Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Jul 2012 (Monday) 16:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yongnuo YN-622C Controller Trigger

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,002 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 26, 2013 18:10 |  #1966

thanks for that little hope. :)

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
JAPE
289 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 26, 2013 23:42 |  #1967

CliveyBoy wrote in post #15655458 (external link)
Yes. A number offer odd numbers of units, and others give a good price on 3 or 5, etc if you ask.

Or, you can buy a spare - its useful for test triggering from a hand-held unit.

thanks, do you know of a reputable seller that would be willing to sell an odd number?

Gear List

-Canon 60D, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L

I am new to photography and am Eager to learn. So feel free Critique my photos :)
Flickr (external link)

heinimi
127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 28, 2013 01:38 as a reply to  @ JAPE's post |  #1968

Try http://thephotogadget.​com (external link). Grace is selling 622 in odd numbers (3, 5 triggers).

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 28, 2013 02:13 |  #1969

By the way - The YN-622N for Nikon is planned for release in March.

Once again, YN have taken a smart approach to the design. With Canon, they were able to make use of the flash control menus and the camera's display as an interface for the 622. Nikon AFAIK does not have a matching camera interface, but like Canon, they have master flashes and a commander unit which do. The 622N makes use of their interfaces to make 622N settings. And, like earlier Canon bodies, i-TTL, flash comp. and Manual can be used without a master device being mounted.

Remote and Smart Triggering (= Mix mode) are available, and most/all of the ancilliary facilities.

Yet to be learned is inter-operability between 622C and 622N.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 28, 2013 13:37 as a reply to  @ CliveyBoy's post |  #1970
bannedPermanent ban

Wow...that's what I have to say about the triggers. I just got a pair today. Without reading the manual. I just attached one on my 1dmarkIII and the other with my 580exII. ETTL mode. It works right off. The zoom setting on the 580exII is all manual now. I then increased the shutter speed from 1/500s to 1/800s. It works flawlessly and even in burst mode too. I did have to increase my ISO to 1600 in order to minimize shutter clipping. I am testing the unit indoor. The build quality is not bad. It does feel like it could take some beating too. :) Never mind. I have my flash zoom set to M.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 01, 2013 21:35 |  #1971

just to clarify, the YN-622c's are all transceiver's correct, unlike the Pixel King's that are either a transmitter or receiver? With the YN's, it won't matter which go on the camera and which on the flash?

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

Southswede
950 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 01, 2013 22:14 |  #1972

Looks like the Nikon version is just around the corner......

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 01, 2013 22:21 |  #1973

pstyle1 wrote in post #15667006 (external link)
just to clarify, the YN-622c's are all transceiver's correct, unlike the Pixel King's that are either a transmitter or receiver? With the YN's, it won't matter which go on the camera and which on the flash?

That's right. But care is needed. The unit on the camera stores most settings. This means that other units may have different values stored when they were on-camera. The settings that are applied depend on which unit you mount on-camera.

Southswede wrote in post #15667119 (external link)
Looks like the Nikon version is just around the corner.

More details about the 622N four posts back.

50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)

JCH77Yanks
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 02, 2013 11:13 |  #1974

Don't those values reset when you half press on the shutter button to wake/sync them all up?

Joe Halliday
7D | XT | 10-22 | 24-105 f/4L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 580EXII | 430EXII | 430EX | Flickr (external link)| 500px (external link) |
Dial "M" for Manual.

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 02, 2013 14:58 |  #1975

JCH77Yanks wrote in post #15668414 (external link)
Don't those values reset when you half press on the shutter button to wake/sync them all up?

No.

The shooting values on remotes do, but not the Master setting values on the 622 Master. Those settings are read by the camera on power-up. They are modified by the user by using the flash control menus.

It's exactly the same with a 580EXII mounted on-camera as a Master. Its settings are read by the camera, and not the other way around. Put a different 580 on the camera, and the camera will adopt the new settings. The 580's display does not change from what it displayed when hand-held.

One shortcoming of the YN-622C is that it does not store the firing group data from wireless mode. If you are using this facility, and power down the transmitter 622, the ratio or power level is lost, and must be re-created by using the menus.

Each 622 carries its own Master settings, which the camera will adopt on power-up of the specific unit.

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 02, 2013 15:05 |  #1976

CliveyBoy wrote in post #15669006 (external link)
One shortcoming of the YN-622C is that it does not store the firing group data from wireless mode. If you are using this facility, and power down the transmitter 622, the ratio or power level is lost, and must be re-created by using the menus.

