Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 13 Jan 2008 (Sunday) 19:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lets See Your Abandoned and Forgotten Vehicles

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 17, 2013 23:04 |  #1861

Todd,

I like the tractor pic and the pic of you and your buddy. Best of luck going forward.

PM sent.

sponsored links
shiftmys6
123 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 17, 2013 23:24 |  #1862

here is a truck i found today can someone tell me what year and make it is I was thinking its a studabaker thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 6d 24-105mm f/4L IS 50mm f/1.4, 70-200 f/4l is usm,Tripod Manfrotto P55xPROB - Head Manfrotto 808RC4 3 Way Pan Head. flash speedlite 580EX II

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 17, 2013 23:38 as a reply to  @ shiftmys6's post |  #1863

Studebaker - Yes.
It is approx a 64

Could be 61, 62 63 too. Maybe up or down a couple years too. Body was the same. Don't know them well enough to be exact.

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 17, 2013 23:48 |  #1864

@shiftmys6

Studebaker folded around 65 or 66. Google Studebaker Champ and I think you will find your truck.

These were made from 60 - 64. One thing that may help you is the tailights. Back in those days, manufacturers had a number on the the tailights. There would be a series of numbers followed by a dash and then two numbers. Those two numbers were the year of manufacture. No guarantees but it is worth a try if you can get back to the truck.

shiftmys6
123 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 17, 2013 23:54 |  #1865

yes i can get back to the truck I will check the tail light for year. thanks everyone

Canon 6d 24-105mm f/4L IS 50mm f/1.4, 70-200 f/4l is usm,Tripod Manfrotto P55xPROB - Head Manfrotto 808RC4 3 Way Pan Head. flash speedlite 580EX II

Lesmore
874 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 18, 2013 19:39 |  #1866

Nice Studey. The bed was actually originally of Dodge manufacture. Studebaker bought the stampings from Dodge (it was a bed/box that was not used anymore) and used them for the Studebaker truck. The cab is a modified Studebaker Lark sedan.

jlw470
84 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 18, 2013 19:53 |  #1867

the old rusted chassi was found when Lake Lavon north of Dallas was 13 feet low in 2011. Don't know what it is.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Feb 24, 2013 11:37 |  #1868

Crude

IMAGE: http://twilightscapes.com/forums/crude.jpg

garciarf
317 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 24, 2013 14:01 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #1869

Partially abandoned, mostly a parts vehicle.

IMAGE: http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1235/5160841274_7427ec419f_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/garciarf/516084​1274/  (external link)
_IMG_9608 (external link) by FelipeGarcia. (external link), on Flickr

Felipe G
EOS 1Ds, 1D Mark III, 7D, XT. 18-55, 70-200 f4L, 28-135, 28-70 f2.8L, 40mm 2.8, Tokina 12-24, Sigma 80-400 OS, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS, 1.4x Extender III.
My Gallery: http://fgrphoto.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 27, 2013 17:49 |  #1870

Olds Mobile

IMAGE: http://twilightscapes.com/forums/oldsmobile.jpg

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 28, 2013 13:59 |  #1871

Nice Todd,

Those scraggly looking trees add to the pic. I don't know what they are called at your end but they are not unlike some of the trees found around here (Black Oak).

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 28, 2013 14:06 |  #1872

Thanks Norman! Yes, I think these are some sort of Texas Scrub Oak or something like that.

By the way, I was very intrigued by your PM regarding the threshers being the first steam powered models.

I did inspect them a bit closer last weekend, but was not able to find much on them. I did find one instance of some old painted writing listing a patent pending and #. Wonder if that can be used to find out anything on these? I did not like my shots of the other thresher, so I am probably going to go back and there and re-shoot them again, we'll see.

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 28, 2013 14:53 |  #1873

Todd,
I messed up a little on the Thresher info. The wheat would have been fed through the feeder. That is actually like a trough on a regular thresher and would have been above where the motor is on your combine. There would have been a fan or blower somewhere that would have discharged the leftovers after the wheat or whatever else had been separated. That fan or blower can be seen on your combine above the motor and to the right.

I don't know much about patents but would suggest the year the patent was applied for would give a pretty good indication of the year of your combine. A patent office may still have those records but I don't know. It's worth a try if your interested.

I'll go back through some SD's and see if I can find an example of the type of number I am referring to. This is a 9 or 10 digit number type thing that was stencilled on the side of the Thresher. The fellow I spoke to about your combine said there is a way of interpreting this number but he wasn't sure how that was done. Other people I have spoken to in the past said they didn't know. They thought number was just given to the dealer and the dealer ordered the parts from that number or whatever was required. The people I am speaking to are in their late 60's/70's or older. They were just kids when they were around these things and it was their fathers who would be able to answer these questions. Unfortunately, they are no longer with us.

Leave it with me. I have a few other ideas that may or may not work. It's worth a try IMO.

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 28, 2013 18:47 |  #1874

This is the type of lettering you will find on a thresher and information a farmer would want to know back in the day.

Line 1
These numbers indicated the size of the separator and cylinder. In short, some threshers were bigger or smaller than others depending on the size of the separator and cylinder.

Line 2
Not sure how they determined this. I haven't seen any threshers with gauges on them. That doesn't mean they didn't have them. I suspect that rpm of the cylinder was governed by the idle speed of the tractor since these things were belt driven.

Line 3
Machine No. I believe this is the identifier that was used for any particular year, make and model of a thresher. I would imagine it would vary from manufacturer to manufacturer like todays VIN numbers do.

Line 4
An example of manufacturers warnings back in the day.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 28, 2013 21:21 |  #1875

Old Dodge

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8514343596_59aca1390c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …e_southerland/8​514343596/  (external link) decaying car (external link) by steve_southerland (external link), on Flickr

My Gear My Flickr (external link)
some feedback
Like my photos? Then "like" my Facebook page! (external link)

sponsored links

758,611 views & 721 likes for this thread
Lets See Your Abandoned and Forgotten Vehicles
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.