Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 21:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any Idea Why My Picture Looks Like This?

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,915 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 19, 2013 18:14 as a reply to  @ post 15629261 |  #61

I didn't realize you were saving in ACR. I tried that and got a screwed up jpeg as well when converted to Grayscale, Q12, jpeg. I did notice something though - down at the bottom where the blue hyperlink is, click it, and change the colorspace to sRGB and try saving as Q12 jpeg. See what happens. It worked ok on mine. Originally it was saving in a Grayscale Gamma mode.

*****should have went back and reread the Adobe forum before posting, :o *****

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 19, 2013 18:23 |  #62

Fitness Freak wrote in post #15629261 (external link)
Thanks Tony! I'll look into those books. Right now I have Scott Kelby's books on Lightroom 3 and his on CS6. I love books that are idiot-proof because I hate computers so I like step by step, easy instructions. I also enjoy Kelby's sense of humor which I'm sure drives engineer types crazy. :)

Hey, the Kelby book got me started with Lightroom 1 a bunch of years ago, I encourage folks to get that as an LR "primer", but hey, I also have an early edition of Jeff's book, back when it was called "Real World Camera Raw". Jeff has been involved in some of the "deep levels" of Raw processing so has some good in-depth insight, and, as you've seen, he can make use of that in helping us "layman" users of both ACR and Lightroom!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Fitness ­ Freak
THREAD ­ STARTER
840 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 19, 2013 18:38 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #63

I didn't realize you were saving in ACR. I tried that and got a screwed up jpeg as well when converted to Grayscale, Q12, jpeg. I did notice something though - down at the bottom where the blue hyperlink is, click it, and change the colorspace to sRGB and try saving as Q12 jpeg. See what happens. It worked ok on mine. Originally it was saving in a Grayscale Gamma mode.

Thanks Dennis. Yeah, you figured out my problem without realizing it. I never would have looked at the hyperlink. But, it's still nice to know that it's an issue with CS6 and not any of my equiment.
@Tony, I've learned a lot from my Kelby books and think they're great for newbies. A fellow photographer friend of mine here just gave me for my birthday the 6th edition Q-A Box of index cards by Suzette Allen which is for CS6. I haven't used it yet but I'm sure that I will.

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 19, 2013 20:21 |  #64

Fitness Freak wrote in post #15629466 (external link)
@Tony, I've learned a lot from my Kelby books and think they're great for newbies. A fellow photographer friend of mine here just gave me for my birthday the 6th edition Q-A Box of index cards by Suzette Allen which is for CS6. I haven't used it yet but I'm sure that I will.

Good to know that you are building up your "library"! My first few years of "serious" photography ended up with me having piles of books, some of which I've never read, but I agree, the Kelby LR book is a great one for getting started! Another LR "classic" is authored by Martin Evening one and he goes more in-depth and "technical" than Kelby, but I'd say you were good to get started with the Kelby book, very hands-on, and when you are done with it you really "know" a lot of Lightroom, hey, then you can be a POTN "Expert":)!

And I'm glad you got some real expert input there in the Adobe forum. It's cool that when someone encounters a problem, and can't get the answers here, they can go there and meet some "masters"!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,066 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 20, 2013 07:12 |  #65

SO, to recap. Hopefully everything is sorted out and you can avoid the problem until the next update of ACR. Hopefully you got the impression that people want to help and that it is really important when people ask you about your workflow to make sure that you are as accurate and detailed as possible in your description. Remote troubleshooting is not a cut and dry process, but I'm glad everything worked out. And, your problem was solved by one of the forces of the Adobe and photography community - Jeff Schewe. You may want to consider going to the Luminous Landscape website and, if you are a visual learner, see if his LR videos are worth your purchasing them.

have fun on your trip!

kirk

Kirk
---

Fitness ­ Freak
THREAD ­ STARTER
840 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 20, 2013 08:26 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #66

Thanks Kirk! I am definately a visual learner so I'll have to check them out. On the other forum Jeff said the same thing about workflow which I get, it's just very hard to remember when you're explaining the problem on two different forums and you've explained your workflow several times at different points and to varying degrees-to keep track of who you've told what especially when you throw in all the frustration of being unable to post anything that you're trying to post in one of those forums. I'm generally very calm and patient but I was definately getting agravated in the other forum yesterday prior to you posting that stuff for me. In the end, all you guys on both forums were great!

