Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Feb 2013 (Monday) 01:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod Choice

Captured ­ Exposure
58 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 25, 2013 01:28 |  #1

Hiya's onto my next purchase,

I am looking to upgrade my Tripod, I have a cheapie Velbon 803 Sherpa atm. I have been looking lately at tripods and see one that gets recommended a lot is the Manfrotto 055XPROB which is an aluminium one, I am also looking at the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 carbon fibre. I was leaning toward the carbon fibre as it will counter a bit of the head weight from the BH-55, someone also suggested the Benro Carbon fibre, but its not really to much lighter than the aluminium one and I can't find to much detail on them, however I won't really be doing much hiking or anything.

Keeping in mind I mainly shoot seascapes so sand and salt water will get into everything.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks
Dan

http://www.danielakini​nphotography.com (external link)

sponsored links
DantheCanonMan
104 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 25, 2013 02:35 |  #2

Sounds like you're looking for a Gitzo Ocean Traveler.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 25, 2013 08:10 |  #3

I'd agree with the above assessment, not a traveler though especially with your ballhead. Gitzo have an Ocean systematic range that would suit your application depending on the size and weight of your gear and your height. They are however seriously expensive. If you're good about doing maintenance, carbon fiber brands like Benro and Feisol are popular as well as the more expensive Gitzo and RRS models. Or you can just buy a solid but inexpensive aluminum tripod that you replace very couple of years.

As for the ballhead, the BH-55 is highly regarded but it's very heavy. Also maybe not the best design for your application? If you're dealing with sand and salt water all the time take a look at the Acratech heads, their open design means they can be washed under a tap after being used in extreme environments.

In general, also take a look at the tripod FAQ for ideas and reviews.

~Peter

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 25, 2013 15:52 |  #4

Captured Exposure wrote in post #15649033 (external link)
Hiya's onto my next purchase,

I am looking to upgrade my Tripod, I have a cheapie Velbon 803 Sherpa atm. I have been looking lately at tripods and see one that gets recommended a lot is the Manfrotto 055XPROB which is an aluminium one, I am also looking at the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 carbon fibre. I was leaning toward the carbon fibre as it will counter a bit of the head weight from the BH-55, someone also suggested the Benro Carbon fibre, but its not really to much lighter than the aluminium one and I can't find to much detail on them, however I won't really be doing much hiking or anything.

Keeping in mind I mainly shoot seascapes so sand and salt water will get into everything.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks
Dan

I had the benro and gave it to my daughter - I found the screw adjustments for legs really annoying - takes a long longer than using the levers and they needed too many turns to secure the legs - many times I put it up and then suddenly the whole thing would slowly subside as one leg got smaller!
I had to tighten them so much, that after a few times, my hands really hurt.

A now getting the manfrotte 055cxpro3

Gear List

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 26, 2013 08:22 |  #5

Got to ask Dan - how much do you want to spend?

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 26, 2013 10:12 |  #6

Yea really, whats the budget for this setup exactly? Thats very much a deciding factor for most.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Captured ­ Exposure
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 27, 2013 03:30 |  #7

rick_reno wrote in post #15653477 (external link)
Got to ask Dan - how much do you want to spend?

Hiyas, thanks for the responses, I was looking at around $350 or maybe stretching it to $400 Australian dollars and the Manfrotto I can get around that price. And I already have the BH-55 head to looking at other heads is sorta out.

http://www.danielakini​nphotography.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,147 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod Choice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.