Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Feb 2013 (Friday) 08:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need advice on lower 48 to Canada shipping

ThomasOwenM
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 22, 2013 08:12 |  #1

I see most of us in the lower 48 do our sales of gear within the Continental US. It's obviously simpler that way. I have heard horror stories of losing the ability to track a package once it gets across the Canadian border. I'm going to check with my local shipping company today to find out about that. I would not dream of selling any expensive camera gear to anyone unless I were certain I can track the package all the way there. The insurance also has to be good regardless of which country it's in.

Are there any other precautions I should take if I sell to someone in Canada? Specifically, I'm wondering if the Canadian person has to pay any kind of import tax and if the gear gets held up in customs until they do so.

Anything else I need to consider?

===============
1D Mark III, Canon 50L f/1.2, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 lens, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, 430 EX flash, ST-E2 Transmitter, Quantaray QSX 9500 tripod, Manfrotto monopod

sponsored links
2ndviolinman
345 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 22, 2013 08:19 |  #2

The customs involved in selling to Canada is a big deal, and some shippers charge brokerage fees on top that are highway robbery. Others will fill you in more completely, but I have had trouble even just returning a defective item I purchased from Canada.

David
5Dc, 5Dii, Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, 40/2.8 Pancake, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2.0L, 200/2.8L, converted 35mm TS, Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, 70/2.8 Macro, Zeiss ZE 21/2.8, Zeiss Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.7 & 85/2.8, Jena 135/3.5, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO, Canon 28-135.

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 22, 2013 08:32 as a reply to  @ 2ndviolinman's post |  #3

The best shipping options to Canada are USPS Priority or Express Mail - avoid UPS or FedEx at all costs. Whichever mail service you choose, make sure you get a tracking number - you can track US parcels on the Canada Post web site and vice-versa.

The recipient in Canada has to pay federal and/or provincial sales tax on the declared value of the goods, plus a handling fee of $8-$10 to the post office when they pick up the parcel. There are no duties on most photo gear.

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

Jorge ­ Ledesma
219 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 22, 2013 08:38 |  #4

I shipped a flash to a fellow member via USPS but with no tracking number and no expectations either, the buyer knew how difficult things are over there (Canada) and luckily the item arrived and no problems.

Would I do it again, I suppose so, but again clarifying the expectations. If I would be buyer, I wouldn't do it.

Simplifying my photography.
“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Blog (external link)|Flickr (external link)

bwpmedia
72 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 22, 2013 08:40 |  #5

you pay 13 percent tax more or less on all items, handling fees and brokerage fees where applicable. in addition to your shipping charges. those with tracking #s are always higher

harv3589
523 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 22, 2013 09:41 |  #6

I am not sure what the big deal is to ship to Canada...its easy. Ship via USPS with tracking, signature required and insured for the replacement value. Declare on your customs form what it is and value then off it goes. I have never had a problem getting stuff from the states. I buy most of my camera gear from the US because it usually cheaper.

The only thing to avoid is Fedex, UPS etc they are stupid with fees and come knocking at the door with their hand out for money.

In Alberta the tax is only 5%....

I bought my Z100 lens & BH-40 not too long ago from the US (both bought from forums) and they came, no issues at all....smooth transaction.

easypz
520 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 22, 2013 10:14 |  #7

I'd like to back Rob up here. Shipping to Canada is no hassle whatsoever if you use USPS Priority or Express mail. Once you get an account on the USPS website you can do everything from it, including customs forms and it's easy. I've sold at least a dozen pieces of gear to my friends up north, no problem.

dad3*3
775 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 22, 2013 10:55 |  #8

I've also shipped lots of gear to Canada over the years the most expensive being a 1D MKIV with no problems. USPS is the way to go and depending on the items value either Priority Mail or Express Mail. The insurance is the deciding factor. With Priority Mail they limit the amount of insurance to $675 if my memory works. With Express Mail you can insure up to $5000. Express Mail is a little expensive but worth every penny for peace of mind.

The only problem I've found is sometimes the buyer feels shipping costs are too high and ask to have the item shipped regular mail. I wouldn't do that since no one has any protection against loss, damage or theft.

Customs forms are easy, less than a minute and can be printed on line now.

As long as the buyer is reasonable and understands the time frame and cost involved don't hesitate to ship to our friends up north.

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 22, 2013 10:58 |  #9

imageswest wrote in post #15639569 (external link)
The best shipping options to Canada are USPS Priority or Express Mail - avoid UPS or FedEx at all costs. Whichever mail service you choose, make sure you get a tracking number - you can track US parcels on the Canada Post web site and vice-versa.

