Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

which aperture

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 20, 2013 20:45 |  #16

Invertalon wrote in post #15633915 (external link)
Not exactly... If you use a wide lens, such as 14mm or 17mm, even at f/2.8 you will have a great amount of DOF. It just depends on a few factors. I did plenty of landscape type stuff with my Samyang at f/2.8 that looked great. Sure, stop it down to f/4 or f/5.6 and it got sharper, but it depends on what your after.

Correct, not all the time, which is why I chose to use the word "typically". I did elaborate a bit more in post 8 on the other factors involved (which goes way beyond just focal length).

I originally thought that going into to much detail about the other factors would further confuse things for the op which is while I chose to keep things simple and just focus on correcting the misinformation in your post.

Specifically, your suggestion to "Use the largest aperture (smallest f-number) you can with your lens... Need all the light you can get in poor conditions".

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

sponsored links
FEChariot
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 20, 2013 21:24 as a reply to  @ doidinho's post |  #17

Use the aperture you need to get the desired depth of field. If that means you have to use a shutterspeed too slow to hand hold, use a tripod.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 20, 2013 22:36 |  #18

FEChariot wrote in post #15634156 (external link)
Use the aperture you need to get the desired depth of field. If that means you have to use a shutterspeed too slow to hand hold, use a tripod.

This.

There are plenty of resources available for those learning to understand how shutter/aperture/ISO control the exposure. I would recommend looking into them to understand what you will need for what effect you are after.

Too complex to really put "in a nutshell" for easy shooting. This is what makes photography so fun, to learn all this stuff. It takes time though, at the beginning. Sorry for being harsh before... I would just try to google understanding camera exposure and depth of field and any other key terms. You will get plenty of reading material!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

mnphotos
756 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 21, 2013 06:04 |  #19

DreDaze wrote in post #15633711 (external link)
buy 'understanding exposure' by bryan peterson

+1

Then buy a tripod.

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 21, 2013 07:55 |  #20

Some good advice given here , hey it's not that dark here I usually start at f 8-16 and adjust as needed and yes use a Pod .

David

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

SVT ­ Wylde
251 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2013 10:15 |  #21

I thought anything over F11 with a crop body was frowned upon due to diffraction issues.

Canon 60D / EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 / EF 70-200mm 2.8 L II / EF-S 18-135mm STM / 600EX Flash

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 21, 2013 10:39 |  #22

SVT Wylde wrote in post #15635788 (external link)
I thought anything over F11 with a crop body was frowned upon due to diffraction issues.

Not just on a crop body, its a lens issue, not a body issue.

Your correct that diffraction reduces iq when a lens is stopped down past its sweet spot and that a lot of lenses have their sweet spot around f/11.

However, if you need more DOF than f/11 provides then your options are to stop down or take the shot at f/11 knowing that the entire scene will not be in focus.

Generally speaking you wouldn't want to stop down past your lenses sweet spot without a reason if your going for the highest IQ.

Robert McCadden
MM (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,723 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 21, 2013 11:21 |  #23

doidinho wrote in post #15635877 (external link)
Not just on a crop body, its a lens issue, not a body issue.

To be precise, it indeed is related to the size of the frame in the camera, but choosing camera A vs. camera B (both of same format size) will NOT matter! And, it is not a 'lens issue' in the sense that choosing lens A vs. lens B will make any difference in the amount of diffraction which is present! Randomly choose any two lenses and at f/22 the diffraction effects are identical. It is a 'lens aperture issue'.

Take the identical lens (ignoring the sweet spot aperture which is likely to be around f/5.6) and (assuming its image circle is large enough to cover a very large frame...)

• with APS-C body you can use f/11 before you begin to see diffraction,
  • with FF body you can use f/16 before you begin to see diffraction,
  • with medium format you can use f/22 before you begin to see diffraction, and
  • with 4x5" sheetfilm you can get to about f/45 or even f/64 before you begin to see diffraction!

This is simply because the large image needs to be magnified by a lesser amount, so the diffraction effects are magnified less, too! The diffraction that is captured on film/sensor is IDENTICAL for all formats, the smaller formats have to be magnified more, so diffraction is seen sooner.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 21, 2013 11:58 |  #24

Wilt wrote in post #15636026 (external link)
To be precise, it indeed is related to the size of the frame in the camera, but choosing camera A vs. camera B (both of same format size) will NOT matter! And, it is not a 'lens issue' in the sense that choosing lens A vs. lens B will make any difference in the amount of diffraction which is present! Randomly choose any two lenses and at f/22 the diffraction effects are identical. It is a 'lens aperture issue'.

