get to asking about an upgrade, I would like your opinions on the following.
I plan on taking a birding trip this spring and I am thinking about renting a piece of equipment.
Two scenarios: (I have a budget I have to stick to)
1. Use my T2i and rent a Canon 300mm f/4L IS to use on it(may be the best option as I am already familiar with my T2i)
2. Rent a camera body (5D2, 6D or 7D) and use my Tamron lens.
Of those two scenarios, which would I see the best results for taking bird shots? Which would produce sharper images?

I would like to suggest option 1B.: Rent the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L lens to go with your T2i. This is an excellent lens. Sharp, fast focusing and produces great images. I think that you may be making this more difficult by sticking to 300mm FL. In my experience, when shooting photos of birds you always need more FL. I have the EF 100-400L zoom and when I'm shooting birds, it stays on 400mm.

Now, for the upgrade question. I would more than likely buy a used body. Budget would be no more than $1,500.
Options may be a 5D2 or a 6D or 7D.
I would have to use my current Tamron lens for a while until I saved enough for a better lens.

Without a doubt, go for the 7D. It has the same 1.6 crop that you are accustomed to and a MUCH superior AF system. Get the 7D. You won't regret it!

One of the things I struggle with, are shots of waterfowl on the water. A lot of my shots seem to be out of focus.
Don’t know if that’s me, or the camera struggling with focusing on an object sitting on the water and the poor lighting.
I don’t have that problem with birds in trees or on the ground.
Also I need something that does a better job at low light. Prime birding and a lot of wildlife photography is early morning in low light.

Of the listed body’s above, which would be a better choice for my style of shooting?

Thanks for any advice you can share.
Also, if anyone is interested, here is a link to an album I have a few bird photos in.
https://plus.google.co​m …lbums/583090873​6678893409 (external link)

You have some beautiful shots in your gallery, Dan! Nice work!

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

ID ­ rocks
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 20, 2013 19:20 |  #6

Thanks everyone for the response. That really helps a lot. I think a 7d is the way to go.

Yogi Bear, I will take your advice and rent the 400mm, and thanks for the kind words on my gallery. I may have to start posting photos here on potn. I have always been a little intimidated and reluctant to post them.

Thanks again everyone.

Dan

Dan
Canon 7D II, 70D, T2i, Canon 500mm F4L, Tamron 150-600MM F/5-6.3 Di VC USD, Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di USD XLD, Canon Nifty Fifty, Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 Non-VC
Flickr Page (external link)

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 21, 2013 10:48 |  #7

ID rocks wrote in post #15633673 (external link)
Thanks everyone for the response. That really helps a lot. I think a 7d is the way to go.

Yogi Bear, I will take your advice and rent the 400mm, and thanks for the kind words on my gallery. I may have to start posting photos here on potn. I have always been a little intimidated and reluctant to post them.

Thanks again everyone.

Dan

You're quite welcome, Dan!

Don't be shy! You've got some wonderful images in your gallery! Go ahead and share!

Yogi

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

sponsored links

1,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
A few questions, renting and upgrade
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.