Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Feb 2013 (Friday) 07:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to light a dark environment like a restaurant?

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 22, 2013 07:29 |  #1

Recently I started taking up on mobile photography with my iPhone 5. In dark places, I have one of those mobile stands to stabilize the phone. In places like restaurants, sometimes I would like to snap some photos of food, but it can be too dark to get something decent looking. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to light the subject in such an environment? I wouldn't mind bringing something to help out if it's nice and portable.

Thanks!

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,658 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 22, 2013 07:37 |  #2

iphone you say? I suggest you look into a purchasing a hand-held-battery-powered-light-emiting-device.

Otherwise know as a "flashlight".

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 22, 2013 08:04 |  #3

jcolman wrote in post #15639391 (external link)
iphone you say? I suggest you look into a purchasing a hand-held-battery-powered-light-emiting-device.

Otherwise know as a "flashlight".

Haha, yea, is there something wrong with an iPhone?

You're right and that's what I read. So how am I suppose to use the flashlight? Just aim it about 2 feet or so from the food? Does it matter which angle I shine the light at the food?

Thank you.

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 22, 2013 08:05 |  #4

On occasion I have been known to take my everyday carry flashlight and shoot it through a napkin for diffusion in a restaurant or bar. If you are looking for something a bit more controllable you can get one of those dimmable LED video lights on amazon that should do the trick pretty well.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

jcolman
Goldmember
2,658 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 22, 2013 08:12 |  #5

but if you want to know how to really light a dark environment, here are some shots from a recent shoot I did.

I was hired to shoot a few interior shots of a new nightclub. Just about everything in the place is black.

Here is my first test shot to determine ambient light

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …/test-101_zps63fefb33.jpg (external link)

Here's what I came up with. I used three lights in this image.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …orama1web_zpsa4​d7c6a7.jpg (external link)

The second image was created by "painting" with light and combining three photos into one.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …A1747-web_zps95bf10ea.jpg (external link)

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 22, 2013 08:14 |  #6

aroundlsu wrote in post #15639487 (external link)
On occasion I have been known to take my everyday carry flashlight and shoot it through a napkin for diffusion in a restaurant or bar. If you are looking for something a bit more controllable you can get one of those dimmable LED video lights on amazon that should do the trick pretty well.

How far do you aim the flashlight from the food? Which angle?

Suggestions for a dimmable LED video light? I might just go with the flash light because it may be more portable and practical. Any suggestions on a decent flashlight?

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 22, 2013 08:14 |  #7

jcolman wrote in post #15639504 (external link)
but if you want to know how to really light a dark environment, here are some shots from a recent shoot I did.

I was hired to shoot a few interior shots of a new nightclub. Just about everything in the place is black.

Here is my first test shot to determine ambient light

Here's what I came up with. I used three lights in this image.

The second image was created by "painting" with light and combining three photos into one.

Haha, this is just for a blog! Yea, a lot of the restaurants that I go to are that dark, but I don't want to have a setup as elaborate as yours!

sponsored links

1,145 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to light a dark environment like a restaurant?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.