Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Feb 2013 (Monday) 09:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portable Storage Solution

bfahrer
39 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 04, 2013 09:26 |  #1

So I'm quite frustrated with the solutions out there for on the go back up. I really dont want to spend 300$ for a portable storage solution such as the colorspace devices. I dont care to see my pictures, I will edit when I return home. I basically am looking for a USB Duplicator or SD card duplicator. My thought was I could just make a copy of whats on one SD card to another and leave the copied card in a different location incase of gear being stolen/card fails etc.

It appears that panasonic and belkin made a device at one time that used 3 AAA batteries for true on the go copying. I wouldnt mind using a power adapter since usually at the end of the day I am near a power source when I travel.

I have come across the EZ Dupe which seems to be the best solution, its not the smallest device. http://www.amazon.com …/B003N4D7BE/ref​=pd_cp_e_2 (external link)

One other thought I had was to see if anyone had used a Raspberry Pi or adrino device to create something similar. I wouldnt know how to code but could figure out the hardware side fairly easily.

Has anyone thought about his or have a device that I'm not seeing? I was shooting for something around 50$ but willing to pay up to 100 if its going to be a reliable device.

| 6D | S95 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 |

sponsored links
bfahrer
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 05, 2013 11:45 |  #2

no ideas? :(

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 05, 2013 11:47 |  #3

I just copy to my laptop or netbook.

Gear List

bfahrer
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 05, 2013 13:22 |  #4

I was shooting for something light and small, there is a work around using a android tablet...its just not enough storage though and quite painful to move 300-400 images

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 05, 2013 14:41 |  #5

Android device might work but painfully slow and it depends on what you have for photos. 300-400RAW files will fit on Android devices with around 8-10GB of free space.
Raspberry pie is a great option but you the problem would be your still storing files onto another card (I'm going to assume your getting a 32GB card and putting the OS on that.) But the problem will be, how are you going to see those files or the OS? you will need the take a HDMI cable with you and the power supply pack with it.

With any option, you have the possibility to lose files no matter how you look at it. The lightest option is just to carry more cards.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 06, 2013 04:04 |  #6

RHChan84 wrote in post #15575843 (external link)
With any option, you have the possibility to lose files no matter how you look at it. The lightest option is just to carry more cards.

Which is not a solution for a backup.

I guess there's a good reason why so many people are willing to splash out $300 on a proper PSD.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

bfahrer
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 06, 2013 10:23 |  #7

I can see that hollis, there is a big lack of a back up solutions for on the go. I'll check with the arduino community to see how tough it would be to program an arduino card and how much would it cost to build etc.

My thought on the arduino side is to have a primary/main usb female and a secondary/back up usb female. Plus a button and maybe an LED that flashes as data is xfered. quite simple really. I guess maybe if that works out I could add another button that formats the secondary/back up card or does a file check against it to see what files need to still be xfered. I'm not concerned about power as a small adapter can easily power an arduino board. A battery would be ideal but not sure it would contain enough juice to xfer up to 1000 photos on a 32 gig card. I'll post my findings from the arduino community.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 06, 2013 10:57 |  #8

EZ Dupe seems to be a reputable company in the duplicating field in that they do have some pretty expensive products for mass duplication, etc. One thing that would concern me about any such device, however, is that there is no indication of any protection against the user-oops. IOW, if you put a card that is not empty in the "out" slot, does it warn you, or just blast away? Another thing, it is a pure duplicator, so you can't use it for incremental saves from multiple cards.

Tom

bfahrer
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 07, 2013 09:12 |  #9

I may end up going with EZ dupe... I added up the cost from the arduino forums and its more than 50$ to design, plus my time to code and solder everything together will outweigh the cost of 100$. So I will post my review of the EZ dupe in a few weeks or so.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 07, 2013 09:49 |  #10

I wouldn't really describe something that requires mains power as 'portable'.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

bfahrer
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 07, 2013 14:02 |  #11

I agree its not exactly "portable" but seems to be the best/cheapest option available right now and possibly the most reliable?

drcig
22 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 24, 2013 12:29 |  #12

Whatever you do stay away from the ez pnp dvd burners. They are made in China garbage. My company owns over 4,000 of them and they just don't hold up. Really poorly designed with the usb and dc jacks constantly breaking. The drives last but a few years and cost over 100 bucks to be replaced. About every 2 years the drive is discontinued so you are stuck with a dead unit needing a drive. I wish they had listened to me after the first year and not continued to buy them.

sponsored links

1,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portable Storage Solution
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.