Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

photographer uses rebel for wedding shoot

CPRPOTN
26 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 06, 2013 16:57 |  #1

Should I be worried that the photographer I'm interested in hiring uses T2i and T3i with 18-135 lens? They want almost $2000 to shoot pictures and video.

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 06, 2013 17:01 |  #2

What is their portfolio like?

I would rather hire someone who has that kit and takes great images, than someone with a bag full of 1D bodies and L lenses who takes mediocre shots.

Having said that, I would prefer someone to have faster lenses at least.

It's the images that count though, not what they are shooting them on.

CoJM
186 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 06, 2013 17:04 |  #3

short answer, yes, seems like they are charging you so much so they can buy new gear, do they have a website? Id love to look at these shots that are worth 2k

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2013 17:12 |  #4

Is that their only lens? I hope your weddings isn't in a dark building with no flash like most.

I would be concerned.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 06, 2013 17:22 |  #5

why are you interested in hiring them? do you like their work?

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,578 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 06, 2013 17:39 |  #6

CPRPOTN wrote in post #15684890 (external link)
Should I be worried that the photographer I'm interested in hiring uses T2i and T3i with 18-135 lens? They want almost $2000 to shoot pictures and video.

Yes

This was shot with an old 2004 Rebel when i was in California in January. But it had a 135L attached. You can get good results as long as you have good glass, good ambient light, and you know how to use a flash when your inside......when it gets very dark,,like a reception...you are pretty much screwed unless you have some fast glass. I Personally would not shoot a T2i or T3i past 1600-2000 ISO,,,,F/5.6 is tough inside with a kit lens unless your in a very well let reception hall... Outside in open shade,, you would be OK.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …61-Edit-1_zps576acd71.jpg (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 06, 2013 18:17 |  #7

A working pro photographer should have at minimum 2 prosumer (5D, 7D type) or pro bodies and a range of quality lenses that are f/2.8 or faster. At least for the wedding industry.

Gear List

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 06, 2013 18:23 |  #8

I will run from them ASAP

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 06, 2013 18:26 |  #9

Numenorean wrote in post #15685131 (external link)
A working pro photographer should have at minimum 2 prosumer (5D, 7D type) or pro bodies and a range of quality lenses that are f/2.8 or faster. At least for the wedding industry.

Or flash. Flash works too. Overcomes a lot when used well.

2 grand for photos AND video is pretty cheap though.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Mar 06, 2013 18:27 |  #10

If they put out good work go with them, I've seen people with crappy iPhones take better pictures than so called pros with 3K DSLRs.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 06, 2013 18:28 |  #11

cdifoto wrote in post #15685167 (external link)
Or flash. Flash works too.

2 grand for photos AND video is pretty cheap though.

Well yes, flash but in weddings often you cannot use flash. At least not during ceremony. Reception is different.

It's not that the Rebel cannot take a good photo - it can and is fully capable given a quality lens. It is just harder to use one in a professional aspect where you are relying heavily on the performance and usability of your camera. The prosumer and higher level Canons are built to work with much quicker and easier, plus the better focusing systems usually, etc. So not trying to say you can't take good photos with a Rebel, just that it isn't the best tool for the job of wedding photographer.

And yeah...if they have only one camera...are they doing just photos and just video at one particular time?

Gear List

CTP
353 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 06, 2013 19:41 |  #12

I wouldnt make a decision based off what they choose to show on their site. Ask to see a few full weddings in venues (both ceremony and reception) that would resemble yours and then make a decision. If they balk at this request. Run. Then run some more.

EOS R + 5D4, 16-35L II, 24L TS-E II, 24L II, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, RF 28-70L, 580ex IIx2
Rockford IL Wedding Photographer (external link), my blog (external link) and Youtube (external link).

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 06, 2013 19:47 |  #13

CTP wrote in post #15685445 (external link)
I wouldnt make a decision based off what they choose to show on their site. Ask to see a few full weddings in venues (both ceremony and reception) that would resemble yours and then make a decision. If they balk at this request. Run. Then run some more.

This too.

Gear List

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 06, 2013 21:12 |  #14

Yes be worried with that lens. The camera's are ok.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 07, 2013 01:17 |  #15

I would be very very wary. A working professional makes enough money that the price of a good camera body and a few lenses isn't that significant. However if they can show you 5 full weddings that you like then go for it.

I could take decent photos with that setup, in good light, or with my lighting gear, but once it got to challenging light, forget it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

45,433 views & 23 likes for this thread
photographer uses rebel for wedding shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.