Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...

this thread is locked
tjbrock42
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2013 13:12 |  #331

Does anyone have any links to pics of each of the different viewfinders so you can actually see how "cramped" the AF points are in comparison to one another? When I was playing with the 6D in the store the other day, the AF points didn't feel too cramped to me.

I would obviously be interested in how the 6D and 5D3 compare, but also some others that have been mentioned in this thread (7D, 550D, etc.).

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

sponsored links
tjbrock42
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2013 13:27 |  #332

I got impatient. Here are a few links I found...

a link to links (sorry):
http://www.canonrumors​.com/forum/index.php?t​opic=9656.0 (external link)

and this one:
http://www.canonrumors​.com/forum/index.php?t​opic=9938.0 (external link)

I know, not the best, but its something to look at.

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

Yarik
212 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 05, 2013 13:30 |  #333

tjbrock42 wrote in post #15679898 (external link)
Does anyone have any links to pics of each of the different viewfinders so you can actually see how "cramped" the AF points are in comparison to one another? When I was playing with the 6D in the store the other day, the AF points didn't feel too cramped to me.

I would obviously be interested in how the 6D and 5D3 compare, but also some others that have been mentioned in this thread (7D, 550D, etc.).

Here you go

http://forums.dpreview​.com/forums/post/42569​709 (external link)

http://www.phreekz.de …/canon-af-vergleich-2012/ (external link)

Sony α7R III / Sony 55mm 1.8 / Batis 135mm 2.8 / Flashpoint Zoom-Mini TTL R2 / Helios 44-2, Helios 44m, Helios 44m-4
To Sell: 6D (Sold) / 80D (Sold) / EF 35 1.4L II (Sold) / EF 85mm 1.8 USM (Sold) / EF 135 2.0L (Sold)/ 600EX RT (Sold) / EF 70-210mm 3.5-4.5 USM (For Sale)
Past: T2i / EF 50mm 1.8 II / Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.0 / 430EX II / EF 24-105mm 4.0L

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,689 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 05, 2013 14:19 |  #334

Idk, I've found the 6D's outer points more than adequate. I've been using them the past few days just to test them out and haven't had an issue. I'm also coming from a 20D and a T2i though, so I guess since I've never had better, there's nothing to miss, and everything about the 6D is an upgrade from my past cameras, focus included.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 05, 2013 14:20 |  #335

Hehe, I have been searching for that 1st link for the last hour. Couldn't find it on dpreview. Found the 2nd link though. Thanks for sharing them. If I ever need them again, I know I just have to look at the posts in my thread. :)

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

ifi
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 05, 2013 14:55 |  #336

jocau wrote in post #15679888 (external link)
I'm not giving him advice. I'm giving him things to think about. English is not my native language, so I can't always express myself perfectly the way I want to. I'm just questioning everything of <fill in a random camera>. However there are always facts e.g. it is a fact that the AF points on the 6D are cramped up in the center (compared to the AF points on a 550D/600D/650D/50D/60D​/7D/5D3/1DX...). Even the AF points on my cheap 550D are spread more. And one can think of how this would affect the way of photographing. E.g. for person A this could be the biggest "no-go" ever while person B couldn't care less.

Your English is perfectly fine, better than mine.

I own both 5d3 and 6d, they both are great cameras and there is nothing wrong with 6d's auto focus!!!

:)

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 06, 2013 11:00 |  #337

tjbrock42 wrote in post #15679928 (external link)
I got impatient. Here are a few links I found...

a link to links (sorry):
http://www.canonrumors​.com/forum/index.php?t​opic=9656.0 (external link)

and this one:
http://www.canonrumors​.com/forum/index.php?t​opic=9938.0 (external link)

I know, not the best, but its something to look at.

none are as good as far as spread goes as the new d7100 in 1.3x or even 1.5x mode those in the first link are all cramped just happens the 5d3 is wider and gives you far more options

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 06, 2013 12:10 |  #338

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #15683515 (external link)
none are as good as far as spread goes as the new d7100 in 1.3x or even 1.5x mode those in the first link are all cramped just happens the 5d3 is wider and gives you far more options

But only 15 crosstype AF points on the D7100 and they are all located in the center. And more noise at high ISO values compared to fullframe cameras. Then I'd rather have the 7D AF with all AF points being crosstype. And I bet the 7D Mark II is going to do even better.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 06, 2013 12:35 |  #339

jocau wrote in post #15683781 (external link)
But only 15 crosstype AF points on the D7100 and they are all located in the center. And more noise at high ISO values compared to fullframe cameras. Then I'd rather have the 7D AF with all AF points being crosstype. And I bet the 7D Mark II is going to do even better.

i'll own the 7d2 no doubt but foe me the 7d d7100 combo will be just fine until i get the 7d2 and it will let me play in the nikon camp to get no aa filter and better DR :)

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 06, 2013 12:40 |  #340

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #15683861 (external link)
i'll own the 7d2 no doubt but foe me the 7d d7100 combo will be just fine until i get the 7d2 and it will let me play in the nikon camp to get no aa filter and better DR :)

Well have fun with your D7100 then. :)

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 06, 2013 12:45 |  #341

i will indeed :)

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,689 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 06, 2013 13:49 |  #342

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #15683861 (external link)

Doesn't that mean you'll have to spend a bunch of money on glass for both systems? I've got nothing against Nikon, I think just about any new DSLR these days will do a fantastic job, but I don't get sharing across two different systems since the lenses won't work right... if they did I'd probably sell my T2i and use a Pentax as my backup camera.