Take the identical lens (ignoring the sweet spot aperture which is likely to be around f/5.6) and (assuming its image circle is large enough to cover a very large frame...)
  • with APS-C body you can use f/11 before you begin to see diffraction,
  • with FF body you can use f/16 before you begin to see diffraction,
  • with medium format you can use f/22 before you begin to see diffraction, and
  • with 4x5" sheetfilm you can get to about f/45 or even f/64 before you begin to see diffraction!

This is simply because the large image needs to be magnified by a lesser amount, so the diffraction effects are magnified less, too! The diffraction that is captured on film/sensor is IDENTICAL for all formats, the smaller formats have to be magnified more, so diffraction is seen sooner.

But since the sweet spot of a lens varries depending on the lens (could be 2.8, could be 11), and the number of stops it can varry is 5 or more (depending on the lens and the max apeture of the lens), and according to your post the sensor size (between crop and FF) only affected things by one stop, I still say that it is more of a lens issue than a body issue.

Sensor size may affect things a little bit, but lense selection will generally have much more of an affect on what apeture you begin to experince increased diffraction.

Robert McCadden
MM (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,723 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 21, 2013 12:43 |  #25

doidinho wrote in post #15636167 (external link)
But since the sweet spot of a lens varries depending on the lens (could be 2.8, could be 11), and the number of stops it can varry is 5 or more (depending on the lens and the max apeture of the lens), and according to your post the sensor size (between crop and FF) only affected things by one stop, I still say that it is more of a lens issue than a body issue.

Sensor size may affect things a little bit, but lense selection will generally have much more of an affect on what apeture you begin to experince increased diffraction.

Diffraction is totally a function of the aperture diameter!
The interaction of MTF detail resolution (which considers contrast) and the degradation due to diffraction may result in worse total IQ in one lens than another, but that is entirely due to the MTF value being lower in one lens vs. the other. The diffraction effect at f/22 would be identical for both, and only because MTF is lower in one is the resultant IQ lowered in that lens. Expressing these relationships figuratively...

IQ = MTF rating * effects of diffraction

where effect of diffraction small aperture diameter, and MTF rating = detail resolution * contrast
and diffraction resolving power R = 1800/N (a literal scientific expression of the relationship!), where N is f/number

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SVT ­ Wylde
251 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2013 12:45 |  #26

I was taking some sunburst shots with my 60D/15-85mm combo at f/22. Shortly afterwards, I took a few landscape shots at f/22 and the results were less than stellar. f/11 is about as far as I can push it and get a nice sharp image.

Canon 60D / EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 / EF 70-200mm 2.8 L II / EF-S 18-135mm STM / 600EX Flash

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 21, 2013 12:58 |  #27

SVT Wylde wrote in post #15636345 (external link)
I was taking some sunburst shots with my 60D/15-85mm combo at f/22. Shortly afterwards, I took a few landscape shots at f/22 and the results were less than stellar. f/11 is about as far as I can push it and get a nice sharp image.

Out of curiosity, what lens were you using?

Nm, I see you posted that.

Robert McCadden
MM (external link)

ZIM ­ SOGEN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 22, 2013 12:32 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

I dont have a camera yet, I am just learning all that I can right now while I manage my money to save for the Canon T4i, and the Canon 24-105mm f/4 and Sigma 10-20 lens, I dont know which sigma 10-20mm I will buy yet, a guy on another forum told me new version of sigma lenses in his experience dont have any huge performance increase.
I looked again at reviews of both sigma 10-20mm lenses and thats confirmed, I dont like the un even distortion of the sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 on the wide end, so I have a lot of time to decide which lens.

I know for sure I want the Canon EF 24-105mm lens as a general purpose zoom, the only bad this is that the wide end on the lens for crop frame is not as wide as i want it but its wide enough.

Looking at pictures and distortion comparisons of the EF S 15-85mm lens and the EF 24-105mm I decided I dont like the distortion and that the 24-105 is good enough for me, it has low distortion on a crop frame,sharp images(maybe not as sharp as the efs 15-85) and great mechanical quality.

I am THE GOD of ALL that EXIST! My Greatest Enemy is HUMANITY!!!

ZIM ­ SOGEN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 22, 2013 12:34 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Using compact cameras and smart phone cameras gives me a good enough idea of using digital cameras, and yes I know a DSLR is way different than a compact and of course a smart phone in which the camera is only an accessory.

How ever it should not be hard to learn especially if its the Canon T4i I plan to buy!

ZIM ­ SOGEN
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 22, 2013 12:37 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

doidinho I just realised its not me you were asking that question, though now I gave you all an idea of what I am buying and why!

sponsored links

5,380 views & 0 likes for this thread
which aperture
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.