Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Feb 2013 (Thursday) 10:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Data Recover Services for Physical Damaged Drives

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 21, 2013 10:50 |  #1

So I have a HD that has physical damage (clicking and wont spin up or get recognized by the computer). I am looking for advice/experience with who to use for recovery. Seagate starts at $400 and goes to $1000 for physical damaged drives. Other quotes are coming in from a little higher to you have to be kidding me prices.

Who have you used and what kinda prices did it run?

sponsored links
drcig
22 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 24, 2013 12:24 |  #2

I can highly recommend ontrack. They are world renowned. They extracted the data from the satellite that crashed into the ocean a few years ago. We have had hard drives in car accidents, floods, etc and all have been successfully extracted. They are expensive but if there is stuff you need off the drive that you need it's worth it. I think the average quote is about 1100 or so.

http://www.krollontrac​k.com/ (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 24, 2013 15:18 |  #3

drcig wrote in post #15646915 (external link)
I can highly recommend ontrack. They are world renowned. They extracted the data from the satellite that crashed into the ocean a few years ago. We have had hard drives in car accidents, floods, etc and all have been successfully extracted. They are expensive but if there is stuff you need off the drive that you need it's worth it. I think the average quote is about 1100 or so.

http://www.krollontrac​k.com/ (external link)

Thats great, but all thats on it is family pics, kinda hard to justify that kinda money. Wish there was a service that was not so expensive. I understand that its a expensive service, but at the same time, my hard drive is not from a satellite nor does it have top secret info or hundreds of thousands of dollars of info. It has some family vacation pictures :(

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 24, 2013 16:32 |  #4

Well, it takes just as much work to recover family pictures as it does anything else, so it'll cost about the same. You might try either of the two temperature extreme measures to get it going: freeze it and then try to get it going while it's still cold, or let it get really warmed up (in case the lubricant has sludged up, warming may let it soften enough that the drive can turn). But a clicking sound may be something worse than either of those can help.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 24, 2013 16:49 |  #5

Jon wrote in post #15647669 (external link)
Well, it takes just as much work to recover family pictures as it does anything else, so it'll cost about the same. You might try either of the two temperature extreme measures to get it going: freeze it and then try to get it going while it's still cold, or let it get really warmed up (in case the lubricant has sludged up, warming may let it soften enough that the drive can turn). But a clicking sound may be something worse than either of those can help.

Yea I would rather not f it up more :) Seagate recover has said $400 - $1,000 to at this point its just a matter of saving then send it in to them. I trust them since its one of their drives and thus far they have the best pricing.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 25, 2013 13:33 |  #6

I have used Ontrack recovery service. Paid $100 to have them evaluate the crashed HD. The evaluation result said that they're unable to recover anything. They offered a more expensive service (in the thousand bucks) for a more advanced evaluation. That is a non refundable fee and they don't guarantee they'll be able to recover anything. I refused the offer. So I lost the data + $100 recovery evaluation fee.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 25, 2013 14:18 as a reply to  @ morph2_7's post |  #7

My big worry is I pay them to evaluate and it comes back with a 1k+ to get the data off. Every place has a non refundable fee just to look at it (I understand it cost to do the looking). But with such a wide price range its hard to send it in. At $400 I could scrape that together $1k im out of luck $2k and I will fall over in shock.

What ticks me off more is it was under warranty still. But the warranty does not cover physical damage. So in real life all it covers is a power cord failure if you ask me.

ghost68
163 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 25, 2013 14:58 |  #8

I just dealt with a hard drive recovery at my work and we ended up going with Drive Savers utilizing their cheapest service @ ~$2300... All of these recovery places basically do the same thing though... They take the drive into a clean room and start swapping out parts with know good drives of the same make/model... How much data are we talking about here? How responsive is the drive? Does your computer even see it? Finally was it internal or External?

Smugmug (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 25, 2013 15:12 |  #9

ghost68 wrote in post #15650902 (external link)
I just dealt with a hard drive recovery at my work and we ended up going with Drive Savers utilizing their cheapest service @ ~$2300... All of these recovery places basically do the same thing though... They take the drive into a clean room and start swapping out parts with know good drives of the same make/model... How much data are we talking about here? How responsive is the drive? Does your computer even see it? Finally was it internal or External?

It was an exteranl but I took the casing apart to put the drive right into my tower to rule out the usb interface. The computer does not see the drive at all, on power up the drive starts to spin up clicks 4 times then nothing happens. Its a 2TB drive with about 1/2T on it right now.

outtamymind
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2013 15:58 |  #10

sometimes the drive heads just get stuck. freezing is an option. i've found that at times while holding the drive horizontally while plugged in and twisting a corner of a turn giving it a bit of a sudden stop will get the heads moving again. this has been successfully to me a few times. all these options are never guaranteed to work. even the data recovery services are never guaranteed to work.

best of luck getting the family photo's back.

www.outtamymindphoto.c​a (external link)
Outtamymind Photography Facebook (external link)
Outtamymind Photography on 500px (external link)

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 25, 2013 16:09 |  #11

Check locally I once got a guy to get stuff off an old drive for $150.00. Check with a local Best Buy Geek Squad too sometimes you can find a store with the necessary hardware and software to this too.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 25, 2013 16:10 |  #12

butterfly2937 wrote in post #15651144 (external link)
Check locally I once got a guy to get stuff off an old drive for $150.00. Check with a local Best Buy Geek Squad too sometimes you can find a store with the necessary hardware and software to this too.

Geek Squad starts at $1500 for physical damage. I will start calling local places

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,594 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 25, 2013 16:38 |  #13

butterfly2937 wrote in post #15651144 (external link)

This means he was able to get the data without taking the drive apart.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 25, 2013 16:42 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15651261 (external link)
This means he was able to get the data without taking the drive apart.

Actually he took it out of the case and put it into one of his machines and somehow got it spinning but I had tried the freezer trick and that did not work for me. I found this guy locally and he agreed to give it a shot. I guess I got lucky.

outtamymind
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2013 16:51 |  #15

chances are all he did was my method that i described earlier. its common practice to do this as its the most likely cause is that the heads just get stuck and giving them a jolt to get them unstuck.

i work IT for a living and am quite familiar on data recovery processes.

www.outtamymindphoto.c​a (external link)
Outtamymind Photography Facebook (external link)
Outtamymind Photography on 500px (external link)

sponsored links

1,736 views & 0 likes for this thread
Data Recover Services for Physical Damaged Drives
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.