The recipient in Canada has to pay federal and/or provincial sales tax on the declared value of the goods, plus a handling fee of $8-$10 to the post office when they pick up the parcel. There are no duties on most photo gear.

harv3589 wrote in post #15639761 (external link)
I am not sure what the big deal is to ship to Canada...its easy. Ship via USPS with tracking, signature required and insured for the replacement value. Declare on your customs form what it is and value then off it goes. I have never had a problem getting stuff from the states. I buy most of my camera gear from the US because it usually cheaper.

The only thing to avoid is Fedex, UPS etc they are stupid with fees and come knocking at the door with their hand out for money.

In Alberta the tax is only 5%....

I bought my Z100 lens & BH-40 not too long ago from the US (both bought from forums) and they came, no issues at all....smooth transaction.

easypz wrote in post #15639874 (external link)
I'd like to back Rob up here. Shipping to Canada is no hassle whatsoever if you use USPS Priority or Express mail. Once you get an account on the USPS website you can do everything from it, including customs forms and it's easy. I've sold at least a dozen pieces of gear to my friends up north, no problem.

^^^All this. I've purchased several items from US sellers on POTN and also on FM and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Ditto for yes to USPS - no to UPS. The only other alternative which is great if it's convenient is to use a US shipping/receiving company and have items shipped there for customer pick up. We're just over an hour from the border and use a company in the US that provides this service and it's great.
Sellers/buyers: don't be afraid of us Canadians!

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

13inches
389 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2013 11:09 |  #10

Regarding tracking, any USPS package that has tracking available will receive a handshake with Canada Post at the border and can continue to be tracked on the Canada Post website using the same tracking number. The inverse also works when shipping to the US via Canada Post.

Taxes, duties and brokerage fees are a PITA for us Canadians to deal with when receiving foreign packages, but as a seller all you can do is warn the buyer of these fees and that they are responsible for them. Sites like TheFinalCost (external link) come in handy for estimating what the fees might look like, but they are only estimates.

I have been very grateful for the sellers I have dealt with who are willing to ship to Canada, even if I have been dinged with these extra costs at times. Otherwise, any saavy buyer will make arrangements to have stuff shipped to the US instead and pick it up or have a friend bring it back. Many of us are fortunate to have these options.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,446 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 22, 2013 11:17 |  #11

Simple USPS.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 22, 2013 11:20 |  #12

I've bought several items from US buyers. As others have said, USPS is the best shipping method (with tracking number). I can track the parcel on both sides of the border, no problem. I usually have to pay Canadian taxes (but not always), and Canada Post charges a $5 brokerage fee. I've never had to pay duties on camera equipment bought in the US.

It's important to avoid UPS and Fedex, which charge high brokerage fees and are extremely bureaucratic to deal with.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

Yetihenry
101 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 22, 2013 12:25 as a reply to  @ ceegee's post |  #13

Tax depends on the province. BC is dropping HST in just over a month, and will revert to GST and PST (thank god!).

I have been super lucky, most of the horror story's seem to be from the net, and like all things, people write about bad experiences but won't always take the effort if it was fine as that's what they expect.

For certain parcels I have a PO box in Washington, as luckily I'm only 100miles from the border. But I wouldn't do the 200mile trip plus border crossing for small items.

Fuji Xe2 | 35mm F2 | 12mm F2 | 85mm f1.8 | My bag | Gear list/References

MJones
299 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 22, 2013 12:43 as a reply to  @ Yetihenry's post |  #14

Yup, as stated above shipping to canada is as easy as sending it via USPS. I only get hit with outlandish fees when stuff is sent via UPS or FEDEX.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Photo​sByMartello (external link) 500px: http://500px.com/Photo​sByMartello (external link) Website: www.photosbymartello.c​om (external link)

13inches
389 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2013 14:22 |  #15

FWIW, the only package I've ever deal with that was lost/misplaced/untrace​able was sent to me via USPS. It eventually showed up 3 months after the seller refunded me. I've never had a UPS or Fedex package that didn't arrive on time. Food for thought, but sometimes it's worth it to pay extra.

And a quick google search will show you how you can avoid the brokerage charges from Fedex and UPS by clearing customs yourself. It takes a bit of time on a business day to do, but it can be worth it.

sponsored links

2,148 views & 0 likes for this thread
need advice on lower 48 to Canada shipping
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.