Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Feb 2013 (Monday) 15:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting my FIRST Wedding in March...HELP!

peepdeets
51 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 18, 2013 17:32 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

JamesDurbinMedia wrote in post #15624885 (external link)
It blows my mind how you can say you got booked to do weddings without a portfolio or prior experience with them. Why on earth do you think this is something you should just jump into. Weddings are not something you do just for fun, you are documenting the best day of someone's lives. Leave it the professionals, the clients will get a better product. And you will be helping those who actually pay their bills with their cameras instead of making their livelihood into something you just want to try out.

Dontcha know?... everyone with a beginner dslr and kit lens is a pro! ;)

sponsored links
mdaddyrabbit
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 18, 2013 17:45 |  #17

As some of you most likely read in my post in this section, I have a wedding to photograph in May. My opinion if you are honest and up front with the couple about your experience then I don't see a issue with it. I don't have a portfolio but I do have a website with some examples. I say go for it and enjoy yourself. Only speaking for myself, I started at the bottom with nothing so if I fail, I don't have far to fall. If you stay in your comfort zone you will never move forward.

Website (external link)

CANON

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,816 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 18, 2013 18:11 |  #18

JamesDurbinMedia wrote in post #15624885 (external link)
It blows my mind how you can say you got booked to do weddings without a portfolio or prior experience with them. Why on earth do you think this is something you should just jump into. Weddings are not something you do just for fun, you are documenting the best day of someone's lives. Leave it the professionals, the clients will get a better product. And you will be helping those who actually pay their bills with their cameras instead of making their livelihood into something you just want to try out.

peepdeets wrote in post #15624894 (external link)
Dontcha know?... everyone with a beginner dslr and kit lens is a pro! ;)

well the guy is a full time photographer, so he's got that going into it. A wedding is just an all day portrait session. TS should stick to a formula of shots. Wedding photography comes down to a formula really, and I dont think a full time photog would need much work to do one. I think he can work off of a list and be a second shooter for a couple of weddings.... if not, work off a list.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 18, 2013 19:10 |  #19

whitleydanielle wrote in post #15624339 (external link)
I have booked several weddings without even having a portfolio up and now I'm freaking out. I have NEVER shot a wedding and I want some good, SUPPORTIVE advice. Yeah crack a joke but then help if you can or please be nice and don't say anything at all.

I have a Canon Rebel T3i with the standard lens it came with and a 70-300mm.

I have ordered a fisheye lense to get those cool reception shots.

What else do I NEED? Just to get decent photos and work my way into getting ALL the right equipment?

Let's say, what lens (excluding the fish eye, and two that i already have) should be a MUST?

And what type of flash & diffuser/globe/etc should be a MUST?

And should I be present for the rehearsal or just get a detailed sit-down chat with the bride and/or groom about all that stuff?

Please be gentle :)

EDIT: WOw, I have been reading on this forum and I sound HORRIBLY inexperienced. I have been doing photography for about a year FULL TIME. I do most newborns, families, & maternity. Everyone has to start somewhere and I just really need some good, helpful advice. Anything at all will be great. I have awesome people skills, know I need to eat well and take breaks when I can, & have extra cards ready to go as well as batteries and an extra body if possible. I really just have concerns with the flash equipment (I'm a natural light photographer and know little nothing about flash) and any lenses that are a MUST HAVE.

I see you has been a 'full time photographer' for a year... and you have been advertising for 'free' wedding packages on your website since the beginning of the year.

given the top end package listed on your website is $600, i'm sure expectations have been set accordingly.

a few questions you need to cover if you really want help and a few basic 'dos':

1) is this in a church? or at the JP? Outside?
2) is it ONLY the ceremony? Which one of your wedding investment packages are you shooting for here?
3) do you have enough practice with off camera flash to use that? bounce flash? do you have enough time to shoot a few hundred shots off for practice with a good flash before the wedding?
4) do you have a contract the protects you from being sued in the event things don't come out to the bride's satisfaction?

If this is going to be in a church, you are going to NEED NEED NEED fast focusing, wide aperture lenses.

