Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Mar 2013 (Monday) 02:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you store your pics

ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 04, 2013 02:38 |  #1

How do you store your massive picture collection? Just back them up to your hard drive or do you use a server type backup system or other external hard drive setup. I ask because my laptop is full my external drives are full and i was wondering if I should get a server type that hooks up to the router where I can dump all my pics from the desktop to the laptops and even the iPad ..either way works just expensive..and so I am asking what you guys do to back up your pics..thanks any intel is appreciated
Roger

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

sponsored links
Alan ­ Rubio
837 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 04, 2013 02:54 |  #2

I keep an external hard drive and empty out the older files as soon as they start filling them up. Pics on my main laptop take up way too much space.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -Howard Thurman

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 04, 2013 03:01 |  #3

You need multiple storage locations.

At the very least, every photo should be stored on two disks, but preferably 3 or more. You should try to have one copy of the photos at a different geographical location, to cover fire, burglary etc.

3TB external USB drives are quite cheap.
And there are some cheap NAS solutions where you can get a "mini server" with 2 or 4 disks.

The main thing you need to plan for is, that every single disk have a "fail timer" that is constantly ticking down. What do you do when that fail timer reaches zero? What if a second disk reaches zero before you have recovered from the first disk failure? And remember that two disks of same brand and model bought at the same time may have the same manufacturing or programming flaw, really making them fail very close in time. It isn't a "one in a billion" to have two drives die almost at the same time.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 04, 2013 07:17 |  #4

All client photos live in 5 hard drives in two locations. In office all photos are backed up to a Raid 1 external drive, another external drive, a separate dedicated internal drive and and are regularly backed up to an offsite external hard drive as well. Thinking of adding a cloud based service for good measure. I use Sync Toy (free) everytime I import photos, quite simple.

Whatever system you come up with, make sure it is simple. If its not simple and easy the odds of you keeping up with your backup process decrease sharply.

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

camflan
62 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 04, 2013 07:22 |  #5

RAID attached to my iMac, all photos on RAID, current year on internal drives. UnRAID file server in house with 20TB for all our computer backups, media, and all photos from iMac and attached RAID backed up to this server.

Server and iMac/RAID backed up to crashplan, LR catalog on Dropbox as well.

Camron
camronflanders.com (external link)
Reviews (external link) / Gear (external link) / Tweets (external link)

StillCrazy
612 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 04, 2013 07:38 |  #6

camflan wrote in post #15674572 (external link)
RAID attached to my iMac, all photos on RAID, current year on internal drives. UnRAID file server in house with 20TB for all our computer backups, media, and all photos from iMac and attached RAID backed up to this server.

Server and iMac/RAID backed up to crashplan, LR catalog on Dropbox as well.

I'm surprised more people don't use a RAID system for backup. It's simple to setup using either software RAID, or hardware RAID. I ran many servers with large disk array attached, all on RAID 5, or RAID 1 setups. In all the years I did this, I had three disk failures, which were easily fixed by replacing the bad drive and having the system auto rebuild the data on the dead drive. Never a data loss.

Backups were done nightly and stored offsite, for redundant safety.

StillCrazy - after all these years.
Canon T3i, Sigma 18-200, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 70-300, Rokinon 14, Yongnuo YN 565 EX
My flickr (external link)

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 04, 2013 07:58 as a reply to  @ StillCrazy's post |  #7

Main storage is on an internal HD in my desktop Mac. First backup is on a secondary HD inside the Mac configured as a Time Machine backup. Second backup is an external USB 2TB HD which is re-cloned weekly from the main storage. Third backup is an identical external USB 2TB HD which is swapped with the second backup monthly and stored in a fireproof box.

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 04, 2013 08:31 |  #8

BioSci, I'm trying to understand your workflow/backup flow -- wait, that doesn't sound too good. OK, so after a shoot, the cards get dumped to your desktop's HD. Fiddle with them in LR/PS and at the end of the day you do a Time Machine backup?

