Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Feb 2013 (Monday) 16:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beach Suits

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 04, 2013 16:29 |  #1

Any observations please. Especially things I should do better. I liked the unusual black suits on the beach.

IMAGE: http://www.m-dixon.com/potn/5D3_4627a.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.m-dixon.com/potn/5D3_4633a.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.m-dixon.com/potn/5D3_4663a.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.m-dixon.com/potn/5D3_4692.jpg
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

sponsored links
wayne_eddy
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 05, 2013 06:38 |  #2

Wow!

These are amazing!!!

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 06, 2013 11:36 |  #3

Thanks Wayne!

I was hoping for a few more people's observations/tips!

kombisaurus
176 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 06, 2013 17:53 |  #4

As far as the first shot goes, I really like your idea of taking a silhoette into that lovely sunset, but I'm not sure the silhoette of the camera works. If you simply crop that photo in half and keep the profile silhoette of the two figures on the right, I think it becomes a much stronger photo.

I can see you were going for a candid shot in the second one, but it seems a little scattered and disjointed for my liking. I'm kind of left wondering what I should be looking at. It doesn't seem to communicate enough to the viewer, and I would try to engage the viewer more. A good photograph takes the viewer by the hand and says "here, look at THIS". The subject on the left is engaging with the camera, so perhaps I'd move around to emphasize him and put the others in the background?

The third photo is my favourite. It has a really nice atmosphere to it. The colour and light and the guy on the left looking like he's pondering something really makes it.
I think the composition is almost superb. All it needs is the girl on the right to be cropped out of the shot completely (I think she distracts more than she adds). What you would be left with is a group of similar-looking guys all looking inwards towards the ground, and one guy singled out of the group, pondering life by looking over the sea. It would make a good album cover! :D

I really like the idea behind the last photo, and the subtle colour and tones in the water and sky are lovely. But I can think of two things that I would change if I were shooting it. Firstly I'd move the subject away from the middle of the frame to give him some space to throw the rock into, and secondly I'd show his face (particularly his eyes). This would mean moving the camera position and asking the subject to throw another stone (possibly finding a right-handed subject if I didn't want to shoot into the sun).

I hope that can help. Feel free to take it all with a grain of salt, they are just one person's opinions.

Adrian Broughton
Commercial, Event and Wedding Photographer in Hobart, Tasmania.
BroughtonPhoto.com.au (external link)
BroughtonWeddings.com.​au (external link)
Visit My Blog at Blog.BroughtonPhoto.co​m.au (external link)

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 07, 2013 06:50 |  #5

Thanks kombisaurus!

I like the camera - it makes more of a "story" I don't think I can get a better crop from the image - here is my best attempt with a little cloning out:

IMAGE: http://www.m-dixon.com/potn/5D3_4627b.jpg

Album cover?
IMAGE: http://www.m-dixon.com/potn/5D3_4663b.jpg

I also perhaps I should include this one in the set:
IMAGE: http://www.m-dixon.com/potn/5D3_4675a.jpg

BTW nothing staged here.

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 22, 2013 12:38 |  #6

Not many comments on these - are they uninteresting?

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 22, 2013 12:43 |  #7

On average, you won't get a lot of comments.

These aren't particularly interesting to me. I find them underexposed. The guy in the last shot, especially, needs to get a better fitting suit.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,317 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 22, 2013 12:47 |  #8

Martin Dixon wrote in post #15640390 (external link)
Not many comments on these - are they uninteresting?

I wont say totally uninteresting, but they seem halfway between candid and intentionally organized shots. And halfway doesnt really work here. Its just shots of people standing around, well dressed people, but still unengaged.

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 22, 2013 12:53 |  #9

I have no idea what these pictures are supposed to represent. Is this a family shoot? A bunch of friends hanging out at the beach? What's the purpose of these pictures? I can't comment on anything because I don't see much going on.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 22, 2013 13:00 |  #10

I thought it was a City of Angels family reunion sequel.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 22, 2013 13:20 |  #11

I think the first one with the camera tells a story, a couple taking photos at sunset. The rest I dont see a purpose to them.

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,467 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 22, 2013 15:07 |  #12

Just my honest opinion and coming from your post that mentioned an "album cover"....negative! These all look like snaps of people in suits on a beach. Has me scratching my head.... Not particularly interesting to me and definitely don't convey musicians to me or anything close to an album cover.

Sorry, I just don't see what you were after in these.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 23, 2013 19:33 |  #13

The last photo of the original posting has promise if it is properly cropped in for a better composition. Right now the subject is in the middle of the frame which leaves a boring taste in my mouth, shot too loosely.

Foolish
706 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 25, 2013 14:42 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #15640424 (external link)
I wont say totally uninteresting, but they seem halfway between candid and intentionally organized shots. And halfway doesnt really work here. Its just shots of people standing around, well dressed people, but still unengaged.

Yeah, I agree.

I'm on the web here (external link).

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 25, 2013 19:45 |  #15

I think suit photos like these really ought to be choreographed. Think of Reservoir Dogs...there needs to be some sort of unity among the subjects, or complete disorganization. Earlier comments hit the nail on the end IMO.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

sponsored links

2,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beach Suits
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.