Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 25 Feb 2013 (Monday) 22:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Coopers Hawk Sitting In A Tree - Video

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 25, 2013 22:55 |  #1

A rare visitor to my yard. He comes by to terrorize the little birds, who always see him coming and scatter. He never has much luck here.

It was snowing that day, but not very cold. Upper 20's. He sat there for at least a half hour and let me record him. He could easily see me through the window, as he was just 18 or 20 feet away from the camera.

http://youtu.be/h6fHgC​fS78Y (external link)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links
Gary ­ Fairhead
Cream of the Crop
12,425 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 26, 2013 13:02 |  #2

Very fortunate to have such a patient Coopers
In your yard. I have the odd one show up but they
are super skittish. Looks like a mature bird too
with those red eyes and they spook much quicker
than the juvies.

Gary Fairhead C/C welcome .....

Canon 30 D,50D, Canon 500 F4 IS, 400 F5.6L ,200 F2.8L, 28-105mm F3.5-4.5, 1.4X TC/, Canon 580EX /Canon 100 2.8 Macro
http://www.pbase.com/p​hotofair/root&page=all (external link)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 26, 2013 13:18 |  #3

Wow Gary. Long time since we met, heh. Nice to see you again. :)

This bird has been coming here for at least 5 years now. I have pics of him as a juvie, sitting on the stove pipe of the shed. His eyes were yellow then. He never has much luck here, however, I have gone out to feed the birds in the morning and a few times have seen a splash of red Cardinal feathers in spots, and once, even some Blue Jay feathers.

The first part where the camera moved, I was putting it on the tripod, but later, when I aimed towards the top of the tree, I was trying to catch the little Chickadees, which ultimately did not show through the fogged glass, that were pestering him. They would get quite close, teasing him. They are fearless. LOL

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

peregrineflier
Goldmember
4,069 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 26, 2013 20:38 |  #4

it's a sharp shinned hawk, but still cool

Thanks, Tom the Peregrineflier ;) Lyle Washington
Canon 1D mk3, Canon 100-400 L, Canon 300mm f/4L IS
http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,219 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 26, 2013 21:06 as a reply to  @ peregrineflier's post |  #5

I can never tell the 2 apart.
Cool experience though.

My Flickr (external link)

Jerry ­ Liguori
142 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 26, 2013 21:23 |  #6

Just checked out your video....very cool (and saw Tom theperegrineflyer's keen-eyed ID).

Was that on a tripod?

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 27, 2013 04:13 |  #7

The first part was hand held. The second part was a second movie, split by time enough to let me get the tripod out and set up and mount the camera. He was there for well over a half hour, and I won't be convinced this is not a Coopers Hawk of about 18 inches length. I also have a Sharp Shinned that comes by once in awhile, and it is much smaller than this. I've watched these two birds here for 5 or more years, and this is way to big for any description of a sharpy. ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 27, 2013 04:35 as a reply to  @ canonloader's post |  #8

Nice video. What camera/lens?

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 27, 2013 04:45 |  #9

It is an older Canon F10. Just a small hand held handicam sort of thing. Pretty nice and when new it cost $500 or so. I edited the video files with Premiere Pro CS5.

If you want to dabble with video on a small budget, I also have a Canon SX130 IS. They are fairly cheap, but do 1280x720 video that looks pretty good. They use two AA batteries that do not last very long, but I bought an AC adapter for like $9 on E-bay that works wonderfully. So around the house, it is great.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Jerry ­ Liguori
142 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 27, 2013 09:14 |  #10

canonloader - Hope I didn't offend you on the ID of the bird, I'm sure I didn't by simply offering my insight but sometimes it can be taken the wrong way. So, thanks again for your video post and info on the tripod.

Sometimes I feel compelled to chime in about hawk ID's since I study raptor ID for a living, and people either expect it of me, wonder why I didn't respond, or are just curious of my thoughts. So I offer them just in case, hoping no-one is offended, its almost a catch 22 for me....I hope you understand. Anyway, I joined this site for the photos, so my thoughts on ID will stay private unless asked. That would work best.

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 27, 2013 10:39 |  #11

LOL, no, I never take offense unless someone calls me a name. LOL I am just so sure that this has to be a Coopers Hawk, and I will admit, I am judging it just by size alone. I have seen many Sharpy's here and they are no bigger than a Blue Jay. This guy was as big as a medium sized crow, which having had a few crows as pets, I know something about. But I will still entertain dispute, since what else we got going now? ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,665 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 27, 2013 11:32 |  #12

Very nice video work Mitch, I hope you've been well. Great to see you posting in bird town again.

When I saw your video I was unsure at first which raptor you had here, Sharp-shinned or Coopers. At the 2:09 point I decided Sharp-shinned. Your bird has a hooded appearance rather than a capped. The dark on the back of the neck indicates Sharp-shinned. As far as size goes, large female Sharp-shinned Hawks can be nearly as large as small male Cooper's Hawks. Size is variable among both species between the larger females and smaller males. Shame the bird didn't fan its tail for you, can't blame it though-looks mighty cold there.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 27, 2013 12:59 |  #13

Hey Steve. I have not been around for awhile, but I was posting in macro for a long time, with video and images from my microscope. Still doing a lot of that. Catching this guy was just a lucky find. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Jerry ­ Liguori
142 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 27, 2013 17:41 |  #14

Mitch, just glad your not offended.....

Oldjackssparrows
Jeeeez, incredible comments!
13,449 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 28, 2013 16:07 |  #15

Hello Mitch, real nice video, except for all that white stuff falling. I have had the local guy perch in a tree and hang out for a while, once it was almost all day, same perch most of the time. I could sit right there looking at him, he just stayed. Even the little peeps seemed to know he was not hunting that day, pretty good for a dumb old animal huh! Hope you warm up soon!

1DX, 400/f2.8 and other Canon gear
The shadow of a feather is one of the goals

sponsored links

1,633 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Coopers Hawk Sitting In A Tree - Video
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.