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

camflan
62 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 04, 2013 09:09 |  #9

Corbeau wrote in post #15674731 (external link)
BioSci, I'm trying to understand your workflow/backup flow -- wait, that doesn't sound too good. OK, so after a shoot, the cards get dumped to your desktop's HD. Fiddle with them in LR/PS and at the end of the day you do a Time Machine backup?

Time Machine runs on its own schedule updating the backup with any changed files using a series of hardlinks to maintain snapshots of your data. It might run several times while he is working on files, saving changes to the backup drive as he goes.

Camron

camflan
62 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 04, 2013 09:11 |  #10

StillCrazy wrote in post #15674609 (external link)
I'm surprised more people don't use a RAID system for backup. It's simple to setup using either software RAID, or hardware RAID. I ran many servers with large disk array attached, all on RAID 5, or RAID 1 setups. In all the years I did this, I had three disk failures, which were easily fixed by replacing the bad drive and having the system auto rebuild the data on the dead drive. Never a data loss.

I know far too many people who think that storing their files on an external raid as primary storage is a backup. A RAID is not a backup by itself, as you know - you have to have backups of your backups. Physically separating multiple backups is the only way to feel safe about your data.

Camron

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 04, 2013 09:30 |  #11

Careful with terminology.

A RAID is just one copy of a file. So a RAID isn't in itself a complete backup solution - you still need other storage locations for the file too.

The intention with RAID is to improve availability (i.e. avoid down-time) and in some situations to give extra bandwidth (by having the data striped onto multiple disks) or extra search capability (by having the data searchable on multiple disks).

But a RAID can fail just a single disk can fail, meaning that the RAID must not be the only storage location for the data. A RAID doesn't help with an uncaught transfer error, or an OS that gives an incorrect write command, or a user (or virus) that requests file overwrites/deletes. And there are a number of situations where the redundancy will not be enough. Multiple disks can fail. The disk controller can fail for multiple disks. The power supply can fail. The firmware can fail.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC

StillCrazy
612 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 04, 2013 09:50 |  #12

camflan wrote in post #15674832 (external link)
I know far too many people who think that storing their files on an external raid as primary storage is a backup.

pwm2 wrote in post #15674897 (external link)
Careful with terminology.

A RAID is just one copy of a file. So a RAID isn't in itself a complete backup solution - you still need other storage locations for the file too.

Both of you failed to read through to the end of my statement. I'll repeat it here for you, since you missed it the first time.

Backups were done nightly and stored offsite, for redundant safety

Got It?

Canon T3i, Sigma 18-200, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 70-300, Rokinon 14, Yongnuo YN 565 EX

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 04, 2013 10:01 |  #13

StillCrazy wrote in post #15674985 (external link)
Both of you failed to read through to the end of my statement. I'll repeat it here for you, since you missed it the first time.

Backups were done nightly and stored offsite, for redundant safety

Got It?

No. I didn't fail to read. But that last sentence doesn't negates the issues with the first sentence: "I'm surprised more people don't use a RAID system for backup."

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 04, 2013 10:07 |  #14

All my pic's are stored locally; collection has grown across 2 drives now. (300gb Velociraptor && 256gb ssd, I am not sure what my long term plan is here yet; maybe cycle older files out; or switch to bigger local drives as prices drop...).

Automatically backed up to my local nas; 4x1tb in raid5. All 'keepers' get uploaded @ full quality to Flickr or similar also (My only 'off site', so my RAWs aren't protected)

I've been staring at mass off site backup solution; but I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. (amazon Glacier leading in my mind currently..)

[6D]

StillCrazy
612 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 04, 2013 10:12 |  #15

When you know what you're doing, and can figure things out, you'll understand it is exactly another form of backup. And from experience, it was the fastest, simplest and most reliable form. It happened within milliseconds of any change to the primary drives, not having to wait till secondary backups began. What you are trying to do is stress is the need for multiple backup strategies. One of which should include RAID.

sponsored links

5,652 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you store your pics
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.