Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Mar 2013 (Monday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a good travel camera

Drakeskakes
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 04, 2013 14:20 |  #1

I don't want to lug all my gear around my trip to Sydney. I'll be there for 10 days, and as many of you know...when you're more worried about getting the right shot you don't always get to enjoy the vacation part of it.

I was thinking of buying an x100 to bring along, but my only concern is the fixed 28mm not being wide enough for some of the amazing wide landscape shots I'm sure will be found all over sydney. I take comfort in knowing my skills of stitching photos is up to par though.

I was just wondering if there was a better option. Thanks

"Nobodys built like you....
.... You design yourself"
www.NeillDrake.com (external link)
Gripped 50D | 17-55 2.8 IS USM | Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye | 100mm 2.8 Macro USM | Nifty Fifty | 430ex II | Timbuk2

sponsored links
samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 04, 2013 14:22 |  #2

Thinking of PnS is correct.
You have adequate options, depending on your expectations.
Also you can try Canon M with large crop sensor or similar line of Sony NEX and likewise.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 04, 2013 17:36 |  #3

Do you have a budget? There are loads of options out there if you don't mind dropping some money. The X100 is a great, great camera, and a used one is under $700 now, but it has its quirks and if you're already worried about it not being wide enough (it's a 35mm equivalent, by the way, not a 28mm...unless you get their expensive WA converter) you might find that to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. (I personally haven't found it all that restricting personally, but I'm not all that into wide stuff.)

Have you thought of a Fuji X-E1 with the 18-55mm kit lens? The whole package is bigger than the X100, but that lens is one of the best APS-C standard zooms, period and you can get a used kit on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $1050 right now.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

jdpence
584 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 04, 2013 19:12 |  #4

I intend to pick up a G1x before my next trip

Jeremy
Engineer by day...Amateur Photographer whenever I can find time for it
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=591727

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,760 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 04, 2013 19:55 as a reply to  @ jdpence's post |  #5

The new Leica M and 21 lux?

splathecat
57 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 04, 2013 22:43 |  #6

The only inconvenience you get from a camera during travel is when you get home and are disappointed with the poor quality because you didn't use your best.

I'd take a lightweight dslr set up if you have one. Single lens and bag, and the P&S if you feel you need it.

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 05, 2013 06:30 |  #7

I had the same issue. I'm teaching English in Korea at the moment with my girlfriend and we intend to spend about a month and a half after our contract traveling around southeast Asia. I bought a Olympus E-PL2 for the trip because I don't want to carry my heavier gear. Focus is pretty snappy and the image quality is good.

Drakeskakes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 05, 2013 08:16 as a reply to  @ Keith_D's post |  #8

Thanks guys, just went ahead an ordered a XE-1 with the kit lens. I figured it would give me better performance and more versatility than any comparably priced models

Gripped 50D | 17-55 2.8 IS USM | Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye | 100mm 2.8 Macro USM | Nifty Fifty | 430ex II | Timbuk2

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2013 09:30 |  #9

Drakeskakes wrote in post #15678854 (external link)
Thanks guys, just went ahead an ordered a XE-1 with the kit lens. I figured it would give me better performance and more versatility than any comparably priced models

Sweet. I'd be happy to take it off your hands for free if you don't like it!

One word of advice: if you're a RAW shooter, bear in mind that compatibility with the X-Trans sensors is still in the larval stage. Lightroom/ACR just got their act together and improved their demosaicing algorithm, Aperture isn't compatible at all, Capture 1 does about the same quality job as LR, and Silkypix (which comes with the camera) is awful to use. JPEGs, thankfully, are better than most. The specific advice, though, is that if part of your workflow is to run your RAWs through DNG converter - don't! You'll want to keep all of those original files in the inevitable case that Adobe's handling of them continues to improve.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

Drakeskakes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 05, 2013 17:46 |  #10

cptrios wrote in post #15679095 (external link)
Sweet. I'd be happy to take it off your hands for free if you don't like it!

One word of advice: if you're a RAW shooter, bear in mind that compatibility with the X-Trans sensors is still in the larval stage. Lightroom/ACR just got their act together and improved their demosaicing algorithm, Aperture isn't compatible at all, Capture 1 does about the same quality job as LR, and Silkypix (which comes with the camera) is awful to use. JPEGs, thankfully, are better than most. The specific advice, though, is that if part of your workflow is to run your RAWs through DNG converter - don't! You'll want to keep all of those original files in the inevitable case that Adobe's handling of them continues to improve.

Thanks for the heads up. Usually I just import using LR4 and edit as I see fit, save the edited as it's own file and leave my originals alone. Hopefully it works

Drakeskakes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 06, 2013 01:06 as a reply to  @ Drakeskakes's post |  #11

I'm wondering if I should have gotten an NEX-7

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 06, 2013 09:03 |  #12

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15677242 (external link)
The new Leica M and 21 lux?

Wow, nobody came back on this one. ;)

That would have been my choice. (actually, my choice would have been an M6 and a 21 Lux, but I fear that would have gone over even worse).

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 06, 2013 09:03 |  #13

Drakeskakes wrote in post #15682295 (external link)
I'm wondering if I should have gotten an NEX-7

No. The XE-1 is a terrific camera.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 06, 2013 21:26 |  #14

Take your gear - or at least some of it.
You'll be there for no more than an hour and regret having left it home.
Sydney has so many amazing photo opportunities, many that you simply can't get with a p & s or something like a G Series camera.
If you're going to be there for 10 days, I'm guessing there will be day trips to places like the Blue Mountains as well and again the same thing applies. You just can't get some shots without decent gear.
I coudn't imagine going to Sydney without a DSLR and selection of lenses.

Off topic, I know, but while you are in Sydney, make sure you do a Bridge Climb.
It will be 3 or so hours you will never forget.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

sponsored links

2,132 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a good travel camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.