Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Feb 2013 (Thursday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Potential Purchase - Used 70-200F2.8L With "Front Play"

picards007
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 28, 2013 13:58 |  #1

I am considering purchasing a 70-200F2.8L (non-IS) for use with indoor sports and came across this ad in my local Craigslist. The listing notes that there is some slight "front play" due to a recent front impact. No other description is given and the picture doesn't show what this might look like (there is just a shot of the lens and accessories). I'm assuming that the repair will set me back around around $200 to ship to Canon based on my recent experience getting the autofocus fixed on my 70-200F4L. Looking for perspective on the price of the lens and the damage that the seller may be talking about, as well as any other concerns with the lens.

Here is the full CL ad description:

The lens is in good cosmetic condition and working condition.

It was purchased around $1300 about two years ago from B & H Camera, with a lens date code "UWXXXX".

This is the non-IS version Canon 70-200 mm F2.8L lens, one of Canon's most popular and legendary lens which earn Canon reputation for it's color, contrast and sharpness. Pros must carry one of this.

The reason I listed here for half price at $695 is because it has slight front play due to recent front impact.

The lens works fine other wise. The lens is great for artistic shots for blurred background

sponsored links
Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 28, 2013 14:59 |  #2

First, I'd snoop around, and see what they've sold for...maybe on Ebays' "completed Sales" listings. I've got one of the 70-200L Non-stabilized lens, and just LOVE it. I shoot lots of cycling competitions (bike races), and it's my primary lens for that. I find it to be great for short/middle-distance wildlife work, and for landscape and general shooting as well. Probably the most-used of my 6 lenses.

If you're looking at spending $695.00 THEN putting another $200.00 into it, I'd guess you can do better! Put a WTB add on the POTN sales forum, as well as any other sites you may haunt.

Regards!
Don

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

en4h
55 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 28, 2013 19:41 |  #3

I've been looking at the 70-200/2.8 (non IS) for about a month now, on ebay, craigs list, B&H, Adorama, even Amazon. Most of the decent used ones are going for around $900 or a little less with all of the fixins'. My own concern was over getting a US version or gray market. I just want to be sure that Canon will work on it should the need arise.
Pete

Pete G.
EOS 60D | 18-135 ef-s, 70-200 f4 L

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 28, 2013 21:21 as a reply to  @ en4h's post |  #4

Just FYI.

I contacted Canon CPS with a suspected Grey Market new lens I purchased. Read them the serial # and the response was "We can't tell if a lens is grey or US. But if I needed work done to send it in with receipt."

Just my experience.

I would suggest maybe looking into a Factory refurb lens, but for only a $200 -$300 savings it may be better to just buy new?

Good luck.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

en4h
55 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 01, 2013 11:07 |  #5

I'm not necessarily dead set on the cost savings. Heck, sometime it's not even $200-$300. I'm usually shopping the used market and I'm more concerned about Canon saying "nope, we won't touch your lens", even if I intend to pay for the repair.

Pete G.
EOS 60D | 18-135 ef-s, 70-200 f4 L

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,207 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 01, 2013 11:56 |  #6

i wouldn't spend more than $400 on it...i'd also assume repair would be more than $200...i'd at least call canon and find out what their flat rate charge is for the lens

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 01, 2013 14:45 |  #7

Doesn't sound like a great deal unless you can live with it or fix it yourself. A quick skim through Ebay shows the lens selling in the $800 range. Just over a week ago, one sold for $650. With a dropped lens, I'd be afraid of some unseen damage. Repair might cost a lot more than buying a good copy. Personally, I wouldn't bother and skip the possible headache.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,850 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 01, 2013 15:05 |  #8

You don't know that next week internal electrical ribbons aren't going to break from the 'impact' or what other damage it sustained.

Caveat Emptor

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sponsored links

874 views & 0 likes for this thread
Potential Purchase - Used 70-200F2.8L With "Front Play"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.