Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...

this thread is locked
S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 21, 2013 22:12 |  #256

JAcosta wrote in post #15638186 (external link)
Sorry to hear about your luck with the camera. Im not only ssatisfied with the performance of my 5D3, Im actually happy. There's nothing I'd really change except maybe the zoom controls during playback (scroll wheel to zoom in? Seriously?)

i agree with those complaints and had i got a good camera i would have loved it as well i just dont like those same very two things.

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

sponsored links
bcusitsjeff
115 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 23, 2013 15:33 |  #257

goddamnit... the more and more i read these 6dvs 5dmk3 threads, its making me think i should get a 5d over the 6d...

and if i go this route i might be stuck with only the 5d mk3 and 24-105 for a while.....

flckr (external link)

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 23, 2013 15:42 |  #258

bcusitsjeff wrote in post #15644300 (external link)
goddamnit... the more and more i read these 6dvs 5dmk3 threads, its making me think i should get a 5d over the 6d...

and if i go this route i might be stuck with only the 5d mk3 and 24-105 for a while.....

you say that like its a bad thing? the 5d3 w/ 24-105 is amazing (just dont buy gray market and dont buy from an unathorized dealer)

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

Grumpy_one
611 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 23, 2013 16:30 as a reply to  @ S.n.a.f.u.'s post |  #259

Looking to compliment my 7D with a FF. I do mostly sports so the 5d MkIII would be a good back up for that. While I have never held a 6D I was considering it. Now that I've read this thread the Mk III is a front runner just for the reason of similarity's between the 7D and the 5D. Small but significant differences are the SD slot, WB adjustment, weather proof (I live in the PNW and shooting in the rain is a factor), button functions on top of camera (I can see myself getting frustrated during a shoot if I have to make adjustments on the fly). I earn money with my photography, and I feel that the less distractions during a shoot the better off in the long run. Photography isn't my first income, but an income non the less. Someone posted My Grandpa told me to "buy the best and cry once." I laughed, but how true. I believe that each of these cameras have a place. Each person that has posted here have different needs, so one camera is not better than the other, just a better fit. If I didn't earn money with my cameras and it was just a hobby as this started out to be, I'd go with the 6D. But as I depend on my equipment and familiarity plays a role, the Mk III is a front runner. Good luck, good thread.

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 23, 2013 17:10 |  #260

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #15612232 (external link)
i currently shoot the 7D and for the feature sets and functions of the 7d the 6D would feel like a major downgrade.

Maybe you should try a 6D before you make up your mind.

I have had a 7D that I have had since they first came out. They are great cameras. I just bought a 6D. I feel like the 6D is an upgrade for the kinds of things that I want to shoot. It is going to be a great travel camera!!

I find the focusing system on the 7D overly complicated for what I shoot. I like the 6D size and feel. Low light shots are great. I like GPS. WiFi is okay. The only thing that I do not like about the 6D is the location of depth of field button.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 23, 2013 17:29 |  #261

gfspencer wrote in post #15644535 (external link)
Maybe you should try a 6D before you make up your mind.

I have had a 7D that I have had since they first came out. They are great cameras. I just bought a 6D. I feel like the 6D is an upgrade for the kinds of things that I want to shoot. It is going to be a great travel camera!!

I find the focusing system on the 7D overly complicated for what I shoot. I like the 6D size and feel. Low light shots are great. I like GPS. WiFi is okay. The only thing that I do not like about the 6D is the location of depth of field button.

im not really wanting to go the route of the 6d i find that the af system is perfect for what im doing and really enjoy the 7d i just really want to have a reason to justify the 14-24 and nikon flash system.

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,437 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined May 2007

Feb 23, 2013 17:43 |  #262

Would be nice if Canon came out with a decision tree where you plugged in your shooting style, typical subject matter, etc. and then you would arrive at a model that best suits you, eh?

