Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 11:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MKIII BIF settings?

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 23, 2013 11:07 |  #1

Just a question of curiosity here.

Anybody shooting bird in flight shots with their 5DMKIII? If so, would you care to share AI servo and AF settings?

I've been experimenting with different AI servo and AF settings but haven't really hit upon anything that stands out.

I will say, the AF on the 5DMKIII is really fast...fastest I've experienced in all the Canon bodies I've owned so far.

Tx again.

:)

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 23, 2013 11:13 |  #2

I used cases 5 & 6 last time, it seemed to work fine.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

westernminnguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 23, 2013 12:13 |  #3

Sirrith wrote in post #15643527 (external link)
I used cases 5 & 6 last time, it seemed to work fine.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Do you use all 61 AF points?

IMAGES (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 23, 2013 13:43 |  #4

Look at naturescapes. There was a nice article posted. I think it is also posted here on POTN somewhere. Shows what cases to use for different birds etc.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 23, 2013 13:51 |  #5

I can't remember where I got this link (external link), someone posted it here somewhere on the forums.

I'm still in the process of figuring this stuff out myself.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 23, 2013 15:51 |  #6

westernminnguy wrote in post #15643713 (external link)
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Do you use all 61 AF points?

No, I used single point expansion (5 points, not 9). But that did prove a problem when shooting large birds as it would focus on the wings rather than the head/eye.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

westernminnguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 23, 2013 20:37 |  #7

darosk wrote in post #15644030 (external link)
I can't remember where I got this link (external link), someone posted it here somewhere on the forums.

I'm still in the process of figuring this stuff out myself.

This is good.

And thanks for the help to all of you.

:)

IMAGES (external link)

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 23, 2013 21:04 |  #8

Usually centre point, case 2 for large birds either solitary or in a flock, case 5 for small birds perching and zipping about.

I have played with the 61 point tracking on birds against an uncluttered, smooth background and it works pretty darn well, although it picks up the wings sometimes more than the head.

Overall I have had more success doing short burst of tracking, ie. follow the bird with it mostly in focus and then push back button to focus, take a few shots, release back button and continue to track. The AF is fast enough to react to spontaneous moments. Holding down the back button and just trying to continuously track at all times tends to result in more not-quite-in-focus shots than not.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

nwlight
33 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 23, 2013 23:19 |  #9

I usually use zone AF for BIF. Birds zip by too fast for me to use a single focus point, although I try that occasionally as well. Since zone AF can accidentally focus on the wings, I try to lead the bird a bit so that the zone is on the head or slightly in front. However, if I can't keep up (which is most of the time), at least it will focus on some part of the bird. For static shots, I occasionally switch to single point with expansion if I find that zone AF is picking up the wrong target.

The biggest eureka moment for me was realizing what tracking sensitivity really means. In the past, I always held down the focus button and tried to find the bird. In playing around in my house, I realized that holding down the button means that AI Servo will try to stick to the current target. So, if you start your focus on the wrong thing, like the trees in the background, then holding down the button means you are telling the camera to track the trees. With something like Case 1, where tracking sensitivity is set at 0, it will take a second for the camera to switch to something closer like the bird.

With this knowledge, it becomes clear how important it is to get AI Servo locked on the right target. If you realize that you are not focused on the bird, it's important to let go of the focus button and re-initiate focus. Doing this will force the camera to re-evaluate focus and it will switch to whatever is closest, which should be your bird.

To test this out, just use AI Servo at home and switch between any two targets. With tracking sensitivity set at 0, it will take almost a second for focus to change. With it set at 2, it will change much faster, but still not immediately.

Given that, it might sound unintuitive why I set tracking sensitivity to -2. First, I read it as a recommendation from Arthur Morris. More importantly, I tried a bunch of shots and realized that with high tracking sensitivity, if you miss the bird even once, the camera will quickly switch focus to something else like the background or water. With the tracking sensitivity set really low, once I got a lock on the target, focus would stick even if I temporarily lost focus on the bird. That means that I have many shots in focus even when the focus point wasn't on the bird at all momentarily.

Hope that helps.

westernminnguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 24, 2013 06:53 as a reply to  @ nwlight's post |  #10

excellent responses.

Tx all.

IMAGES (external link)

sponsored links

2,913 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MKIII BIF settings?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.