Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 09:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portable Studio backgrounds better then Muslin?

AlexMcCranor
219 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 23, 2013 09:03 |  #1

Hi Guys,

I have closed my Studio due to it being an unnecessary expense as most of my work is video and location based.

However I am looking for a portable studio set up to use in people homes for the small number of current clients I already have and enjoy working with.

My current set up is a 3m x 11m white muslin background but this creases and is very large for use in people homes.

I also have a 1mx1m pop up box that the kids love to play in for there photos.

I was wondering what other options are there?

I have seen pop up backgrounds and am also looking for something that will not crease as much as the muslin.

Thank you for any help.

Alex

My Blog Alex McCranor Freelance Camera Operator & Editor (external link)
Creative Director at Workimage Commercial Business Video & Photography (external link)
Grimsby & Lincolnshire Wedding Video and Wedding Photography (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,780 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 23, 2013 20:09 |  #2

The point of muslin is that randomly stuffing it into a bag creates random wrinkles, which when out of focus do not present something which draws the viewer's eye to it as regular folds would.

If you want wrinkle free, you could use rolls of background paper; short width rolls easy to transport, not so for wide rolls.

You could use velvet which would hide wrinkles but the sheen seen can be equally problematic.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 24, 2013 08:55 |  #3

I would recommend the manfrotto autopole system as it is very compact compared to traditional light stand backdrop systems. Match that up with some seamless paper sized to your needs and you'll find there's no better way to go. That's Been my experience anyhow. Velvet, for me, has always been a consideration but its is considerably more heavy, and requires a more expensive metal crank/ metal pole and I've noticed a bit of a sheen from velvet in other's videos.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2013 17:08 |  #4

Wilt wrote in post #15645042 (external link)
You could use velvet which would hide wrinkles but the sheen seen can be equally problematic.

Old fashioned cotton velvet has less sheen than the synthetic fibre velvet (and it's a heck of a lot more expensive!) because of the nature of the fibre (cotton tapers, synthetics don't). Another point is that velvet has a pile, with a right and wrong way of hanging it to emphasise the 'luxurious' nature of the fabric.

If you lightly steam velvet with either a dedicated clothes steamer or, more simply, with a wallpaper steam stripper then you reduce the sheen temporarily. PITA doing it though. Nearly as boring as ironing muslin backgrounds - nearly.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 25, 2013 11:45 |  #5

Yeah I like the wrinkles in the muslims but if you doing black or white..try rolling them instead of folding. Helps with the wrinkles but the way I shoot white is blown out so there are no wrinkles and black is just black.

What about HiLite Illuminated Backgrounds.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,652 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portable Studio backgrounds better then Muslin?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.