Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 22:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mode Dial Upgrade

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 28, 2013 11:39 |  #16

Seems a downgrade to me. Mine stays put on all my cameras. No locking needed.

Gear List

sponsored links
Lincolnshire ­ Poacher
115 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 28, 2013 13:50 |  #17

Strange is this. I raised the question of conversion of my 7D with Canon UK at a show late last year. They said they had never heard of it!

Is this conversion aailable only in the USA?

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 28, 2013 20:27 |  #18

Lincolnshire Poacher wrote in post #15661844 (external link)
Strange is this. I raised the question of conversion of my 7D with Canon UK at a show late last year. They said they had never heard of it!

Is this conversion aailable only in the USA?

No, see here:

http://www.canon.co.uk …14-796314&page=1&type=faq (external link)

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 28, 2013 21:21 |  #19

Numenorean wrote in post #15661444 (external link)
Seems a downgrade to me. Mine stays put on all my cameras. No locking needed.

Same here - until I shoot an event with the 7D or 5D II. Pulling the camera out of the Think Tank holster frequently bumps the mode dial. I've had to learn to check it EVERY TIME to ensure it hasn't moved.

If I'm not shooting an event, it is no problem. Being in a hurry makes all the difference.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

echang72
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 01, 2013 01:23 |  #20

Good to know! I might look into this (:

Canon 7D | 24-70 2.8L II | 430 ex II

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 02, 2013 13:48 as a reply to  @ echang72's post |  #21

Just got my 7D back from Canon this morning. Love the new mode dial! The detents are nice and firm, just like my 5D Mark III.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

Edshropshire
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 02, 2013 16:24 |  #22

Nice to see Canon offer the upgraded dial. I personally did not upgrade my dial, even when I was offered the choice for free. I have never bumped the dial on any of my EOS Cameras Film and Digital. Probably because I am changing modes so often. I do think this is great for Canon to offer the upgrade for those who want the new dial.

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,186 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 02, 2013 16:43 |  #23

Now this one caught my eye as I for sure have had the mode dial shift and give the odd..............."wha​t the heck has happened to my settings moment" :lol:

For those that have had it done was it a while you wait depending on the service centre/agency and what was the $ or £ cost???

Oh, and when setting the dial is it a simply firm pressure of the index finger and thumb rotation to quickly change the setting???

TIA for the feedback :D

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

sffire
149 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 05, 2013 15:18 |  #24

How long does it take for such an upgrade? I might be going down to Southern California, Irvine. Wonder if it is something they can fix during my stay down there.

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,063 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 05, 2013 17:56 |  #25

I have not had the dial shift problem. My dial feels pretty tight for now.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

Nick5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 05, 2013 19:35 |  #26

Loving the Locking Mode Dial.
Last week on Monday, I dropped off my first 7D to have the new 7D locking Mode Dial installed. On Wednesday while picking up the first 7D, I dropped off my second. Two days later, Friday, back up the Jersey Turnpike to pick up my second 7D. Now both have the new locking Mode Dial installed. No mas Bulb!
Thanks New Jersey Canon Repair Center the quick turnaround and cooperation. This CPS Gold member appreciates it very much.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 05, 2013 20:35 |  #27

Box Brownie wrote in post #15669359 (external link)
Now this one caught my eye as I for sure have had the mode dial shift and give the odd..............."wha​t the heck has happened to my settings moment" :lol:

For those that have had it done was it a while you wait depending on the service centre/agency and what was the $ or £ cost???

Oh, and when setting the dial is it a simply firm pressure of the index finger and thumb rotation to quickly change the setting???

TIA for the feedback :D

All these questions were answered in the posts above yours.

Turnaround time is about 3 days, not including shipping time.
Cost is $100.

To see what the upgrade looks like, see here:

http://www.canon.co.uk …14-796314&page=1&type=faq (external link)

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,301 posts
Gallery: 501 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 05, 2013 22:13 |  #28

pknight wrote in post #15661403 (external link)
My exact experience. I had both a 30D and a 40D and never had a problem, but I sent my 7D in as soon as this was announced, because it happened far too often before the upgrade.

this here too... Especially annoying if i reach to get it out of my bag, go to shoot something and then realize the bloody mode dial turned to bulb or something and i miss the shot... :(

Still havnt had it done, Might or might not at this point as im considering getting a new body and dont want to spend $100-something on a modification i doubt adds $100 to my body's worth ;)

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 06, 2013 21:52 |  #29

I thought the same thing that this is worthless upgrade I've never had the dial move in the years that I have owned the 7d... Till I was photographing my music fest. Never happened on any of the smaller acts but of course as one of the headliners comes on the stage I'm getting ready to try to photograph him and realize my camera is acting weird and not using the focus point I wanted.
Come to find out somehow the camera ended up going to full automatic green box mode and was trying to auto select the focus point... Also as a side advantage I had the flash pop up as well at which point it was going off with it's focus assist and I'm sure might of even fired a time or.

Just the thing you want to have happen at a huge music fest is to blind the main performer with your flash after the being told by the PR person, the paperwork, the signs, and everythign else more or less no flash is allowed.

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 06, 2013 22:52 |  #30

I've never had a problem with any of my older Canon bodies that didn't have the lock with mode, the switches on my 70-200 is another story, but that doesn't can't and won't ever happen to me. I wasn't happy when i saw that my 5D3 had it because it will make hard to switch modes when shooting under water, but I guess that hassle is better than missing that shot of a life top side if/when the mode got bumped over to bulb.

sponsored links

6,443 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Mode Dial Upgrade
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.