Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 19 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 07:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not to Start a Rumor, Why Not? 7DII

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 25, 2013 17:07 |  #76

howiewu wrote in post #15649606 (external link)
Then they wouldn't be EF-S lens, would they? :rolleyes:

EF-S lens for crop models but still fit Full frame - like Sigma, Tamron, Nikon, etc.

sponsored links
EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 27, 2013 19:41 |  #77

RTPVid wrote in post #15650924 (external link)
"Dual Memory Card Slots (Unknown configuration)"

Nikon D7000 uses SD memory cards, single slot
Nikon D7100 and D600 use SD memory cards, dual slots.
Canon 60D and 6D use SD memory cards, single slots.
Canon 5D3 has dual slots, 1SD, 1CF.

I see a trend....

If the 7D2 has dual SD slots, does this degrade its position as a "pro level" APS-C body?

Nope . everything seems headed for SD, SD is now cheaper, and even the 5D3 has an SD slot to help those buying it transition for the next generation.

Accept it people, SD will become the standard. As something else will in perhaps 10 or 15 years from now.

On another note... Please Canon, please target the sensor for stills, not video... Drop in AA filters would be an innovative feature that would make everyone happy...

Z...

Edit - fixed typo

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 27, 2013 21:25 |  #78

EtherealZee wrote in post #15659511 (external link)
...and even the 5D3 has an SD slow...

Freudian slip? ;)

Tom

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 27, 2013 23:45 |  #79

RTPVid wrote in post #15659772 (external link)
Freudian slip? ;)

More of a typo (using a Nexus 7 whilst on holiday in the Philippines).
:)

Z...

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2013 07:01 |  #80

Accept it people, SD will become the standard. As something else will in perhaps 10 or 15 years from now.

I doubt it; SD just isn't fast enough compared to CF on higher-end bodies.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 28, 2013 09:03 |  #81

archer1960 wrote in post #15660676 (external link)
I doubt it; SD just isn't fast enough compared to CF on higher-end bodies.

If the industry moves toward SD, then we will most likely see SD-Array setups, rather than relying on single/dual card slots, to keep the speeds up.

However, CF isn't going away anytime soon due to how much it is used in industrial settings where SD is not rated, nor do engineers want to attempt to rate it, for use. CF is more durable, reliable, and can be far more effective for many applications than SD can ever hope.

If anything replaces current CF it will be a similar package with an updated connection interface, not SD.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 28, 2013 09:22 |  #82

Luckless wrote in post #15660960 (external link)
If the industry moves toward SD, then we will most likely see SD-Array setups, rather than relying on single/dual card slots, to keep the speeds up.

However, CF isn't going away anytime soon due to how much it is used in industrial settings where SD is not rated, nor do engineers want to attempt to rate it, for use. CF is more durable, reliable, and can be far more effective for many applications than SD can ever hope.

If anything replaces current CF it will be a similar package with an updated connection interface, not SD.

Don't know about your point 1, since Canon didn't even fit the 5DIII with the fastest SD interface that is already out there. Besides, SD is already faster than the fastest CF cards of just a couple of years ago, and the CF interface is nearing its own performance limit.

Whether or not CF goes away in total is not the point (ref: industrial applications, which will be low volume anyway), but whether it remains in DSLRs, where industrial "ratings" (of which there are many to choose from, BTW) are of no consequence.

As to your last point, there are already two candidates out there to replace the CF interface (CFast and XQD), and neither is catching on very quickly, although the Nikon D4 supports XQD.

Tom

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 04, 2013 18:03 |  #83

Accept it people, SD will become the standard.

I have accepted the SD standard, even my cell phone accepts it

Birdman7
100 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 04, 2013 20:22 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #84

Some1 with large hands fiddling with small SD cards on an important assignment, or dropping them in woodland would be harder to find than the larger, faster CF cards. I prefer CF.

Birdwatching tours
Bird Photography
Digiscoping
Gibraltar, Spain & Morocco
www.aviantours.net (external link)

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 05, 2013 00:48 |  #85

Birdman7 wrote in post #15677334 (external link)
Some1 with large hands fiddling with small SD cards on an important assignment, or dropping them in woodland would be harder to find than the larger, faster CF cards. I prefer CF.

Odd, I have no issue handling micro SD cards, and even if you are 7ft tall, I suspect when adjusted to scale, a standard SD card would still be larger for such a person. How big can your hands possibly be that you can't handle an SD card? Sounds like an excuse. Speed is the only thing that I concede is still superior with CF, but I am not sure how long that advantage will hold.

Are any camera bodies actually capable of writing, at full speed, to the fastest CF cards? I am curious, I seem to remember the answer being no a few years back...

Z...

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 05, 2013 06:58 |  #86

EtherealZee wrote in post #15678130 (external link)
Odd, I have no issue handling micro SD cards, and even if you are 7ft tall, I suspect when adjusted to scale, a standard SD card would still be larger for such a person. How big can your hands possibly be that you can't handle an SD card? Sounds like an excuse. Speed is the only thing that I concede is still superior with CF, but I am not sure how long that advantage will hold.

Are any camera bodies actually capable of writing, at full speed, to the fastest CF cards? I am curious, I seem to remember the answer being no a few years back...

Z...

I would think a 1DX would come pretty close; 14 fps is a lot of data...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 05, 2013 20:42 |  #87

archer1960 wrote in post #15678662 (external link)
I would think a 1DX would come pretty close; 14 fps is a lot of data...

Kinda my point, how many of us are hauling around a 1DX?

I don't see much need for CF in the lower end bodies(this includes the 5D3).

Z...

sponsored links

9,592 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not to Start a Rumor, Why Not? 7DII
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.