You are going to NEED a body that has really good autofocus in low light.
(these two because most ceremonies don't allow flash photography, so you have to use what is available)

you NEED to have a plan. A shooting list (there are tons of them on the internet) discussed and approved by the bride (or whomever hired you) and yourself is the START. you need to figure out how your going to get the shots. Give yourself plenty of time to scout the church. You mentioned the rehearsal. go to that. take every chance you can get to practice. Pick some spots for 'formals' (assuming those are on your list).

Be prepared to step up and order people around, if thats what it takes to get the shots on your list done. Don't be afraid to elbow people out of your way, if they insist on jumping in the middle of your shot. :)

I was actually serious that you may want to consider paying a more experienced wedding photographer to do this. If you can cut a good enough deal with him/her, they will bring $10k in equipment with them to shoot, you will fulfill your obligation, and get a chance to practice with no pressure.

check into rental gear. at the very least for the lenses and flash if needed.

For camera settings: with the body & lenses you have, expect to go to '6400 or H' ISO in order to get an acceptable shutter speed. if the church is really dark, It just can't be helped. the images are going to be grainy and look like crap in color, so just expect to end up making them black and white or processing them all to hell n gone.

if your a wiz with editing, and shooting in raw, you can probably pull a lot out even then, but your fighting the edge of what the equipment is capable of (again, if the church is dark).

and finally: if you can't take some straight up honest criticism about how you found yourself asking for 'emergency tips on wedding photography' without being able to take the inevitable flames for doing so, you may want to seriously consider if you have the mindset to deal with event photography. people are going to step in front of you while your shooting. they are going to know your doing it, and step in front of you with their iphone, so they can get a 'better shot'. They will take your gear, if you leave it sitting unattended. they will get drunk and hit on you, shout at you, call you names, and generally be ugly with you. with some customers, nothing you do will be good enough. You will break someone's heart because they refused to smile through their entire wedding, and they blame YOU for not getting a 'good enough' shot of them, and refuse to pay. and on and on and on. Those are rare, but they do happen.

I only bring it up because you need to take a good, hard look at yourself, and admit that you resorted to asking an online forum 'how do I shoot a wedding I booked, i've never ever done one before.'

The reason is brutal: It puts your business at risk for being sued for triple damages in texas if your client decides your work 1) isn't worth the money they paid and 2) discovers they were your first wedding. (i'm going to assume you told them it was your first wedding, so maybe this isn't THAT bad).

None of the responses on this thread have been harsh at all, simple straight up advice based on what you have shared of your experience, equipment, and the fact you started the thread with "OMG! I've never done a wedding before!" I guess it _would_ be overly 'harsh' to point out you probably shouldn't be advertising to shoot people's wedding for money, and then join a photo forum with the hopes that there is magical secret formula for shooting weddings in a dark church with a kit lens and a base model DSLR. So just forget anyone suggested that might be fraud at worst, and misleading at best... because a year of shooting posed subjects _does_ make you "horribly inexperienced" in event photography. :rolleyes:

Good luck, with enough planning and practice, and guts, I'm sure you will do a fine job.

rpaul
636 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 18, 2013 19:22 |  #20

If you do not know what equipment you need to shoot a wedding, you should not be shooting weddings. Full stop.

Rob | rmpaul.com (external link)
Gear 'n Stuff (external link)
C&C always welcome

2Live4
671 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 18, 2013 19:28 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

I was watching BH Photo channel on Youtube last night, so I found a few clips that I might think useful to you.

These aren't from BH, but a few helpful ones.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=xZHWUa11DAg (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=9yBzbZ_a9GE (external link)

GOOD LUCK!!!

~Khánh - an amateur bOkeh-OLic
5D III & Some L's
Feedback | flickr (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 18, 2013 21:07 |  #22

rpaul wrote in post #15625257 (external link)
If you do not know what equipment you need to shoot a wedding, you should not be shooting weddings. Full stop.

Spot on!

