Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 06:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Strap Advertising

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 05, 2013 06:53 |  #1

Would you personalize your website on your camera strap?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2013 07:52 |  #2

No. You really can't see what the camera strap says. And we wear logo's on our shirts anyway.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 05, 2013 09:05 |  #3

I worked with one photographer and he wore a vest with the logo and website on the back on his vest. I really like the idea but I look terrible in a vest *LOL*

Where do you have the log on your shirt and do you have your web address?

How cool would a QR code be..*LOL*

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2013 07:45 |  #4

I think logos on my strap, shirt or bag are all tacky and low-class. I don't know a single high end photographer that does this, but I do know a bunch of mechanics that do.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 06, 2013 10:21 |  #5

^ *LOL* I have have seen wedding photographers shoot with Canon CPS straps. Basically they are advertising Canon.

As soon as I am about to hit the high end wedding market, I'll will stop:)

Not sure what direction I will go but I do not see it was tacky.

Putting out your business card on a guests table " TACKY"

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2013 10:56 |  #6

scorpio_e wrote in post #15683347 (external link)
^ *LOL* I have have seen wedding photographers shoot with Canon CPS straps. Basically they are advertising Canon.

As soon as I am about to hit the high end wedding market, I'll will stop:)

Not sure what direction I will go but I do not see it was tacky.

Putting out your business card on a guests table " TACKY"

CPS Straps are comfortable and nice, but I don't use them for weddings either. I also have gaff tape all over my camera, which generally covers the logos.

Dress for the job you want. Mechanics and plumbers have logos on their shirts. I don't think Ben Chrisman or Denis Regie or Susan Stripling or Cliff Mautner do. Where do you want your business to be? What business do you want to emulate?

I don't put my business cards on guest's table either and agree that that is tacky.

FWIW, I don't think having your camera logo on your camera or strap showing is tacky at all. That is kinda how the gear comes. And the high-quality strap is a nice replacement for the crappy one that comes in the box with the new cameras.

Current Gear List

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 06, 2013 13:50 |  #7

I wouldn't wear my logo because my logo is part of my branding which represents myself when I am not somewhere in person. Wearing a logo automatically creates an implication that you are under the company or subordinate to the company brand you are wearing (on your clothes, straps are gear and don't qualify in this discussion). As a photographer, I am trying to sell people on my work, but I am also trying to sell them on myself. Wedding clients would much rather see me in a nice dress shirt, vest, and bow tie than a company polo or other sort of branded clothing.

I'll agree with Tom's sentiment about the mechanic/plumber look as it's a great point. Be aware of people's perceptions and presuppositions, and avoid the bad ones when you are able.

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 06, 2013 14:43 |  #8

i think it can be cool if it's subtle and stylish, for my business anyway. hell, in some circles even a mechanic style look is cool and would be appropriate. some people could probably pull off something gaudy and flashy if that fit their business model/client type.
some people could pull of a fricken macrame camera strap. not me, but i'm just saying if it doesn't work for one business, doesn't mean it couldn't for another. I think thomas is being a little overly judgemental imo. i would think a nice logo would generally look better than 'canon blah blah' on it.

like others have said though: look how you want others to see you and how you want your business percieved.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2013 15:49 |  #9

bigarchi wrote in post #15684391 (external link)
i think it can be cool if it's subtle and stylish, for my business anyway. hell, in some circles even a mechanic style look is cool and would be appropriate. some people could probably pull off something gaudy and flashy if that fit their business model/client type.
some people could pull of a fricken macrame camera strap. not me, but i'm just saying if it doesn't work for one business, doesn't mean it couldn't for another. I think thomas is being a little overly judgemental imo. i would think a nice logo would generally look better than 'canon blah blah' on it.

like others have said though: look how you want others to see you and how you want your business percieved.

To be clear, I think a logo on a shirt is way tackier than a logo on the strap. I don't think a logo on a strap is going to be all that noticeable in many situations.

Current Gear List

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,645 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 06, 2013 15:54 |  #10

I go through way too many shirts to have some sort of logo or advertisement on myself... Have too many things on my mind on a wedding day, being a walking billboard isn't one of them...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

david ­ lee
586 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 06, 2013 16:10 |  #11

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15682825 (external link)
I think logos on my strap, shirt or bag are all tacky and low-class. I don't know a single high end photographer that does this, but I do know a bunch of mechanics that do.

Not sure if I would be considered high end but I am pretty sure I am not low end.
I have my Logo on my shirt and my Christian name is in the logo, I don't consider it tacky at all in fact I think its not only tasteful but useful because guests immediately know my name :)

davidleeimages.co.uk (external link)
pbase (external link)
gear

"My fingers hurt from taking too many photos" D.A.Lee LBIPP

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 06, 2013 16:12 |  #12

Some interesting points and comments. Thanks for your input.

I think the point is to get people to remember you and your brand. There are lets say 125 + people at a wedding who have no idea who you are.

So let me throw this out there. How do you get those 125+ people to know who you are and your brand. It's not the B&G job to promote you at a wedding.

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 06, 2013 16:16 |  #13

well i don't think it's anyones job to promote you at a wedding. you are at the wedding to do a job for that couple.
i would probably never go out of my way to promote myself at a wedding gig.

though i don't think adding a small logo to my shirt/pants/strap/bag whatever is going out of my way or intruding on that particular event at all.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 06, 2013 16:18 |  #14

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15684665 (external link)
I go through way too many shirts to have some sort of logo or advertisement on myself... Have too many things on my mind on a wedding day, being a walking billboard isn't one of them...

i don't think anyone is talking about being a walking billboard.
and if having a logo on your shirt or strap distracts you from doing your job, then well, yeah, don't do it.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 06, 2013 16:18 |  #15

scorpio_e wrote in post #15684734 (external link)
Some interesting points and comments. Thanks for your input.

I think the point is to get people to remember you and your brand. There are lets say 125 + people at a wedding who have no idea who you are.

So let me throw this out there. How do you get those 125+ people to know who you are and your brand. It's not the B&G job to promote you at a wedding.

You dont want 125+ remembering you as the guy who stood out because of the tacky nascar logoed out look either. Business cards at the reception table, and hopefully the bride and groom will share the work and let that do the talking.

sponsored links

4,527 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Strap Advertising
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.