Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Feb 2013 (Monday) 08:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sling Strap And Backpack

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,454 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 11, 2013 19:59 |  #16

Sirrith wrote in post #15599987 (external link)
Does the capture system work with L plates?

The Capture Clip requires its own plate be mounted on the camera in order to function, but they offer those plates in AS and RS2 formats. I'd imagine you'd need a specialty built L bracket, which they don't have in the arsenal, yet; although it wouldn't surprise me if they have one in the works.

Depending on the bracket you already have, you *could* screw the CC plate onto the bottom of the L bracket, but that seems awful clunky to me. In the case of those brackets, I'd hold off and see if they put one out sometime over the next year.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 11, 2013 20:01 |  #17

Hmm, I see. Thanks Eric. I'll keep an eye out.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Glenlivet
94 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 14, 2013 11:54 |  #18

I've been reserching a very simaler topic, I wanted a way to carry a camera bag with my backpacking/hiking pack, what I am getting will be the ThinkTank DH 40 Holster. It can mount either to your belt or your backpack belt (if it has one) there is also a shoulder strap and a mounting strap to connect it to your backpack shoulder straps, keeping the bag right in front of you. There are different sizes depending on wheter you are using a gripped or pro size camera body and it expands for lens lenth.

http://www.thinktankph​oto.com …/holster-camera-bags.aspx (external link)

My Flickr account (external link)
My 500px Portfolio (external link)
Google+ Inland Empire Photographers (external link)

Calicajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,922 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 14, 2013 14:14 |  #19

Glenlivet wrote in post #15609743 (external link)
I've been reserching a very simaler topic, I wanted a way to carry a camera bag with my backpacking/hiking pack, what I am getting will be the ThinkTank DH 40 Holster. It can mount either to your belt or your backpack belt (if it has one) there is also a shoulder strap and a mounting strap to connect it to your backpack shoulder straps, keeping the bag right in front of you. There are different sizes depending on wheter you are using a gripped or pro size camera body and it expands for lens lenth.

http://www.thinktankph​oto.com …/holster-camera-bags.aspx (external link)

Thinking about getting one of those also, but mostly to use when at places like Disneyland and other family parks.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

JDeluis
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 15, 2013 03:39 |  #20

How about the Joby Ultrafit Sling Strap? (external link)

I used it with no problem with a backpack this past weekend when I went to San Diego Safari Park. I use a Incase DSLR Pro Backpack. It adjust from the front, so the backpack should not have much impact. You can also purchase it from some Best Buy if you don't want to travel too far.

Flickr Photostream (external link)

Calicajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,922 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 15, 2013 11:44 as a reply to  @ JDeluis's post |  #21

JDeluis,
Nice looking strap system, think I'm going to go with one of the strap system that come with a base plate unit. With all the suggestion given so far I have been spending a lot a time watching video reviews am the ones with a base plate are winning me over so far.

Suggestions welcome.

RedCanyoneer
168 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2013 11:46 |  #22

This thread is very timely. I'm also in the market for a new sling strap - I'm currently using a single-point rifle sling that was given to me. I didn't like it as a rifle sling, but do as a camera sling. However, the previous comment about the mount being able to slide along the strap (like on the Black Rapid) makes sense, as I'm always "dragging" my current strap to get the camera up.

I use it in conjunction with a waist bag (Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW), which works well for me while out hiking/ scrambling. Extra gear (lenses, filters, etc.) live in my Camelbak.

ETA: Whatever I end up replacing my current system with will need to work with an L-plate.

cassidy415
20 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 20, 2013 09:44 as a reply to  @ RedCanyoneer's post |  #23

you can build your own sling strap for <$20

I made a pretty handy one by getting a luggage strap from a luggage store, a large keyring and a quarter inch ring bolt from the hardware store. Love it.

I'll try to remember to post pics of mine when I get home.

honestly, there's no good reason to spend $50-100 for a branded strap "system" when you can build one to your specifications for significantly cheaper.

Canon T3i|15-85mm IS|18-55mm|55-250mm|40mm f/2.8
and loving it.

Calicajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,922 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 20, 2013 10:08 as a reply to  @ cassidy415's post |  #24

Looks like I'm going for one of the better build name brand straps. Started off looking at a cheap Best Buy sling strap that would also take a hand strap at the same time. Now, after looking at all the links posted for straps, I'm going for one of the good ones.

Thanks for the tips,
Craig

Suggestions welcome.

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 20, 2013 11:24 |  #25

Calicajun, this is a link to the Optech sling. At the bottom of the page there is a product video. It is very good in explaining this system/sling. Worth a look, I think.
http://optechusa.com …/utility-strap-sling.html (external link)

Jim
Gear List

kiapolo
869 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 20, 2013 15:21 |  #26

I use a sling strap (carryspeed) and a backpack all the time when hiking. Works very well. Many times I will leave the sling strap on under the back pack, even when I don't have the camera attached to the sling strap. Very convenient.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

sponsored links

5,050 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sling Strap And Backpack
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.