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,066 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 20, 2013 08:48 |  #67

The key issue was no one, including me, understood that you were converting to black and white in ACR. I got the impression that you were doing this in PS.

kirk

Kirk
---

Fitness ­ Freak
THREAD ­ STARTER
840 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 20, 2013 08:59 |  #68

Now do you see why I couldn't keep track of who I told what? On the top of page three in this forum I said,

I accessed my RAW files using mini-bridge, opened in "Camera RAW", changed the image to "grey scale" and then proceeded to tweak the exposure, contrast, shadows, whites, etc. Here's the image that I just quickly edited to experiment.

At one point I tried to copy and paste that (my workflow) into the Adobe forum but it wouldn't let me copy and paste, it kept trying to get me to insert a link. Oh well, I'm just glad we figured it out.

mfeveland
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 20, 2013 09:09 |  #69

Fitness Freak - Very nice pictures on your website.

Canon T2i/550D - 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and 50mm 1.8
Happy Trails

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,915 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 20, 2013 09:15 |  #70

kirkt wrote in post #15631347 (external link)
The key issue was no one, including me, understood that you were converting to black and white in ACR. I got the impression that you were doing this in PS.

kirk

I missed that part too, but the main part I missed was saving from ACR.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

Fitness ­ Freak
THREAD ­ STARTER
840 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 20, 2013 09:22 |  #71

Fitness Freak - Very nice pictures on your website.

Thank you mfeveland! I appreciate that!

I missed that part too, but the main part I missed was saving from ACR.

Don't worry about it Dennis. I said somewhere on page 2 in this forum that I do almost all of my editing in Camera RAW and I rarely ever use photoshop, but it's very easy to miss posts and I just greatly appreciate all you guys' willingness to try and help me out! And the next time you all get some photoshop rookie like me on here asking a question like this, you'll all immediately ask about the whole ACR and greyscale thing. ;)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,915 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 20, 2013 09:28 |  #72

Fitness Freak wrote in post #15631462 (external link)
Don't worry about it Dennis. I said somewhere on page 2 in this forum that I do almost all of my editing in Camera RAW and I rarely ever use photoshop...

I rarely "save" from within ACR so it didn't click. Main thing is - you got it figured out!

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 20, 2013 14:15 |  #73

I think it's awesome to see our forums at work, and to see problems either solved or at least explained -- I think we all learned something here!

Tony

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 20, 2013 21:19 |  #74

Fitness Freak wrote in post #15629088 (external link)
I think we may have FINALLY figured out the problem!!! According to one guy on the forum "There is a known issue with Camera Raw 7.3 where B&W images saved as grayscale images from Camera Raw in JPEG are corrupted because of a bad profile. The work around is to open the images into Photoshop (and not save from Camera Raw) and then save as JPEGs. Alternatively, you can still save JPEGs from Camera Raw is you embedded a color profile instead of a greyscale profile, so, save the JPEG as an Adobe RGB, sRGB or ProPhoto RGB color space instead of greyscale.

This is a known issue which will be fixed in the next version of ACR."

THAT would explain it ALL.

I tried this for my own amusement (ACR 7.3), and what do you know ... I can totally reproduce what you saw with one of my own files. Seems it likes my Nikon NEF files even less since I got the red corrupt jpegs no matter which quality setting I selected. :lol:

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Fitness ­ Freak
THREAD ­ STARTER
840 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 20, 2013 21:59 |  #75

I tried this for my own amusement (ACR 7.3), and what do you know ... I can totally reproduce what you saw with one of my own files. Seems it likes my Nikon NEF files even less since I got the red corrupt jpegs no matter which quality setting I selected.

Maybe we should start a thread and see who can figure out HOW to duplicate our cool new photo editing style. ;) I'm really loving this forum Tony and I'm glad it worked so well-in this case at least!

sponsored links

7,665 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any Idea Why My Picture Looks Like This?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.