Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 01 Mar 2013 (Friday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How would handle this?

smacatl
Goldmember
1,558 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 01, 2013 10:52 |  #31

huntersdad wrote in post #15664680 (external link)
Pretty sure it is something with the IS. Same problem I had when I received it and Canon fixed it. Been about 6 months since and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

When was the last time you used it before you posted it for sale? Did it work then?

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

sponsored links
caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 01, 2013 11:02 |  #32

D. Vance wrote in post #15664624 (external link)
You say 'expensive items'; How expensive? Over $1,000?

For details: http://www.ups.com/med​ia/en/terms_service_us​.pdf (external link)
Starts on page 34

The part about packaging:
"–loss or damage resulting from improper, inadequate or unsafe packaging or wrapping that fails
to meet UPS’s published standards related thereto set forth in the Terms or at ups.com;"

They won't cover it if the packaging isn't up to their standards. and for anything expensive they want verification that the packaging was done right. The best way is if it's done at the UPS store. It's very hard to prove it if you did it.
and it is a PAIN working with UPS, USPS, FEDEX insurance. I'd rather get a tooth pulled.

caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 01, 2013 11:06 |  #33

and, a little off topic, but

I bought a 17-55mm off ebay. It worked when I tested it, but the next day the AF went screwy. Just didn't focus at all, keep searching for focus. Checked everything, and was sure it was just the lens. Well, seller didn't take returns and kept saying something was wrong with my setup. Started a claim with ebay. and this is the part that doesn't make sense.
Ebay claims responsed that I needed to provide proof that the lens was defective within 4 days from an authorized repair center. WTF?
and the best part of that, there was no way to respond to them. The email stated to reply with questions and proof. I replied and they didn't respond.
Basically I got screwed. Sent the lens off to Canon, and they fixed it by replacing some board.

/off topic rant

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 01, 2013 11:07 |  #34

caoko wrote in post #15664869 (external link)
Starts on page 34

"–loss or damage resulting from improper, inadequate or unsafe packaging or wrapping that fails
to meet UPS’s published standards related thereto set forth in the Terms or at ups.com;"

They won't cover it if the packaging isn't up to their standards. and for anything expensive they want verification that the packaging was done right. The best way is if it's done at the UPS store. It's very hard to prove it if you did it.
and it is a PAIN working with UPS, USPS, FEDEX insurance. I'd rather get a tooth pulled.

Right but UPS packaged it themselves so it has to up to their standards.

cobra0469
121 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 01, 2013 11:13 |  #35

I doubt UPS will pay unless there was serious damage to the box. If buyer is willing to have it repaired maybe you guys can split the cost, if not paypal will likely be on his side. Do you know anything about the buyer? Just wondering if it could be buyer's remorse. Sounds like an unfortunate situation for both parties.

Good luck...

overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 01, 2013 11:17 |  #36

United Parcel Smashers. Enough said.

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 01, 2013 11:20 |  #37

overclock wrote in post #15664911 (external link)
Uncontrollable Parcel Smashers. Enough said.

Fixed that. ;)

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

job10
102 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 01, 2013 12:21 |  #38

Here's a link about shipping with UPS - always have insurance and get a receipt. The story is not about camera equipment - but its an expensive lesson someone else learned the hardway.

http://m.startribune.c​om/local/?id=191545171 (external link)

5DSR|5D2|40D|17-40L|24-70L|70-200L II|100-400L| more vintage cameras than I care to count

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 01, 2013 12:23 |  #39

smacatl wrote in post #15664310 (external link)
I've always looked at a transaction that the seller owns it until it arrives in the buyers hands - as a result if I'm selling something, I'm picking the shipment carrier, and if it's over $100 in value I'm most likely going to pay extra for the insurance (less than $100, and an unbreakable item I'll take the chance and self insure - but it's still my responsibility to get it to the seller in the condition I described in my ad)

If I'm a buyer, I tend to stay away from ad's that declare "buyer pays for shipping" or "buyer pays for insurance", as those sellers tend to believe that the sale ends when the money is received.

Since your buyer offered to pay the shipping then technically he received the product when you dropped it off at the carrier of his/her choosing. The option of selecting insurance also falls on him / her. If they decided to cheap out and not insure the package - then that is on them.

Sorry for the long answer, but I would tell the buyer to file a claim with the carrier that he or she selected.

How expensive was the item and what carrier did they use to ship?

Same here. I stay way from sellers that want buyer to pay for insurance. It's not about the money but I just feel that they will be difficult to deal with if transaction did not go perfect. I always pay for shipping and insurance.

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 01, 2013 12:34 |  #40

I highly doubt UPS will cover IS repairs unless the package was obviously damaged. They are tough to deal with on all things insurance, let getting them to recognize a faulty IS as damage from shipping. i would ask the buyer to get a quote for repairs and go from there. You could always offer to split the repair cost, or have him return it if thats not good enough

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 01, 2013 13:19 |  #41

drive_75 wrote in post #15665128 (external link)
Same here. I stay way from sellers that want buyer to pay for insurance. It's not about the money but I just feel that they will be difficult to deal with if transaction did not go perfect. I always pay for shipping and insurance.

Same here as well. The seller needs to get it to me in the condition described.

kouman
380 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 01, 2013 13:35 |  #42

caoko wrote in post #15664869 (external link)
Starts on page 34

Yup, i shipped my sigma 85 and insured it up to $700. Packaged it with at least 3 inches worth of newspaper. Lady asked me what i used to package it and said that newspaper isn't a SAFE/aprroved packaging material. So If I wanted insurance on it I would have to repackage.

I said okay and they opened it up and repackaged it for me with peanut foam. Extra $5. She told me if it wasn't UPS packaging material approved then they won't honor the insurance claim if a claim was made. So I spent like close to $30 shipping a Sigma 85.

5D mark ii | Sigma 85 f1.4 | 17-40 f4L YN--468 | 2x YN-560 | Einstein AB1600 | Kacey 22" BDWebsite (external link) Flickr (external link)
Feedback 1
Feedback 2

moose10101
registered smartass
1,736 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 01, 2013 13:40 |  #43

kouman wrote in post #15665388 (external link)
Yup, i shipped my sigma 85 and insured it up to $700. Packaged it with at least 3 inches worth of newspaper. Lady asked me what i used to package it and said that newspaper isn't a SAFE/aprroved packaging material.

Newspaper is about the worst packing material you can use for something that weighs as much as a lens.

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,800 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 01, 2013 14:07 |  #44

drive_75 wrote in post #15665128 (external link)

The ad was posted as shipping included, buyer cover PP fees. In this case, he wanted me to cover the PP fees, while he covered the shipping on his account. Figuring this would actually save him money, I agreed. I ate the $150 in PP fees and he handled the shipping.

Lens was full working when it was shipped as I had used it the day before in a hand holding situation and tested it again before i shipped it to him. After testing, it was placed in the hard case, carried to UPS and boxed up. There was a day or so between packaging and shipping due to a holiday and the lens sat in my office at work - where no one could get to it without breaking in my office. Needless to say, I am 100% sure when it was shipped, it was fine.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

moose10101
registered smartass
1,736 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 01, 2013 14:18 |  #45

huntersdad wrote in post #15665519 (external link)
Needless to say, I am 100% sure when it was shipped, it was fine.

Unfortunately, that won't cause UPS to honor the claim.

That lens costs as much as the last car I bought. I wouldn't have the guts to buy without testing it, or to sell without being paid in person, in cash. But I'm risk-averse.

sponsored links

2,976 views & 0 likes for this thread
How would handle this?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.