I notice that after the flash went to sleep, the flash ratio is reset back to the default (A+B+C). Is that a known issue too?

Gearlist

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 02, 2013 15:27 |  #1977

kenwood33 wrote in post #15669018 (external link)
I notice that after the flash went to sleep, the flash ratio is reset back to the default (A+B+C). Is that a known issue too?

Probably caused by a momentary loss of contact, and when the camera restored contact, it used default values in the absence of 622-stored values.

Interesting point, thanks.

Robert ­ Welch
27 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 02, 2013 16:03 |  #1978

Robert Welch wrote in post #15648040 (external link)
Well, I used the 622 triggers yesterday at a wedding, first event usage. My only problem was some issues with the on-camera flash in eTTL mode. It seemed to occasionally produce an 'over-exposure', about one shot in 10, and in one stretch it was even more frequent, almost one in five (14 shots out of 78). I finally switched the on-camera flash to a manual setting, everything worked perfectly after that (was using 'mix' mode for the last sequence of 78 shots). The on-camera flash that was producing the overexposed shots is my 580exII, which has been an extremely reliable flash that has never given me any problems at all. I'll experiment some more with it, but it does appear to me that the 'pass-through' to the on-camera flash isn't quite as consistent as just having the flash mounted onto the camera directly. When I had everything in manual settings, it worked flawlessly, and it's nice to have total control over the manual power settings from the camera. In all, I'm satisfied with it as it appears to work, for now. I switched from using Radio Popper units (the original P1 units, which had about a 90% success rate of firing the off-camera flashes), but eventually I think I'll be upgrading to the 600ex-RT flashes, when I'm able to afford them. Until then, the YN622 seem to be very serviceable, with a little bit of instability in eTTL mode, perhaps.

Just wanted to follow up with some results from more testing I did today in the studio. This time I was testing for consistency of exposure in eTTL. To do this, I fixed the camera on a camera stand and carefully aligned the framing on my subject (same white/grey/black target as I used before) so that it didn't move between shots, and did a repeating series of shots the same. What I found was a difference in how the exposure resulted whether I had the YN622 on the camera, vs. just the flash on the camera directly (580ex and 580exII, tested both). Generally, it seems I get a hotter exposure when using the YN622, about a full stop from what I can tell, or maybe 2/3rds on average. Plus, I noticed that a slight shift of the framing on the subject gave a wider discrepancy in exposure accuracy when using the flash mounted on the YN622 as compared to just having the flash mounted directly on the camera w/o the 622. I was able to get consistent results with each configuration and adjustment, so there is no apparent fluctuation between shot exposures if nothing changes. But as I said, I seem to notice wider variation in exposure accuracy when framing (and probably subject matter) changes when using the 622, there fore I would deem it is probably less predictable in a given situation how your exposure will turn out when using the 622 vs. just using the flash on camera directly.

I did this test as scientifically as I could, making sure I kept all variables as consistent as possible, so that the only change was whether or not I was using the 622, and those were the results I found. They are consistent with what I experienced in actual usage at an event, where I felt like the eTTL results with the 622 were less predictable than what I was accustomed to when using the flash directly on the camera, before I got the YN622 units. Hopefully, I'll just get better at being able to predict the results with this setup, but it appears it will be more of a challenge. I'll probably use more in manual settings than I would otherwise.

CliveyBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 02, 2013 23:44 |  #1979

Robert - I would like to repeast the tests. What camera mode, shutter speed and aperture? If Av, what is your Av shutter C.Fn? Lens? Distance to target? When the 580EXII was direct on camera, was it in default settings (zoom, etc), and was Wireless enabled?

TonyHarrison
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 04, 2013 11:45 as a reply to  @ CliveyBoy's post |  #1980

Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of the YN622C triggers and a YN568EX flash, but I’ve experienced some problems with the triggers. I’m using a Canon 1Ds (Mark 1). When the flash is attached directly to the camera without any triggers it works fine, but when I have the triggers attached and the flash is off camera I run into problems.

First the triggers will fire the flash once, but then the camera locks up without displaying the image on the back. If I switch the trigger mounted to the hotshoe off, the camera will finish its cycle and display the image taken. Secondly, if I set the flash to manual mode (off camera), as soon as I press the camera’s shutter halfway, the flash automatically switches to ETTL mode again, which means I cannot set anything else and have it stay that way. Does it sound like I may have got a dodgy set of triggers? Or am I doing something wrong? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks

sponsored links

749,418 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yongnuo YN-622C Controller Trigger
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.