Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 13:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F Stop Bag Confusion

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 03, 2013 08:09 |  #16

Mackeral wrote in post #15668767 (external link)
I'm definitely considering a new bag and the F Stop seems to be what I need. I'm slightly confused by the use of the interior compartments. Is a purchase of one required to have the inclusion of separators?

before you go down the f-stop route check out the dslr bags by petrol as a viable alternative.

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

sponsored links
Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 03, 2013 09:28 |  #17

0.0f wrote in post #15671186 (external link)
before you go down the f-stop route check out the dslr bags by petrol as a viable alternative.

The petrol bags aren't even close to the features of the f-stop series bags.
No internal frame
No ICU
Bag opens from the wrong side (You have to put the strap side on the ground to access the camera, which means if it is dirty your back will no get dirty.)

What is it about the Pertrol bags that make you think they compare?

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

0.0f
179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 03, 2013 10:06 |  #18

Heath wrote in post #15671356 (external link)
The petrol bags aren't even close to the features of the f-stop series bags.
No internal frame
No ICU
Bag opens from the wrong side (You have to put the strap side on the ground to access the camera, which means if it is dirty your back will no get dirty.)

What is it about the Pertrol bags that make you think they compare?

The same can be said of the fstop bags in that you need to get it off your back to access the lenses/camera out of the icu.

The same cant be said of the pd336. As the camera sits in its own enclosure at the top of the bag and is very easy to access. Anyway I know it will work for me which is all I am bothered about.

EOS 5D MK3 - 24-70 MK2

harv3589
523 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 03, 2013 10:10 |  #19

0.0f wrote in post #15671449 (external link)
I know it will work for me which is all I am bothered about.

Thats all that matters...

Yetihenry
101 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 03, 2013 13:01 |  #20

The same can be said of the fstop bags in that you need to get it off your back to access the lenses/camera out of the icu.

The same cant be said of the pd336. As the camera sits in its own enclosure at the top of the bag and is very easy to access. Anyway I know it will work for me which is all I am bothered about.

I take off the straps and swing the bag around of the waist strap... My bag isn't in mud or snow.

Fuji Xe2 | 35mm F2 | 12mm F2 | 85mm f1.8 | My bag | Gear list/References

Mackeral
THREAD ­ STARTER
524 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 04, 2013 15:12 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Well, I didn't want to wait on the Guru stock, so I decided to take a stab with the Kenti. I look forward to getting it.

"Complete quietness surrounded me as the dense fog smothered all sounds. As the sun rose, lifting the fog to reveal this majestic mountain, all my thoughts of the daily hustle and bustle were put away, allowing me to sit in solitude with nature."
-Utter Bull

SVTruong
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 06, 2013 16:27 as a reply to  @ Mackeral's post |  #22

Hey Guys,

Apologies if you guys are having issues with our shopping cart and pricing. We're currently trying to get our shopping cart pricing sorted, but all discounts are applied before the order is processed since we process every order individually.

Don't hesitate to call us during business hours if you guys have any questions. :)

Thanks all for the support,
Sinh

dexy101
Goldmember
2,345 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 07, 2013 04:00 |  #23

But at least with the f-stop guru you don't need to put the bag down to get the camera out. And if you are in a crowded place you know that nobody will steal the camera without taking your bag off.

The guru and medium icu fits all my gear bar one 600-ex rt flash but with the 600's case you can put it round a shoulder strap and carry it that way. The only thing I didn't like about the guru was there's no water resistant cover to pull out. This was solved by buying one from amazon for a few £.

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 07, 2013 07:08 |  #24

They used to make a raincover for the Guru. I wonder what happened to it.
http://www.flickr.com …/stijnspijker/5​811759997/ (external link)

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 07, 2013 10:26 |  #25

Heath wrote in post #15686847 (external link)
They used to make a raincover for the Guru. I wonder what happened to it.

They still do:
http://fstopgear.com …ies/rain-cover-small-pack (external link)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 07, 2013 19:29 |  #26

for the price of these bags, they should be waterproof like billingham bags are, no need for rain covers. Once you put a rain cover on, consider your gear stowed and inaccessible. That sucks.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 07, 2013 19:31 |  #27

A regular backpack? Like a fifty dollar north face that I use for my gym clothes? That's a pretty broad statement, no? Which backpack are you exactly speaking of that you find more comfortable than an fstop?

Hogloff wrote in post #15668921 (external link)
Yes, you need to purchase an ICU. They don't have any compartments inside for your gear without an ICU.

An option is to purchase a regular backpack and then get an ICU for that pack. Cheaper and I find the backpack much more comfortable when loaded.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 07, 2013 20:32 |  #28

MDJAK wrote in post #15689529 (external link)
for the price of these bags, they should be waterproof like billingham bags are, no need for rain covers. Once you put a rain cover on, consider your gear stowed and inaccessible. That sucks.

Actually, since the raincover doesn't cover the back of the bag (the side which is against your back when carrying), your camera gear is still fully accessible with raincover on :)
Although accessories that you store in the pockets other than the main compartment are not.

But I do agree in a way. I think that for the price, the raincover should be included. That said, the bags are quite water-resistant as it is. I used my Guru in a medium intensity downpour for a while, and it was bone dry inside.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 07, 2013 20:35 |  #29

MDJAK wrote in post #15689529 (external link)

I do not own the rain cover and go out in the rain all the time with my bag. Now I am usually just walking around in the city, and I am not out all day in a torrential downpour.

Heath

sponsored links

3,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
F Stop Bag Confusion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.