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 23, 2013 18:42 |  #263

The 6D is better than the 5D3 in shadow detail/banding and low light autofocus. Hence it's better than the 5D3 for landscape/architecture and makes for a good second body for a 7D owner.
However the 6D is in many ways a downgrade from the 7D. The 6D is really a full frame 60D, and the 5D3 a full frame 7D. The control and body layouts are based in these cameras.
Things you'll miss on the 6D compared to the 7D.
1/8000 shutter speed
1/250 flash sync
100% viewfinder
LCD viewfinder with a grid and 19 point AF
CF cards
LCD auto brightness
Glass LCD screen
Joystick control and Mf button

And you get most of these with a 5D3. So it would make sense to keep a 7D for action and use a 6D with its better sensor than the 5D3 for landscape, portrait and architecture. Except that after using a 7D using the 6D may feel like going back to a Rebel!

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

DocMo
22 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 23, 2013 18:47 |  #264

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #15644318 (external link)
you say that like its a bad thing? the 5d3 w/ 24-105 is amazing (just dont buy gray market and dont buy from an unathorized dealer)

True that. Sometimes paying more is worth it.

6D : 650D (T4i) : 135mm 2.0L : Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC : 70-200mm 4.0L IS : 18-135stm : 55-250mm : 40mm 2.8 stm : 50mm 1.8 II : 430 exII

Muskett32
77 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 23, 2013 19:11 |  #265

bcusitsjeff wrote in post #15644300 (external link)

Uh oh...jocau...you might be responsible for someone else buying a 5D3. :)

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 23, 2013 19:45 |  #266

Muskett32 wrote in post #15644858 (external link)
Uh oh...jocau...you might be responsible for someone else buying a 5D3. :)

I should ask Canon to give me a percentage of the 5D3 sales. ;-)a

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 23, 2013 19:57 |  #267

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #15637002 (external link)
yeah im really holding out for the 7d2 the d7100 can compare on a lot of levels that the 5d3 cant i could literally buy 3 for the price of the 5d3 yeah the 5d3 might have some things that are better but does that honestly matter when you get one that doest work? anything can bet a broken camera (yes i am sure it not the majority here but in the minority and im just really bummed out and this little cropper seems to fit my needs more then a full frame. although the main reason i was wanting to go full frame are now gone i am not shooting people at least for a long while i have had some issues with people and copyright issues and i just dont think a bird is going to try and sue me even if its in the wrong lol)

so for my needs and where i will be aiming (pun intended) my camera i want this little beauty as it will pair up nicely with my 7d and honestly if my wife doesnt keep it i wont cry haha, but if she does keep it i will have a 60d as my back up so still not a bad deal.

Sorry to hear of your problems, but I think you might be a tad hasty. Don't get me wrong nothing irritates me more than intellectually retarded fan boys. I'm the first to demand we all send back everything that isn't perfect and demand either a full refund and postage both ways or an immediate replacement.
So when I say you might be cutting off your nose to spite your face I mean it. From what I have seen the 5D3 has a pretty sterling record. Nearly everyone I read posts from loves theirs. I know 6 users all are delighted, one was pissed off when he heard his had that light leak issue and demanded and got another (good for him) . In confidence he did admit it hadn't actually effected any of his pictures, he just didn't want one with an inherent defect.(which now has long since been resolved).
But reading on it seems you say you have problems with people or did I misunderstand that? And hence want a crop camera?
I'm a bit confused.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Muskett32
77 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 23, 2013 23:16 |  #268

jocau wrote in post #15644963 (external link)
I should ask Canon to give me a percentage of the 5D3 sales. ;-)a

lol...was thinking the same thing... by the way, how you doing? Getting close to a purchase yet?

ifi
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 23, 2013 23:50 as a reply to  @ Muskett32's post |  #269

Two weeks, eighteen pages... seems like solution looking for problem :)

:)

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 24, 2013 00:52 |  #270

Naturalist wrote in post #15644622 (external link)
Would be nice if Canon came out with a decision tree where you plugged in your shooting style, typical subject matter, etc. and then you would arrive at a model that best suits you, eh?

id love it and naturally that would make to much sense so it wouldnt be good going that route as it would make peoples lives way to easy :)

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

sponsored links

111,481 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.