Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 11:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 and radically different MFA values between focus points?

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 27, 2013 11:08 |  #1

This is kinda painful..

IMAGE: http://i56.tinypic.com/2zrf8lf.jpg

So I finally pulled the trigger on a 5D3. After some quick testing with "Dottune technique" and Focal software, I realized that the camera needs MFA +5 at the middle point, for my 85L II.. Ok, that's fine, But then I realized that the outer point on the right needs +19!!

That is a pretty big difference, and this really mess things up when I'm shooting at f/1.2. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it is the camera or the lens that needs service? I could do a comparison with my other lenses, but they are not with me at the moment. :/

I bought the 5D3 specifically for painless use of the outer focus points, and not just the middle one like on my 5D2.

Edit: As you can see in the image, I have set the camera to only use the cross type points.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

sponsored links
jdpence
584 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 27, 2013 12:05 |  #2

Which FoCal version are you using? Do you find the results from the software to be accurate in real world shooting?

Jeremy
Engineer by day...Amateur Photographer whenever I can find time for it
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=591727

tongard
357 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 27, 2013 12:18 |  #3

That's sad

Canon 6d, 7d2.
Canon 50 1.4, 28mm 2.8 is , 24-85, 24-105, 70-200 f4 is
Sigma 150-600

Ginga
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 27, 2013 12:29 |  #4

jdpence wrote in post #15658003 (external link)
Which FoCal version are you using? Do you find the results from the software to be accurate in real world shooting?

Yes, very much so.

Oh well, I just had a chat with someone who had the same problem a few months ago. Canon fixed it for him, so I guess I'll send my camera.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

jdpence
584 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 27, 2013 17:05 |  #5

Are you using the standard version of the FoCal software? I'm interested in trying it on my 5D3 and lenses

Jeremy
Engineer by day...Amateur Photographer whenever I can find time for it
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=591727

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 27, 2013 19:47 |  #6

:grin::grin:Definitely something wrong. And mfa wont fix it,either the sensor is not square or something in the lens is loose.
Send em both back together, or if recent purchases just demand a new replacement of both. Thats the only way Canon will learn that HQ L lenses have to be good!
Time we consumers actually got some balls.
Oh and before the bleeding hearts have a go - its gettinG ridiculous that you due your due diligenge , and select a top of the range lens and then when it comes you have to put it through your own home grown extensive testing to see if you have got "" A GOOD COPY"" If you think I'm crazy how many times have you heard that phase.
All L lenses should be a good copy and the non Ls could Be the bad copies!
Lets face in the Uk we Pay 50% more than the US customers so the least they could do is Q A our inventory!

This of course is assuming that you can prove it in the real world mind you that is so bad you surely could see it.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,302 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 27, 2013 20:44 |  #7

Submariner wrote in post #15659528 (external link)
Lets face in the Uk we Pay 50% more than the US customers so the least they could do is Q A our inventory! .

Isn't a good portion of that due to VAT?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 27, 2013 22:13 |  #8

Unless there has been a recent update, I believe there are known issues and bugs with the 5DIII and Focal software.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 27, 2013 22:34 |  #9

FWIW... When I sent my 5D3 for a routine check and clean they noted an out of position AF sensor assembly and adjusted back to spec. They also replaced some internal flex cable and such. I never noticed any outer AF issues ( I use all the time) but they must have! Could be something related with your body.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 28, 2013 00:35 |  #10

I had the same problem with all my lens. Top right cross point was like -5 compared to bottom left being +5. For lens like the 85L where focus is critical, I had to go back to centre point only and you don't buy a 5D3 for centre point only. I got fed up after hours and hours on FoCal and lensalign that I finally sent the camera and lenses back to canon. Hope they will figure it out. Will keep you posted when I get it back.

tomdz
69 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 28, 2013 04:03 |  #11

I have the same problem with my 5D3, I have even started a thread here.

In a discussion in a Polish Canon forum, there are at least three other guys that have noticed the same issue :(

Currently, I'm trying to get a (second!) replacement from the store, but it's kind of reassuring to know that Canon might be able to fix it. On the other hand, the experience we have had with the Polish service point so far doesn't really confirm it, as there are users that have been trying to solve AF problems with their 5D3s for literally several months now. Really frustrating with such an expensive gear...

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 28, 2013 06:18 as a reply to  @ tomdz's post |  #12

I calibrated mine with a LensAlign tool recently using center point. I switched to the furthest outer cross type point and the MA adjustment was still dead on.

I'm not sure I trust the Dottune method over what I can visually see on a ruler or object.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Ben ­ Rubinstein
76 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 28, 2013 07:59 |  #13

Mine were not so far out but I still sent it in to canon who tuned it, waiting to get it back. Send it in or if it's new, take it back and request a replacement.

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 28, 2013 08:39 |  #14

Ben Rubinstein wrote in post #15660792 (external link)
Mine were not so far out but I still sent it in to canon who tuned it, waiting to get it back. Send it in or if it's new, take it back and request a replacement.

I have just sent mine in. Let us know how you go.

sponsored links

2,177 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 and radically different MFA values between focus points?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.