Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 17-70 Contemporary- Anyone have one yet? Does this dog hunt?

sixtygp
69 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 23, 2013 18:43 |  #1

Its been about two weeks since the release, only a couple of threads showing some shots, not enough to convince me. Someone has to have one-
What's your opinion? Is it something to purchase?

Thanks

sponsored links
mnphotos
757 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 23, 2013 19:46 |  #2

Here's a review with pictures.

http://ourshutterjourn​ey.wordpress.com …gma-17-70mm-2013-edition/ (external link)

And just a bunch of pictures.

http://photo.xuite.net​/blue90847/6153294 (external link)

I have the lens but haven't done any serious shooting with it yet. I'm mostly an outdoor shooter and it's too cold right now in Minnesota for me to get out and do any shooting.

I bought his lens because I was looking for a walk-around lens and found the thread on the older version and liked what I saw. I decided to wait for the new version despite the price difference.

sixtygp
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 23, 2013 21:38 |  #3

Thanks for the info. So, how is the build quality of the lens--feel of the focus and zoom rings? Does the focus hunt or move as quick as a Canon USM focus system?

mnphotos
757 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 24, 2013 08:24 |  #4

sixtygp wrote in post #15645301 (external link)
Thanks for the info. So, how is the build quality of the lens--feel of the focus and zoom rings? Does the focus hunt or move as quick as a Canon USM focus system?

The build quality is very nice. It has a nice solid feel to it without feeling like you're carrying around a brick. The focus and zoom are smooth. The zoom is smooth and the focus very smooth but wish it had just a tad more resistance to it. Of course this is all subjective, obviously. In the limited amount of shooting I've done with it, I don't recall it ever hunting except when I was trying out the macro function and was a little too close to the object being photographed. My fault for violating the minimum focusing distance.
All the testing I've done has been indoors in poor lighting and it seems to lock on every time without a problem. I tried the focus test using the focus chart from one of the threads on this forum and the focus is spot on.

I hope this helps some. :)

sixtygp
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 24, 2013 18:46 |  #5

Thanks again for the information.

Anyone else have any feedback??

maverick14
79 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 24, 2013 20:51 |  #6

I've been hunting for info too..

After the last holiday I am sick of doing the prime lens dance and want a everyday range zoom I can count on... leave the primes for a special occasion... they are awesome, but such a pain the backside to keep swapping over.

Once some good info / reviews are out, this is going to be a tough call.. this lens or a gopro hero 3 black to have some fun with....

laslad
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 25, 2013 02:28 as a reply to  @ maverick14's post |  #7

I have done a simple and non-pro comparison of this lens with my Canon 15-85 on hand. I later sold my Canon 15-85 for this lens:

http://www.dchome.net …57&extra=page%3​D1&page=10 (external link)

The webpage is in Chinese (I am from Hong Kong), therefore you might need some Google Translation. I hope that does not cause too much inconvenience.

In short, this lens focuses a tiny bit slower than the Canon 15-85's USM, but I doubt one would notice the difference when shooting in daytime. The focus is accurate (I am not sure if the "bad copies" problem is still present in the new lineups but mine is fine). The Image Quality IMO is almost on par with the Canon 15-85, except that the Sigma 17-70 is a little bit softer at the 70mm end.

The lens feels quite solid, and the weight difference between it and the Canon 15-85 is quite noticeable (110g). Zooming and Focusing stiffness is fine for me, but I do feel it would be better with a zoom lock, which was present in the previous version.

The Macro ability makes it a very good candidate as a take around lens.

There are however two drawbacks. First, the hood is quite shallow (when comparing to that of Canon 15-85), so I dare not use the lens without a UV filter attached. Second, when pointing the lens at strong light sources, the flare is quite serious. This is so even with the lens hood on and no filter attached.

Considering its price (~50% of the Canon 15-85) and the IQ, I do recommend this lens.:)

sixtygp
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 26, 2013 00:12 |  #8

Interesting comparison. Some of the shots, it looks like the Sigma is a bit sharper in the corners.

Thanks

mnphotos
757 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 26, 2013 06:12 |  #9

sixtygp wrote in post #15652728 (external link)
Interesting comparison. Some of the shots, it looks like the Sigma is a bit sharper in the corners.

Thanks

Yup, based on his test, the Canon is a bit sharper in the center but the Sigma is sharper in the corners.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,243 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 26, 2013 06:27 |  #10

Does the focus ring still spin during AF like the older model?

http://youtu.be/qNvpL9​pKQMY?t=10s (external link)

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

laslad
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 26, 2013 08:32 |  #11

msowsun wrote in post #15653212 (external link)
Does the focus ring still spin during AF like the older model?

http://youtu.be/qNvpL9​pKQMY?t=10s (external link)

Yes it does. There is no FTM.

mnphotos
757 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 26, 2013 10:08 |  #12

laslad wrote in post #15653507 (external link)

FTM is one feature I wish it had for sure.

sixtygp
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 26, 2013 10:19 as a reply to  @ mnphotos's post |  #13

Here are some sample photos from Lens Tip site:
http://www.lenstip.com …_HSM_-_sample_images.html (external link)

According to Sigma, this lens is supposed to have full time manual focus- from a press release:

• Hyper Sonic Motor
The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) ensures high speed and quiet AF as well as full-time manual focus override by rotation of the focus ring. With the enhanced AF algorithm, smoother AF is achieved.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 26, 2013 10:23 |  #14

laslad wrote in post #15653507 (external link)

Welcome fellow HKer :)

Thanks for the thorough review, good job.

Its a shame they didn't update the AF on this new version, that was one of my biggest gripes with the previous 17-70 OS. I do like that the IQ is now equal to, and maybe even better than the 15-85.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,243 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 26, 2013 10:45 |  #15

sixtygp wrote in post #15653875 (external link)
Here are some sample photos from Lens Tip site:
http://www.lenstip.com …_HSM_-_sample_images.html (external link)

According to Sigma, this lens is supposed to have full time manual focus- from a press release:

• Hyper Sonic Motor
The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) ensures high speed and quiet AF as well as full-time manual focus override by rotation of the focus ring. With the enhanced AF algorithm, smoother AF is achieved.

That press release must have been for a different Sigma lens with "HSM". If it was for the new 17-70, it was probably an error. Just like Canon has two types of "USM", Sigma has two types of "HSM", and the cheaper type does not have FTM.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links

11,064 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 17-70 Contemporary- Anyone have one yet? Does this dog hunt?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.