Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 03:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 17-55 f2.8 alternatives

cdmihai
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 24, 2013 03:06 |  #1

Hello,

I am thinking on upgrading my 18-55 kit lens and I am leaning towards getting a used Canon 17-55 f2.8. My price range is about 650 - 700.

After browsing for quite some while, the only alternatives I can come up with is either the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or the Canon 17-40 L. I will most likely not go with the L since I do a lot of low light stuff hence I need the 2.8.

Does anybody know of any better lens that includes the 17 - 50 range, has a fixed diaphragm that would provide a better "bang for buck" than the Canon one?

From what I have seen, the Canon 17-55 provides sharper results and focuses faster than the Tamron. Is there somebody who tried them both? Is the difference in price really worth it ? (I'm leaning towards yes but it's always good to ask for exterior opinions)

Thanks

--note
My body is a 450d (xsi). After looking at the t3i or t4i I decided it's useless to upgrade the body, and a good lens would do more than a 7d with the kit lens.

450d | 50mm f1.8 | 17-55mm f2.8 | 18-55mm kit | 55-250mm |

sponsored links
Condotierri
58 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 24, 2013 04:06 |  #2

I think the Canon and Tamron versions are at the head of this class.

I've only tried one so cannot offer a comparison.

Good luck.

5D3, 60D || 8 primes, 9 zooms
Flickr (external link)

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 24, 2013 04:20 |  #3

You should be able to get the Canon in your budget. I've not tried the others but the 17-55 was the first lens I put on my first DSLR. What an amazing lens it is. I would be looking around your local area for one.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 24, 2013 05:24 |  #4

cdmihai wrote in post #15645965 (external link)
Hello,
I am thinking on upgrading my 18-55 kit lens and I am leaning towards getting a used Canon 17-55 f2.8. My price range is about 650 - 700.

After browsing for quite some while, the only alternatives I can come up with is either the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or the Canon 17-40 L. I will most likely not go with the L since I do a lot of low light stuff hence I need the 2.8.
Does anybody know of any better lens that includes the 17 - 50 range, has a fixed diaphragm that would provide a better "bang for buck" than the Canon one?
From what I have seen, the Canon 17-55 provides sharper results and focuses faster than the Tamron. Is there somebody who tried them both? Is the difference in price really worth it ? (I'm leaning towards yes but it's always good to ask for exterior opinions)
Thanks

--note
My body is a 450d (xsi). After looking at the t3i or t4i I decided it's useless to upgrade the body, and a good lens would do more than a 7d with the kit lens.

getting the most "bang for the buck" is very subjective!
I use the Tamron 17-50 non-vc as a walk around lens but sometimes I wish it was longer in focal length, sometimes I wish it went to f1.8

if you're not afraid of spending $700 then also look at the Canon 15-85 and the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS HSM along with the Tamron and used Canon

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 24, 2013 06:39 |  #5

You should also consider the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS. You can find used ones for around $500 and they came with a 4-year warranty (used ones have a long remaining balance of the warranty, as long as originally they were purchased from an authorized dealer).
They are at least as good bang for the buck as the Canon 17-55. I had 2 17-55 canons, the first one was very sharp but the IS motor died (fairly common problem with those). The second one wasn't as sharp and had some kind of AF problem but only with my 7D and center point (the lens was OK on other bodies, and the 7D was also OK with other lenses... go figure).

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 24, 2013 07:18 |  #6

The tamron is a bit of a gamble. The AF is all over the place in low light, BUT when using the AF assist beam of a mounted speedlight it (my copy atleast) focuses on the button every time. It was not an easy road to get there though. I had to send the lens in for calibration twice before focus accuracy was achieved. sharpness wide open is not as good as the canon lens but still quite good. stopped down from around f4 and over, sharpness rivals the canon. I am talking about the tamron non VC version. The VC version is said to be slightly inferior in sharpness and cost quite a bit more.
So in my side of the world, the tamron non VC sells for around $300 new. Its a huge difference compared to the canon lens which i think is enough to justify going with the tamron unless you feel the extra couple hundred bucks are worth image stabilization, slight increase in sharpness on the first 2/3 stops of light gathering and of course the more accurate focusing which i already explained how to overcome.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 24, 2013 08:23 as a reply to  @ boerewors's post |  #7

As Gabe & Watt suggested i would seriously consider the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS HSM or Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-vc as so many other folks have:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1023603

Regards, Ron ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

singer.rick
404 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 24, 2013 08:27 as a reply to  @ Silverfox1's post |  #8

I used the tamron 17-50 non is for a little while. In the end I ended up missing the IS and dont forget that extra 5 mm on the long end :-p.

