Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 08:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d mk 111

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 20, 2013 10:43 |  #16

number1photoman wrote in post #15631244 (external link)
how stupid are canon, adobe and windows!!!!

Well, you can't blame Canon for being stupid, they provide editing software with the camera, if you want to choose something different then get something compatible with your system. Same goes for Windows, do you expect them to never upgrade the OS in case some software producer doesn't make their software compatible with out of date versions?

OK, Adobe, maybe you have a point as there are still a lot of XP users out there, but you are going to need a fairly up to date computer to deal with 5DIII raw files, I would have thought that anything going back to XP days would have to be fairly well upgraded to have any sort of speed. Of course, XP has a fanbase and can still be purchased, but it is a little over 6 years now since Vista took over. I guess Adobe are just assuming that people using LR4 are going to have something built since then to run it on, as it does take a lot of processing power with high mp files. Of course, if you put XP on a newish machine from choice, this is one of the pitfalls of the decision to use an "out of date" OS, in the eyes of the software producers. When using old software you need to check the system requirements before buying.

In the computer business, the world keeps moving on and older software needs to be replaced. Yes, it is a bummer. I have a load of favourite games that I cannot play because they don't run on the newer windows versions. That is the price of progress unfortunately.

sponsored links
dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 20, 2013 10:53 |  #17

I cant understand who people are more than happy to spend a lot of money on a new camera, even if there is nothing wrong with the one they already own, and then whine about other companies "forcing" them to upgrade their computer or software.

Not having a go at the OP, just those that do make these outlandish remarks.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,433 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 20, 2013 10:55 |  #18

sandpiper wrote in post #15631753 (external link)
In the computer business, the world keeps moving on and older software needs to be replaced. Yes, it is a bummer. I have a load of favourite games that I cannot play because they don't run on the newer windows versions. That is the price of progress unfortunately.

^This. And not to mention that it takes effort to maintain backward compatibility. Just testing takes time, not to mention any OS-specific coding that needs to be done. At some point, companies have to do a cost/benefit analysis for figuring out how much backward compatibility is appropriate.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 20, 2013 11:07 |  #19

1) you can not realistically expect companies to support old products forever. Microsoft dropping support for XP is no surprise considering they have already released 3 new OS's since then.
2) all of the programs that you mentioned have a minimum requirements that is available for you to read.

if you really want to be upset at something, be upset with the fact that we still don't have a standard RAW format and that each maker is using its own format which in turn forces Adobe to release new versions of camera raw.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 20, 2013 11:07 |  #20

Shouldda bought a 5Dc. Still takes great photos and works flawlessly with Windows XP and LR3. ;)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 20, 2013 11:11 |  #21

bobbyz wrote in post #15631740 (external link)
Thing is why can't it work under XP. Adobe just want folks to upgrade IMHO. Probably MS gave them something to make folks upgrade to latest OS.

You gotta love a good conspiracy theory :lol:.

You could say the same about windows 2000, or 98, or DOS even. Why can't it work under those too.

Perhaps Adobe felt that it was too much effort to make it compatible with XP or older to be worth their while in extra sales. Or perhaps it would involve compromises in the way LR4 operates, if it had to be capable of running on out of date operating systems as well.

I am sure they had their reasons and it didn't involve being paid by MS. :rolleyes:

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 20, 2013 11:13 |  #22

I think the bigger thing here is .... I wouldn't want to try to edit photos from a 5D3 on a computer that's so old that it has XP on it....

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,523 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 20, 2013 11:31 |  #23

sandpiper wrote in post #15631846 (external link)
You gotta love a good conspiracy theory :lol:.

You could say the same about windows 2000, or 98, or DOS even. Why can't it work under those too.

Perhaps Adobe felt that it was too much effort to make it compatible with XP or older to be worth their while in extra sales. Or perhaps it would involve compromises in the way LR4 operates, if it had to be capable of running on out of date operating systems as well.

I am sure they had their reasons and it didn't involve being paid by MS. :rolleyes:

Don't you think it happens. I work in the valley.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,523 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 20, 2013 11:34 |  #24

va_rider wrote in post #15631853 (external link)
I think the bigger thing here is .... I wouldn't want to try to edit photos from a 5D3 on a computer that's so old that it has XP on it....

5dmk2 files are similar. LR doesn't use that much RAM IMHO.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

MrPhejEjHmoob
96 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 20, 2013 11:55 |  #25

I hate to say this but, "you got to pay to play."

Hope everything ends up working for you.

Gears:
Canon G11, 5D, 5D Mark 2, 50 F/1.4, 16-35 F/2.8L, 24-70 F/2.8L, 70-200 F/2.8L, Canon ST-E3, Canon Speedlite 580EX x2

jiddle
298 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 20, 2013 16:06 |  #26

Here's a simple work around, use Adobe RAW to DNG converter. Then your MKiii files will be compatible with LR3.

5dmkiii | 17ts-e | 35L | 50L | 90ts-e | 135L | flickr (external link)

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 22, 2013 08:04 |  #27

One can't forget the purpose of any business...to make money.

How many car manufacturers continue to improve and upgrade last years' model?

There's only expense to Microsoft and to Adobe to continue to improve products to work on Windows versions earlier than Vista. Microsoft has already announced a 'no more support' for XP date, if I'm not mistaken.

As for Adobe, the same thing is true. Why should they spend money to make improvements to LR3 when LR4 is what they are selling? If they continually upgraded LR3, nobody would need to upgrade to LR4.

So, yes, when I moved from XP to Windows 7, I moved my LR3 without a problem. But my ancient Photoshop wouldn't run on Windows 7, so I had to upgrade that, too. Then I upgraded to a 5D3. Surprise! LR4, here I come! Fortunately, the upgrade price was only $79, as I recall, at B&H.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

notastockpikr
417 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 22, 2013 11:38 |  #28

XP..... Sorry guy, but it's time to "embrace the technology" and ug to at least Win 7. Nothing wrong with Adobe, Canon, Microsoft, etc. With all do respect, it's you.

You are using bleeding edge camera technology and processing files on an old computer. Need LR 4 which runs only in Win 7 to see your RAW 5d III files.

I think my grandfather uses XP. :-D

Muskett32
77 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 22, 2013 12:21 |  #29

Brupikk wrote in post #15631580 (external link)
didn´t you saw System requirements before buying LR4 ?

• Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 or 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows Vista® with Service Pack 2, Windows 8
• RAM: 2 GB
• Hard Disk: 1 GB of available hard-disk space
• Internet connection required for Internet-based services*

I think it's hilarious that the minimum processor spec is a P4 and the minimum OS is Windows 7. Lol. Good luck running Windows 7 on a P4.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 22, 2013 12:52 |  #30

I'm sure there are a few who will try. Some people don't, and won't be told to upgrade their perfectly good hardware ;-)a

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

sponsored links

4,016 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mk 111
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.