Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Roadtriping all around Canada and the USA what are your ''Must see''?

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 14, 2013 16:49 |  #46

I don't know. I have more fond memories of driving up and down random dirt roads in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island with family and friends than I do from my family's trip to Disney World.

As awesome as the Grand Canyon is, no visit there is likely to compare to your memories someone freaking out and running away from a squirrel or something that got in their tent on that random night it was pouring rain and you got completely lost for two days.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links
dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 14, 2013 16:52 |  #47

Luckless wrote in post #15610706 (external link)
I don't know. I have more fond memories of driving up and down random dirt roads in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island with family and friends than I do from my family's trip to Disney World.

As awesome as the Grand Canyon is, no visit there is likely to compare to your memories someone freaking out and running away from a squirrel or something that got in their tent on that random night it was pouring rain and you got completely lost for two days.

Yeah, but how awesome would it be if that happened AT THE GRAND CANYON? :)

Cheers, Damien

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 14, 2013 16:53 |  #48

Luckless wrote in post #15610706 (external link)

In that case, you can save up on gas, come back to PEI and camp out there.

Why are you driving around the continent, exactly?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 14, 2013 16:56 |  #49

dodgyexposure wrote in post #15610714 (external link)
Yeah, but imagine that happening AT THE GRAND CANYON:)

They don't have squirrels. They have scorpions, centipedes and rattlesnakes. And being lost for two days in a desert...

Disney makes me puke too, but I don't see how it can be compared to a developed campsite.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 14, 2013 17:03 |  #50

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15610715 (external link)
Why are you driving around the continent, exactly?

Because there is only so much to be seen in New Brunswick and PEI? Eventually we need to find new places in which to generate interesting stories to tell. Everyone in my group of friends knows what a beaver is, but I'm sure there are some 'mostly harmless' small animals in the South West USA that could help setup some excellent tales to remember.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

spyderpig
192 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 14, 2013 20:34 |  #51

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15610601 (external link)
IF you choose to go free, you'll end up driving through the country waking up in random dirt roads, fields or forest patches

That's exactly the reason TO do that. I'm not saying avoid the national parks, because they are great, but I encourage people to get off the beaten path and see the real US.

Like this guy did on one of my other forums.
http://www.ultimateyot​a.com …f&Itemid=26&top​ic=10140.0 (external link)

If I see a dirt road, I love to take it and see where it goes.

On one of my camping forums somebody has a signature line that says, "hookups tie you to uninteresting places". This can be extended to "touristy places tie you to uninteresting places" although, again, by all means see the national parks too.

T2i | Canon 15-85mm | kit 55-250mm | Sigma 80-400mm
Harsh and honest C & C is ALWAYS encouraged for any of my photos.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 15, 2013 00:27 |  #52

I've done my share of "off the beaten track"/"dirt road" adventures! Not so much "photo ops", but some fun stories and memories!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2013 01:53 |  #53

Well, tomorrow is the day! We'll be leaving Vancouver and head off to the US! Our first stop will be in Seattle, Robert offered to tours us and us great photography spots, this trip starts very well!

After Seattle, what do you suggest? Pretty much open to everything, but as a user mentionned a couple of posts above, we'll try to make as much as possible while still being fuel efficent as much as possible.

Hi, I'm David.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 17, 2013 14:42 |  #54

Little update. We visited Seattle with doidinho (Robert) and he even hosted us for the night. We had a lot of fun, thanks again Robert

Right now we are in Oregon, heading off to the sand dunes and Cape Perpetua. Than it'll be Redwood and San Francisco. If we ever come by near you, just drop me a PM we'd love to meet, visit and have fun with new people!

Here's a shot I took from Seattle from Kerry Park:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Hi, I'm David.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 17, 2013 20:53 |  #55

Well, hey, you drove right through Vancouver, I missed you, but that's a nice Seattle shot from a "classic" spot!

Take your time on the Oregon Coast, some very nice spots, and then California is a whole world to explore!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tstowe
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 17, 2013 22:35 |  #56

If you are heading to Florida, you need to visit South Carolina and Georgia...Specifically Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah. Everyone knows about Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA but Beaufort isn't too bad either.

The Civil War started here (articles of secession for South Carolina were written here). We have 200 and 300 year old churches here...one with British Revolutionary War officers in the cemetery. We have one church (just ruins now) that was burned by the British, rebuilt and burned again by General Sherman's army. We have a lighthouse and shrimp boats...Penn Center (retreat for MLK Jr) and Parris Island (Marine boot camp). Forrest Gump, The Big Chill, The Great Santini, GI Jane and a few more were also filmed here.

Not bad for a town of 12,000.

www.ToddStowe.com (external link)
www.TheTalon.SmugMug.c​om (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 19, 2013 00:31 |  #57

Well, heck, then they'd have to go to Boston, Concord, and Bunker Hill!

Tony

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 19, 2013 08:50 |  #58

How's the trip going David? Nice pic from the park.

I checked your weather yesterday; looks like rain. I think the Oregon Gorge would photograph really well in the rain. Even if its not raining, make sure and bring a plastic bag for your camera and plenty of lens cloths to clear away the mist from the falls.

I'm guessing cape perpetua would be less rewarding photographically during the rain, so hope you aren't stuck waiting out the weather there.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 19, 2013 23:02 |  #59

Doing very great actually, a part from the rain storm we had this morning while sleeping in our tent.

We actually drove it pretty fast, we want hot temperatures! Cannon beach, cape perpetua, the sand dunes in Oregon.. Weather was quite bad sadly :(

Here is where we are right now!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Hi, I'm David.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 20, 2013 00:44 |  #60

Hang on, is that the Golden Gate Bridge? You're getting ahead of youselves!

Tony

sponsored links

8,744 views & 0 likes for this thread
Roadtriping all around Canada and the USA what are your ''Must see''?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.