I think you'll be happy with either one, but if you've got it in the budget go for the 17-55. Should be able to find one used.

Sony A6000 | Zeiss Vario-Tessar 16-70mm f/4 OSS | Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 | Promaster XC525 | Gear/Feedback

cdmihai
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 24, 2013 17:03 |  #9

gabebalazs wrote in post #15646148 (external link)
They are at least as good bang for the buck as the Canon 17-55. I had 2 17-55 canons, the first one was very sharp but the IS motor died (fairly common problem with those). go figure).

Interesting, do you know if this is a widespread issue, like the Tamron focusing?

MasterC
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 24, 2013 17:33 |  #10

I have the Canon and it is a great lens. I just got the 24-70 f2.8L ii but I'm still keeping the 17-55mm f2.8. The only thing I disliked about it was the build quality. I wished they had put the glass in an L body, because optically the one I have is L quality.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,014 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 24, 2013 17:41 |  #11

i'd go for the sigma 17-50f2.8OS

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

cdmihai
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 24, 2013 17:47 |  #12

Ok, after reading some more threads and going through [this (external link)] good review, it seems that, as usual, there is no silver bullet. The sigma is good after f5.6 and up, the canon below f5.6. The sigma has better micro-contrast than the canon. The sigma does better at closeups than the canon. The canon seems to focus faster.

As a summary from that review, the canon seems to be very good for people, sports, or action or hand-held street photography where f2.8 - f4 is prefered. The sigma seems to prefer the landscape range, with better color rendition and better performance in the f5.6 - f11 range than the Canon.

Concerning the type of [photography that I do (external link)], I think I have reached a point of inflexion. I am starting to lean in more for the Sigma, with the argument that I can always use my 50mm f1.8 for people shots (albeit people shots when they do not tend to move that much). I also seem to do a lot of outdoor stuff, so here the Sigma might help as well. On the other hand I also find myself often shooting in low light these days :(

Also, I can get the Sigma new, with the 4 year warranty, whereas I can only get a used canon (and who knows when its IS motor will cease to work).

So there ya have it, there is no good lens at this range that does it all (not going L here). Still not decided yet.

If it is not much to ask, can people please quickly look through my photos (link above) and suggest the lens that would be most appropriate from the two? :)

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,129 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 24, 2013 18:06 |  #13

+1 to Sigma - solid performer. I had Tamron before, didn't like it.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 24, 2013 18:16 |  #14

I have owned the Canon, Sigma and tamron with Tamron being my least favorite. Love the Canon but big bucks and I worry about the IS on that lens because I have heard of people having issues with it. So having owned the Sigma in the past I decided recently decided to buy it again, well that lens is now on it's way back. Right out of the box it was bad would not lock on and kept cycling back and forth. I guess I am not the only one who has had this issue as I found out here. Maybe it was a bad batch I don't know. I have sent it back for a refund not sure I want to try another now. I have been contemplating calling the store and change my mind and have them exchange it. I sure like the one I sold

drzenitram
824 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 24, 2013 18:55 |  #15

If you're on a tight budget, the Tamron 17-50 NON-VC is a worthy upgrade to the kit lens, but you get a better lens if you upgrade to the sigma 17-50 OS for a couple hundred dollars more. The canon is twice the price of the sigma, and the sigma is 95% as good.

| Bodies - 5D Mark II, T2i | Lenses - Helios 44-2, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, Tamron SP AF 1.4x TC | Lights - 430ex ii x2, Random 3rd party strobes

sponsored links

8,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 17-55 f2.8 alternatives
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.