Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 17 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 22:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2012 iMac

dolina
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 13, 2013 22:24 |  #151

Today marks my 10th week of waiting. I got a reply that they will be receiving the iMac this weekend at their warehouse with delivery to where I bought it from on the 11th week. :lol:

They insist that I cannot pick it up at their office even if I owe them $20. :lol:

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

sponsored links
J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,010 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 13, 2013 22:37 |  #152

Damn! I bought mine on the day of release... got it 3 weeks later.

I7
2gb video
16gb ram
3tb Fusion

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

dolina
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 19, 2013 06:49 |  #153

After 75 days!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Very late 2012 iMac (external link) by alabang (external link), on Flickr

On the brown box it stated it landed in Singapore from China on 01/24/13. It then flew over here and was delivered to the dealer today.

Many thanks to Digital Walker Alabang Town Center for being courteous and helpful despite Apple's manufacturing problems. :D

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 19, 2013 09:34 |  #154

I've played with 3 of the 27 inch versions in various Apple stores recently, running CS6 thru some exercises on them. Got about 3 hours total on them while my wife wanders around shopping. I don't see enough of an improvement over my mid-2010 IMac to jump in and buy one of these. The noticeable improvement in them was they booted a little faster, but this isn't a big deal with me. I recall screen reflections being one of the selling points, if it's better I couldn't see it and if CS6 was running faster, it wasn't obvious over my current 2.93 Ghz I7. Maybe they'll do something with the next iteration, I'll wait and see.

dolina
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 19, 2013 09:52 |  #155

I'm coming from a 2007 20" iMac Core 2 Duo and 2010 13" MBPro Core 2 Duo so I expect a drastic improvement.

I'm reassigning the iMac to the office so I dont suffer from depreciation.

I'll open the box up in 24 hours. :)

dolina
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 23, 2013 09:34 |  #156

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Late 2012 iMac & Dell U2711 (external link) by alabang (external link), on Flickr

BlankThis
208 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 23, 2013 09:55 |  #157

I'm waiting on the new 27" TB display. My top of the line 13" MBP has enough power for my needs, but my 22" Syncmaster is a load of garbage.

| 5Dc | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 23, 2013 09:59 |  #158

Paola - looks like a nice setup. What's that disk drive on the desk doing and what is it plugged into? Which Dell monitor is that?

dolina
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 23, 2013 11:22 |  #159

Blank I'd wait for the updated Thunderbolt Display with USB 3 and hopefully FW800. I'm selling the Dell U2711 display you see above in preparation for it.

rick

- http://www.newertech.c​om/products/voyagerq.p​hp (external link)
- FireWire 800/400, USB 3.0/2.0, eSATA interfaces
- Mac and PC compatible
- What I like about it is that I can treat any 2.5" or 3.5" internal SATA drives like a memory card or Nintendo game cartridge. Cheaper than buying ext HDD and can select the exact SATA drive you want.
- Some people may dislike having a naked drive exposed.
- When I migrated from my 2010 MBPro to my 2012 iMac I plugged in my notebook's internal SATA drive onto the dock and connected the dock to the iMac via USB 3. The transfer was quick as it was USB 3 and not FW800 or USB 2.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

i2007 to i2012 (external link) by alabang (external link), on Flickr

Left is the 2007 model and the right is the 2012 model.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 24, 2013 01:59 |  #160

dolina wrote in post #15643554 (external link)
Left is the 2007 model and the right is the 2012 model.

Wow, now a side-by-side wasn't in the marketing material, it's a fairly massive difference. :shock:

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

bkcorwin
157 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 25, 2013 13:31 |  #161

How has your experience been with the new imac and editing raws? I am coming from a similar core 2 duo macbook and am considering the i7 27 inch imac.

1:1 previews on my macbook is brutal.

12Rock
THREAD ­ STARTER
616 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 25, 2013 21:52 |  #162

Just a heads up After getting my new Imac , i picked up the Adobe elements 11 (photoshop & premier ) did the install , and discovered a problem with the video portion . The Themes section will not download . Called Adobe 1hr 30 min and after a remote hook up was given a hand job with no resolve and told to call Apple its a problem with their settings . Called apple they were they went over everything and said no way . To be safe I called my internet provider to make sure my speed were ok , found they were better then ok. Hence the next 4 days on the phone with Adobe ( approx 8 hrs) worth of my time, more remote hook ups broken promises of return phone call and one guys telling me that he replicated the problem on his Mac there so it appears it is a software glitch that needs to be sent to their engineers. Problem not resolved try calling the retailer where you bought the product to see if there is anything they can do for you. Total B.S. but burnt out dealing with them , some i had a tough time understanding .
Made my call to Newegg ( where i the product) who are for the most part excellent. They do not refund on open software but said they would take my case number from adobe to follow up and see if i am legit and let me know if they will do a refund ......Wow ! just a heads up

dolina
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 26, 2013 00:24 |  #163

bkcorwin wrote in post #15650553 (external link)
How has your experience been with the new imac and editing raws? I am coming from a similar core 2 duo macbook and am considering the i7 27 inch imac.

1:1 previews on my macbook is brutal.

My new iMac is a Core i7, 24GB DDR3 1333MHz (waiting for my RMA'd 16GB DDR3 1600MHz for a total of 32GB DDR3 1600MHz), 1TB Fusion & 680MX with 2GB GDDR5. I went with this config as Core i7 was directed at video/photo work and Aperture uses more of the 680MX than the Core i7.

I use Aperture 3.4.3 for editing raws.

Comparing the two is night and day. When I download the RAWs I use a Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader with UDMA CF cards so the reads are as fast as the cards are spec'd to perform. The iMac nor the card reader are the bottlenecks in this workflow.

As for previews and editing it is iPad-like. When I mean iPad-like I mean very short delays. I assume this is true with LR 4.3 and PS CS6. As soon as the download is finished it takes about 1/8th the time of download to render the previews.

If you use any computer that exceeds 3 years then I think it is worth buying any new computer shipped within the past 3 months.

Here's a comparison between the reflectiveness of the 2007 (right) vs 2012 (left) model.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

27" 2012 vs 20" 2007 (external link) by alabang (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

18,135 views & 0 likes for this thread
2012 iMac
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.