Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Feb 2013 (Monday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going Strapless - Review of the Spider Camera Holster

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 19, 2013 18:11 |  #16

hania wrote in post #15627743 (external link)
Not a bad idea, but of course, means getting an extra plate for each long lens - so as I have 3 long lenses, may not bother. Will see how much they are before I decide.

Thanks for the advice

Had to search for your gear list (link in your sig. points to JK's), but your 70-200 2.8 uses the same tripod mounting ring as the 100-400 and 300 f/4 for starters. Unless you spend a lot of time swapping among your various long lenses (which, when I found it, your gear list didn't reflect; only showed the 70-200) then you don't necessarily need one mount per lens.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,740 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 19, 2013 19:41 |  #17

The one drawback I find to the Spider, and the Cotton Carrier, is zero protection for the camera. I guess if you're on the sidelines of a football game, a wedding, or some such, it is perfect. But I usually take my camera(s) out hiking with my dogs and on the slippery slopes, etc., rock-strewn paths, I much prefer to have them in a holster such as the Thinktank belt system for protection in case of falls. And I've been known to fall.

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 19, 2013 22:50 |  #18

I love my Dual Spider Holster. I use it with the Think Tank Lens Changer 3 for events and it works perfect!

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 20, 2013 00:20 |  #19

I've been using the Dual Holster for a year now shooting weddings and love it. I have the camera plate on the camera's base and the Spider plate on top of it. A little high and some what awkward when shooting vertical but not bad. I also screw the Camera strap directly into the Spider's other hole too.

If you're at WPPI, stop by their booth at the show and ask for some extra pins. Last time I was there, they gave me about 3-4 extra just by asking. The price is also cheaper if you're buying at the show too.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

npompei
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 20, 2013 10:08 |  #20

gh patriot wrote in post #15630333 (external link)
I love my Dual Spider Holster. I use it with the Think Tank Lens Changer 3 for events and it works perfect!

This - SO glad I found this when I did. Shot all my weddings with it thus far and it just plain rocks!

www.nickpompei.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / Canon EOS M / Phottix Mitros + (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Tamron 28-75 (2.8) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 21, 2013 15:24 |  #21

Jon wrote in post #15629374 (external link)
Had to search for your gear list (link in your sig. points to JK's), but your 70-200 2.8 uses the same tripod mounting ring as the 100-400 and 300 f/4 for starters. Unless you spend a lot of time swapping among your various long lenses (which, when I found it, your gear list didn't reflect; only showed the 70-200) then you don't necessarily need one mount per lens.

Apologies for my gear list link- have tried a few times to get it right, but no luck so far!

My long lenses are: 100-400 and 28-300 as well as the 70-200

Others are: 16-35 and 24-105.

on Holiday I usually have the 5D2 + 16-35 and 7D + 28-300 on the spider holster.

The weight has got me wondering about the four-thirds system (and also I look a bit too much like a cowboy with 2 cameras on!)

Gear List

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 21, 2013 15:46 |  #22

OK - well the 70-200 and 100-400 use the same ring, so if you switch the ring from lens to lens, you don't need a plate for each. Do you ever carry the 28-300 along with the other long lenses? If not, you could use the plate from that when you take out the other two, and have rings on both of them. I have all three of the long lenses you do and the 28-300 only goes out alone on the 5D2; I'll take one ring for both the 70-200 and the 100-400, since I rarely have reason to have both on tripods at the same time.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 21, 2013 18:16 |  #23

I've gotta say, their latest gear is super nice looking from a quality/design standpoint.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 21, 2013 21:38 |  #24

hania wrote in post #15636956 (external link)
Apologies for my gear list link- have tried a few times to get it right, but no luck so far!

My long lenses are: 100-400 and 28-300 as well as the 70-200

Others are: 16-35 and 24-105.

on Holiday I usually have the 5D2 + 16-35 and 7D + 28-300 on the spider holster.

The weight has got me wondering about the four-thirds system (and also I look a bit too much like a cowboy with 2 cameras on!)

You could update it, but here's the last one you posted...
Gear List

gordon
Gear and Feedback

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 22, 2013 03:54 |  #25

klr.b wrote in post #15638256 (external link)
You could update it, but here's the last one you posted...
Gear List

Many thanks - have updated it!

Gear List

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 22, 2013 03:55 |  #26

Jon wrote in post #15637051 (external link)
OK - well the 70-200 and 100-400 use the same ring, so if you switch the ring from lens to lens, you don't need a plate for each. Do you ever carry the 28-300 along with the other long lenses? If not, you could use the plate from that when you take out the other two, and have rings on both of them. I have all three of the long lenses you do and the 28-70 only goes out alone on the 5D2; I'll take one ring for both the 70-200 and the 100-400, since I rarely have reason to have both on tripods at the same time.

Never thought of just moving the rings..........doh :(

Gear List

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 24, 2013 02:38 |  #27

Dmab wrote in post #15625832 (external link)
One thing to try is mount the plate onto the lens collar rather than on the body.
It depends on how you like to orient the the collar, but for larger lenses it distributes the weight better, not putting added stress at the attachment point of the lens/camera and frees up the vertical grip of the camera.

I have again had to take my 7D and 100-400 in for repair - contact problems on both - and now I am wondering if having it suspended from the body had caused this problem (£580 repair cost this time - contacts failing on both and also electronic module in camera)

Gear List

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 24, 2013 07:10 |  #28

hania wrote in post #15645935 (external link)
I have again had to take my 7D and 100-400 in for repair - contact problems on both - and now I am wondering if having it suspended from the body had caused this problem (£580 repair cost this time - contacts failing on both and also electronic module in camera)

In our experience, if a lens is heavy enough that Canon or Nikon put a tripod foot onto it, you are WAY better off hanging the camera from any sort of suspension system from that foot - tripod, strap or holster.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 25, 2013 09:25 |  #29

gakoenig wrote in post #15646189 (external link)
In our experience, if a lens is heavy enough that Canon or Nikon put a tripod foot onto it, you are WAY better off hanging the camera from any sort of suspension system from that foot - tripod, strap or holster.

Am coming to that opinion also re using the holster as I have been doing.

Its different when hand-holding that combo - one hand holds the camera, the other supports the lens.

Am off to Focus on Imaging on Sunday (Uk) , will try and get another plate to put on one tripod ring, & then just move that ring across when necessary

Gear List

sponsored links

8,273 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going Strapless - Review of the Spider Camera Holster
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.