Peter

bbvdm
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 19, 2013 07:25 |  #23

mdaddyrabbit wrote in post #15624940 (external link)
As some of you most likely read in my post in this section, I have a wedding to photograph in May. My opinion if you are honest and up front with the couple about your experience then I don't see a issue with it. I don't have a portfolio but I do have a website with some examples. I say go for it and enjoy yourself. Only speaking for myself, I started at the bottom with nothing so if I fail, I don't have far to fall. If you stay in your comfort zone you will never move forward.

It's not about you. It's about the client.

Canon 5D MkII gripped, Canon 7D gripped, Canon 40D gripped, Canon XTI (IR) gripped, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 60 Macro 2.8, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS , Canon 24-105 4.0, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sekonic L-358, Canon Speedlite 580-EX II, (2)430-EX, Pocket Wizards, lots of other stuff that seems to keep growing...:lol:

mdaddyrabbit
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 19, 2013 07:44 |  #24

bbvdm wrote in post #15626797 (external link)
It's not about you. It's about the client.

Agreed, but when a client comes to you and says, (Client)I want you to photograph my wedding. I like your work and your price. Now I say to the client. (to the client) You know I have only done 3 weddings before and I am still considered a amateur. (Client) Yes, I am aware that you have not done but 3 weddings but I want to hire you for the bridal portrait, wedding and the reception. (Me) Okay, here is my price sheet and a contract stating what I do. Read and if you still want me sign the contract.

When I am approached for the job and I divulge all the facts along with examples of my work and they are interested in hiring me; you are right its not about me, it's about what the client wants. They want me and I am excited to give them a great job and enjoy bettering my craft.

Website (external link)

CANON

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 20, 2013 06:52 |  #25

informed consent is a wonderful thing :D

Northwest ­ Photography
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 20, 2013 07:07 |  #26

Hi, i agree with everyone else to a point. But you do have to start somewhere. very surprised you haven't emailed several wedding photographers to see if you can assistant a wedding to get an idea of the pressure and whats expected, just with the basics. Also amazed you've got bookings without having example photos. Definitely email some local photographers.

www.northwestphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 20, 2013 07:24 |  #27

The OP is booking weddings based on her previous work with family, maternity, engagement, seniors... etc.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 20, 2013 12:30 |  #28

If I were in your (OP) situation, I'd grab:
- canon 5d classic (to use as main camera)
- 2 x 430ex flash (used for ~200)
- 50mm 1.8

And I'd rent a 70-200 2.8 IS (about $40 per weekend) for each of the weddings.

I'd spend every single day learning how to use that flash.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

redbeardbeau
59 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 20, 2013 19:40 |  #29

I havn't shot any weddings yet, but plan to so I went out and bought a really good book on the subject that I'm about halfway through that is extremely helpful. It is called "profitable wedding photography" and is by Elizabeth Etienne (one of the best wedding photographers in the world, also on the board of advisers for Kodak... Everything ive read from people who know better than me is true, the camera body you got will not cut it, nor will kit lenses. I think this book would be good for you as it will outline what you should expect and i think it will give you some insight on what you're really in for and how much planning you need to do as well as how much work afterwords you will be doing. Gives you workflow ideas, shot lists, contract examples, etc. It was like $12 on my tablet from google, im sure you can get it elsewhere though or in hardback. VERY GOOD READ! good luck...

Beau
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/beaucaldwell (external link)
7D gripped | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.8 ii | 70-200 f/2.8L | 600EX-RT | Canon TC-80N3 Timer Remote

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 21, 2013 07:22 |  #30

Hey OP, why are you posting those prices on your website? you're killing yourself before even starting.
Why not just post ad on craiglist for free wedding shoot?

here is a link to some great tips https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1074784
and search, we have tons of great tips in this website and great photogs.

Good luck, but I think you're nuts lmao you need to get your gear before trying to shoot wedding, this is not a portrait section like someone mentioned here, a wedding is lots of running around all day and you need to know those moments that you should not miss. PLEAE get some fast lenses and rest a 5d or buy it, they're so cheap now.

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

sponsored links

5,088 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting my FIRST Wedding in March...HELP!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.