Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 23:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much abuse can a DSLR take? (Durability)

4100xpb
66 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 20, 2013 10:26 |  #16

M_Six wrote in post #15631493 (external link)
When you're out running border patrols, don't leave it on top of the jeep and drive away. It definitely won't survive crashing to the pavement at the first turn. Trust me, I know this from experience.:oops:

Serves you right for 'outrunning' the border patrol;)

sponsored links
kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 20, 2013 11:23 |  #17

AJ153 wrote in post #15630476 (external link)
Is the 7D and 60D the same build?

Here's a Rebel.....
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8 (external link)

The 60D is between the Rebel and the 7D.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 20, 2013 11:34 |  #18

kfreels wrote in post #15631880 (external link)
Here's a Rebel.....
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8 (external link)

The 60D is between the Rebel and the 7D.

I wonder if any of these cameras were re-sold as "New"........ lol

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 20, 2013 12:36 |  #19

sandpiper wrote in post #15631630 (external link)
I would change that to "you may need to ...." . Saying that you will need to is stating that it will need service after every single knock. I fully agree that a lens can take internal damage without showing any signs externally, but that isn't automatically going to be the case. My lenses have had lots of knocks and (so far, touch wood) have not had any elements knocked out of place.

You definitely could knock nails in with a 1Dx, digital rev knocked nails in with a rebel in one of their durability test videos. Of course, they were not using big nails and a hard wood like mahogany. I have to confess that I was once hanging a picture and needed to knock a tack into the wall and didn't have a hammer handy, I looked around for something suitable to bang it in with and the only thing that came to hand was my trusty 5Dc. It did a good job [It was a lathe and plaster wall, so not too hard to drive the tack in].

Will, may, technicalities! :rolleyes:
It's pretty obvious where to draw the line just from using common sense. If nothing is rattling inside, and a shot of a brick wall shows equal amounts of focus at each corner, there's nothing wrong then.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 20, 2013 18:56 |  #20

AJ153 wrote in post #15630454 (external link)
Well I'm a hobbyist photographer, and I just got a 60D (my first). I have a mild OCD, and think minor events would ruin things. I dont really care about the outside cosmetics of my camera. Its a tool, I don't want to baby it too much, cos all I care about is using it take good pictures. I do care about the inside mechanics, makeing sure its the best it can be. Can the 60D withstand small accidents like light bumps/hits onto walls,poles,doors? [/I]

I slipped on some ice and landed so hard on my camera (Xsi) that my ribs hurt for 2 weeks, but the camera was fine. Couple of chips in the plastic, but I could never see anything wrong with the pictures. So dropping a camera a foot and half, or bumping it, should be nothing.

Flickr (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 20, 2013 19:03 |  #21

Let's see...I've had a 40d come off the lens, while carrying my rig on a shoulder strap and fall 2-ish feet onto concrete, had my 7D top LCD fill completely with water and been thrown from a snowmobile @ 30mph, while wearing my 7D on a shoulder clip on my backpack and they both still work fine. I don't suggest DOING any of these things, and it's best to try and avoid extreme stress on the equipment; but, they really are more durable than one usually thinks :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 20, 2013 22:05 |  #22

In other words, they are pretty darned rugged. But there is always that small chance that when dropped or whatever it will hit in just the wrong way at just the wrong time to cause some bad damage. So just use it. Use it wherever you think you need it. Don't pass on great shots because you fear damaging the camera. But be as careful as possible with it as you use it to limit the risk.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,536 posts
Gallery: 396 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 21, 2013 13:49 |  #23

The 60D is pretty resilient in my 14 months with it.

It has been completely soaked in rain twice during football season here in FL, and aside from it needing to dry out overnight it works perfect. Pretty impressive, really.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 21, 2013 23:32 |  #24

sandpiper wrote in post #15631196 (external link)
I haven't got a 60D, but I had a 20D which survived 6 years of abuse very well, including regular bumps into walls, poles, doors, other cameras and the floor. It also survived a few drops as well, onto a variety of surfaces (some hard) from various heights up to several feet. It's replacement, a 40D has now had about 18 months of such treatment, my 5Dc has had about 7 years of it and my new 5D III is getting it too. None of these cameras ever broke.

Typically, I will have two cameras with me, often thrown over the same shoulder so they bang together as I am walking. The one not in use is usually swinging free as I shoot, so takes knocks.

In short, I don't baby my gear in the slightest. I am not recommending that you throw your gear around, after all the next hit one of mine takes could catch it at a bad angle and it could be toast. I am just saying don't worry about every little bump...

That sounds pretty much like my gear

RDKirk wrote in post #15631217 (external link)
...Consider the body about as durable as a cell phone in a plastic cell phone case, lenses about as durable as a cell phone without a case.

Good analogy

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

butcherman
915 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 22, 2013 16:43 as a reply to  @ philwillmedia's post |  #25

Well I guess I was the unlucky one.- Last June I knocked my 40D out the car door onto a gravel driveway and it died. Insurance paid for it and I now have a 60D......... Guess it just depends on how it lands.

Canon 7D, Canon 50mm F1.8 STM, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM , Yongnuo YN560 IV

rawshooter
89 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 23, 2013 07:59 |  #26

Corbeau wrote in post #15631420 (external link)
I really like that analogy... Thanks from a new 7D owner...

IMAGE: http://www.pusatkamera.com/images/product/15/7dallow.jpg

Don't know too many cell phones with this type of body.It's pretty robust, i've tripped and landed with my full weight on it.(300) I got up thinking i had broken it. I don't think it actually did anything except get it dirty. I was probably in more danger with the lens getting scratched.

7D
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lookwhatidid (external link)
http://500px.com/jstcr​oix9 (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,984 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 23, 2013 10:52 |  #27

rawshooter wrote in post #15643018 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Don't know too many cell phones with this type of body.It's pretty robust, i've tripped and landed with my full weight on it.(300) I got up thinking i had broken it. I don't think it actually did anything except get it dirty. I was probably in more danger with the lens getting scratched.

Except that even with that kind of body, if it happens to hit just the wrong way, it will still be toast. People don't normally baby their cell phones, nor do they need to baby their cameras to any greater extent. But at the same time, it's not a hockey puck.

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 26, 2013 09:52 |  #28

RDKirk wrote in post #15643456 (external link)
But at the same time, it's not a hockey puck.

You just gave me a great idea for a timed exposure... :lol:

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 26, 2013 21:25 |  #29

I have seen a video with a 7D... frozen in a block of ice, set on fire and throw down a long flight of stairs and still worked and even took nice images. Camera looked like toast but still clicked away.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

bronic
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 27, 2013 00:55 |  #30

crimsonblack wrote in post #15656151 (external link)
I have seen a video with a 7D... frozen in a block of ice, set on fire and throw down a long flight of stairs and still worked and even took nice images. Camera looked like toast but still clicked away.

See the #2 post...

A6000 - 35mm 1.8, 55-210, 16-50
Selling Canon 70-200 2.8
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=1439270

sponsored links

14,192 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much abuse can a DSLR take? (Durability)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.