Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 00:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

cleaning a lens

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 12, 2013 00:23 |  #1

I have been using zeiss wipes, the pre-moistened kind, to clean my coated lenses and I notice that when it dries there are little spots all over my lens. How do I get rid of these spots? Is there a better cleaning solution than zeiss wipes or am I doing something wrong?!

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 12, 2013 00:32 |  #2

I use those wipes mostly on my eyeglasses, but some times on lenses. I find a get a lot less residue if I keep wiping as the wipe dries out. If you stop while the wipe is still wet, it leaves stuff that has to evaporate. Any residual solution wipes off nicely with a soft cloth after it dries. The eyeglass cleaning cloths Costco gives out with a new pair of glasses work great for this since they're soft and absorbent as opposed to the more smooth and silk-like texture of most microfiber cloths.

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 12, 2013 00:49 |  #3

Well problem solved, I have a lens pen and I had never used it before. I didn't realize that it has some magical black tip which erases any speck off of your lens without a trace of anything whatsoever, I always thought it was just a brush in a pen. I was wrong, this thing just made my day. Optics are perfect now, no smearing or dots or streaks.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 12, 2013 10:57 |  #4

I'm another fan of the lens pen.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 12, 2013 11:39 |  #5

Lens pens are great when new... But after so many wipes their effectiveness goes away quickly. I usually go through one every few months. Not bad though.

I get the spotting/smears with the Zeiss wipes as well. I generally will blow off the lens/filter, then use the wet wipe and right after I stop wiping with that, go right to a clean microfiber to remove the residual fluid left behind. After that, it usually is good to go or may require a breath-fogging, depending.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 13, 2013 17:45 |  #6

Invertalon, I have a theory that suggests the alcohol in the zeiss wipes evaporates before the other chemicals inside the cleaning solution and these remaining chemicals are what cause the spots which kind of look like water spots from tap water. Theoretically of course. I guess I could test by cleaning my lens next to a warm hair drier blast to see if everything dries in a more uniform order.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 13, 2013 17:49 as a reply to  @ calypsob's post |  #7

I had the same problem with the ziess wipes, but then i reread the directions and it actually says keep up the circular motion untill the wipe is dry, when I started doing that I didn't get anymore residue

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 13, 2013 18:12 |  #8

It looks like this is worth publishing again....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A squeeze-bulb blower such as a Rocket Blower by Giottos, quality lens tissue (such as that sold by Kodak and now Tiffen), a good lens cleaning fluid, and PROPER TECHNIQUE is the way that I have cleaned my lenses for decades.

What is "proper technique"?

First - the goal is to clean the lens (or filter - I would use the very same process) without grinding any dirt/debris into the lens. To me, this absolutely dictates single-use surfaces for anything that touches the lens. That's why I use lens tissues instead of a washable cloth or - particularly - something like a lens pen.

Here are the steps that I use to clean a lens:

1. Use a squeeze-bulb blower to blow any loose dust off the lens. 90% of the time, step 1 is all that is necessary.

2. Take a lens tissue out of the pack. Fold it once, holding only what was the ends of the tissue. You want to be extremely careful to NEVER TOUCH the areas of the lens tissue that will be touching the lens. This will avoid transferring oils from your fingers to the lens.

3. Moisten the folded portion of the lens tissue with a little lens cleaner. You don't want the tissue dripping wet, but it must be damp.

CAUTION: NEVER apply lens cleaner directly to the lens (though it won’t hurt a filter, you don’t want liquid leaking into the lens’ innards).

4. Wipe LIGHTLY across the lens ONCE with the damp tissue. Then either turn it over or fold it so that you can wipe again, but with an unused surface. You can do this as often as needed, as long as you never wipe the lens twice with any surface of the tissue. This prevents scratches. Again, make sure you never touch an area of the tissue that will touch the lens.

5. Ensuring that the lens is actually clean, use a dry tissue, handled the same way as above, to wipe the lens dry. Since you have already removed the dirt, there's no risk of scratching the lens with the dry tissue.

6. Dispose of the used lens tissues in a proper trash receptacle.

That's it in a nutshell. Simple and effective. I've been cleaning my lenses this way for over 45 years, and all of them have pristine glass (and none have ever worn "protective" filters).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2013 18:19 |  #9

I use Eclipse and PecPads an don't have any issues.

Gear List

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 14, 2013 05:33 |  #10

Numenorean wrote in post #15607283 (external link)
I use Eclipse and PecPads an don't have any issues.

You use Eclipse for cleaning lenses? Isn't that a little expensive?

I use a micture of isoPropyl Alcohol (external link) and water - about 20x cheaper than eclipse. Plus, IPA is a lot more gentle than methanol (which is what Eclipse is).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Feb 20, 2013 17:29 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #11

On recs from POTN, I had bought a lens pen when I bought my first lens. But I keep my lens caps on when not in use, so I never had occasion to use mine until recently. I use my 85/1.8 a lot - and I had recently noticed a slight degradation of quality. When I examined the glass, darned if I didn't find all sorts of dust on them.

I used the pen, and now everything is hunky-dory!

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

badams
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 04, 2013 14:30 |  #12

Wait until you get a bad lens pen. I had used one on my 500mm without any problems, then bought another one to use on my binoculars. The binos didn't have anything but dust on them, but the pen smeared something all over the eyepieces. I had bought 2 pens that day and both of them did it. I forgot what I used to clean it up now, but I'm just glad it wasn't on any of my lenses.

I haven't used a pen since and probably won't ever use one again.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 04, 2013 14:43 |  #13

hollis_f wrote in post #15608794 (external link)
You use Eclipse for cleaning lenses? Isn't that a little expensive?

I use a micture of isoPropyl Alcohol (external link) and water - about 20x cheaper than eclipse. Plus, IPA is a lot more gentle than methanol (which is what Eclipse is).

Xylol is the best solvent for cleaning any form of glass specially when got hand oil or likewise. This is the secret industry doesn't want you to know!

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 04, 2013 15:01 |  #14

samsen wrote in post #15676095 (external link)
Xylol is the best solvent for cleaning any form of glass specially when got hand oil or likewise. This is the secret industry doesn't want you to know!

WARNING

Do not be tempted to use Xylol. It is poisonous. LINK (external link)

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 05, 2013 00:08 |  #15

hollis_f wrote in post #15676189 (external link)
WARNING

Do not be tempted to use Xylol. It is poisonous. LINK (external link)

I'm not saying that a person shouldn't be careful with chemicals, but MSDS sheets tend to take the worst case scenario when it comes to exposure. While I'm not advocating chugging an aqueous solution of this stuff, it's probably safer to work with than you think when it's in low concentrations.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links

4,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
cleaning a lens
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.