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 06, 2013 15:07 |  #343

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #15684150 (external link)
Doesn't that mean you'll have to spend a bunch of money on glass for both systems? I've got nothing against Nikon, I think just about any new DSLR these days will do a fantastic job, but I don't get sharing across two different systems since the lenses won't work right... if they did I'd probably sell my T2i and use a Pentax as my backup camera.

there are somethings i want that nikon offer like the flash system (canon is antiquated and offers not much that the nikon system does) and there are a few lenses that nikon offers that canon has no answer to nor sharpness like the 14-24 and the primes on the lower prices end of the g spectrum are amazing when compared to the likes of canon especially the 50mm g compared to the 50mm mark ii there arent a lot of things i want that include nikon but the d7100 was enough to make me want to get into it :)

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 06, 2013 17:39 |  #344

jocau wrote in post #15675684 (external link)
Still leaning more towards the 5D3 (for quite some time now), but waiting for a pricedrop. Can't justify (but can afford) the 5D3 at its current price. The 6D is much easier to justify but it's lacking (crosstype) AF points in my opinion (rule of thirds *ahum*).

I have to admit I'm perplexed what criterea you're basing your decision on. But then I do confess I struggle to understand, why would anyone be so hung up about remotely contolling a camera with an iphone5!
Surely if I had so little interaction with my camera, I wouldn't bother with a 6D let alone a 5d3!
A Good camera for all that "whack it on facebook immediately" crap would be an iPad4. Its got a built in low light ability 12 mps - instant onto social networking sites, and a brilliant display. (Sorry for being mean just could not resist that jibe)

However If you are actually going to really enjoy photography, and you seem to analyse your purchase process in detail ( ironically actually rather like I do) I can tell you now, you would regret geting the plasticy 6D, with the cramped AF.
I can happily take 400 clicks in a 4 hour shoot. Go and do that a couple of times and then tell me if you would be happy to 1/2 press and recompose! No Way. Just buy the 5D3 and lash out on the Best value for money lens the 70-300L F 4-F 5.6 IS USM and go and take some quality portraits, and a few outside shots sports etc.
G'tee you will be sending me a pm saying "thanks for saving me from a big mistake!"
And my other prediction is you will take a lot more than 2000 pics per year!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,689 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 06, 2013 19:45 |  #345

Submariner wrote in post #15685028 (external link)
I have to admit I'm perplexed what criterea you're basing your decision on. But then I do confess I struggle to understand, why would anyone be so hung up about remotely contolling a camera with an iphone5!
Surely if I had so little interaction with my camera, I wouldn't bother with a 6D let alone a 5d3!
A Good camera for all that "whack it on facebook immediately" crap would be an iPad4. Its got a built in low light ability 12 mps - instant onto social networking sites, and a brilliant display. (Sorry for being mean just could not resist that jibe)

However If you are actually going to really enjoy photography, and you seem to analyse your purchase process in detail ( ironically actually rather like I do) I can tell you now, you would regret geting the plasticy 6D, with the cramped AF.
I can happily take 400 clicks in a 4 hour shoot. Go and do that a couple of times and then tell me if you would be happy to 1/2 press and recompose! No Way. Just buy the 5D3 and lash out on the Best value for money lens the 70-300L F 4-F 5.6 IS USM and go and take some quality portraits, and a few outside shots sports etc.
G'tee you will be sending me a pm saying "thanks for saving me from a big mistake!"
And my other prediction is you will take a lot more than 2000 pics per year!

IMAGE: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1290449/picard-facepalm-o.gif

Only the top cover is plastic, if you weren't told so you'd never even know the difference. It's not some cheap disposable utensile plastic, it's high impact ABS and I guarantee it will last far longer then you'd want to keep any camera body. And I also find that taking the time to compose your shots properly results in more keepers then randomly spraying your shutter at everything you shoot anyway. The points on the 6D are accurate and work great. Just because you feel compelled to have the "top of the line" camera, doesn't mean it's necessary for everyone. People shot professionally with the 5DII for 5 years and the 6D is an upgrade to it in just about every way.

Also, if you can't see the creative possibilities that WiFi introduces then you're clearly not very imaginative.

sponsored links

111,407 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.