Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Feb 2013 (Monday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting video of horses in action??

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 25, 2013 10:46 |  #1

I've been asked about shooting some video of a stallion for a sales campaign. I've done some limited video work with a mini DV camcorder and editing in Premiere Pro years ago but nothing recently. I've got a 5DII, 7D and a Panasonic HDC-TM90. I'm just trying to decide if this is worth doing as a additional service to my equine photography business. I don't mind putting a little money into this to test the waters but I have no interest in being a professional videographer. The videos would be viewed predominantly through youtube.

Right now, I'm leaning toward picking up a Manfrotto 701HDV head and mounting it on my old 3021PROB tripod and recording with the Panasonic TM90 using manual settings and an external monitor. Audio is of no importance, as these videos are usually just set to music.

This is pretty new territory for me. I've never shot video with a DSLR so I don't have a clue about that except I know there can be issues with the way the shutter works when shooting action. I want to keep things simple while still providing a quality product. Any of you video gurus got any thoughts or pointers on this?

This is a link to a video I had done for a horse I was considering selling a couple years ago (no longer for sale). It gives a good idea of the conditions I would need to shoot in. I'd say that the quality of any video I produce needs to be at least this good, which should be fairly easy since this was all shot handheld.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=2wcDg-EDPuk (external link)

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

sponsored links
netcommercial
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 26, 2013 02:19 |  #2

I think sound is more then 50% of a video. Shooting video with a tripod is a great way to go. Albeit boring sometimes. Due to one angle shots....Then you must rely on ?? Sound? to increase interest.
Challenge with shooting video with a DSLR is stability control and focus/ noise or constant focus in and out with AF. I read you mentioned manual mode.. Is there any other way to get a good video. LOL! Running horses? Crank up your shutter speed 2000. Might want to think about an MP3 audio recorder and an external mic to record some ambient....Thunder of hooves are pretty compelling etc...

Hot ­ Bob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 26, 2013 08:01 as a reply to  @ netcommercial's post |  #3

Since the time I posted this yesterday I've done quite a bit of research. I bought and read "Creating DSLR Video; From Snapshots to Great Shots". and I've watched a lot of web video on the subject. I've decided that a DSLR is not suited to this kind of work but, I can produce very good quality video with the Panasonic camcorder. I just won't have as much control of DOF as I would prefer. I am re-thinking my choice on tripod and head because I will need to run and gun in order to get shots from different locations and angles. I'll probably go with one of the Manfrotto options based on a 75mm ball mount so I can level up quickly and easily.

Bob

Gear List

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 27, 2013 08:33 |  #4

Hot Bob wrote in post #15653411 (external link)
Since the time I posted this yesterday I've done quite a bit of research. I bought and read "Creating DSLR Video; From Snapshots to Great Shots". and I've watched a lot of web video on the subject. I've decided that a DSLR is not suited to this kind of work but, I can produce very good quality video with the Panasonic camcorder. I just won't have as much control of DOF as I would prefer. I am re-thinking my choice on tripod and head because I will need to run and gun in order to get shots from different locations and angles. I'll probably go with one of the Manfrotto options based on a 75mm ball mount so I can level up quickly and easily.

Bob

I would use both cameras. There are a lot of people using the DSLR for Dof shots and an HD cam for moving/ run-and gun stuff. Also consider shooting the horse running in 60P and slowing the footage down to match 24 or 30. Would look pretty sweet when slowed!

Hot ­ Bob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 27, 2013 10:13 |  #5

StaticMedia wrote in post #15657373 (external link)
I would use both cameras. There are a lot of people using the DSLR for Dof shots and an HD cam for moving/ run-and gun stuff. Also consider shooting the horse running in 60P and slowing the footage down to match 24 or 30. Would look pretty sweet when slowed!

Thanks for chiming in on the subject; I'm surprised I've not got more feedback. I think that is great advice on using a DSLR and a camcorder. I had read about the shooting in 60 and outputting at 30 for slowmo shots. I don't really understand the output formats yet. I would like to be able to provide 720HD for youtube. My understanding is that 720HD is 60FPS. Anyone want to help me understand this?

Since I'm a Adobe Creative Cloud user, I downloaded Premiere Pro CS6 and started working some tutorials on AdobeTV. It really hasn't changed that much so I don't think editing will be that much trouble for me.

I still haven't purchased a tripod head. I did buy a Manfrotto 555B Leveling Center Column that will work with both my old 3021 legs and my 055CXPRO3 legs. I'm really between the 701HDV and the 502HD. I'm just a little concerned that the 502HD might be too big for the palmcorder, however, I think the features are just what I need.

Bob

Gear List

Hot ­ Bob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 18, 2013 23:21 as a reply to  @ Hot Bob's post |  #6

I wanted to give a quick sitrep on where I'm at with this. I ended up buying the Manfrotto 701HDV head. Mounted it on the 555B leveling column and put that in my old 3021BPRO tripod. Took the Panasonic out last weekend to shoot some horses in training. I'm pretty happy with the setup. Leveling was a snap and the head panned smoothly with the lightweight cam on it. I need to dig into the manual for the cam and figure out how to set a manual white balance from a card. I don't know if it's even possible.

Bob

Gear List

sponsored links

899 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting video of horses in action??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.