Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Mar 2013 (Tuesday) 06:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Strap Advertising

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2013 16:19 |  #16

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15684665 (external link)
I go through way too many shirts to have some sort of logo or advertisement on myself... Have too many things on my mind on a wedding day, being a walking billboard isn't one of them...

Exactly my thought. I also often change shirts 2 or 3 times in a day on a wedding day.

It is really hot and humid in Houston. Even with undershirts, the sweat gets through quickly.

I book a lot of weddings from people that attend my weddings. One wedding in 2011, I booked the girl who caught the bouquet and the guy who caught the garter! Pretty cool.

That said, I don't go out of my way to market myself at a wedding. If people are impressed by my professionalism and need a wedding photog, they will ask me or my B&G for contact information.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links
bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 06, 2013 16:24 |  #17

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15684756 (external link)
Exactly my thought. I also often change shirts 2 or 3 times in a day on a wedding day.

It is really hot and humid in Houston. Even with undershirts, the sweat gets through quickly.

I book a lot of weddings from people that attend my weddings. One wedding in 2011, I booked the girl who caught the bouquet and the guy who caught the garter! Pretty cool.

That said, I don't go out of my way to market myself at a wedding. If people are impressed by my professionalism and need a wedding photog, they will ask me or my B&G for contact information.

agree with that..

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 06, 2013 16:31 |  #18

i often wear a black sweatband on my head when shooting weddings. :)
bet that doesn't fit in with most people's personal dress code ideals (as is evident here anyway)

i sweat my ass off on hot days, and it's often the only way i can see through the veiwfinder!
I don't wear it in churches, but otherwise it's on a lot in the summer. sure hasn't hurt my business.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 06, 2013 16:35 |  #19

Business cards at the reception table is tacky in my opinion. I would never do that.

Although it is not beyond me to look like a Nascar driver *LOL* *JK*

I have seen videographers and photographers with their websites on their shirts and one on a vest. I never though it looked tacky.

I did not think a B&G would promote me during a wedding. I do get referrals from them.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 06, 2013 16:36 |  #20

Unless it is a short on, No.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 06, 2013 16:36 |  #21

bigarchi wrote in post #15684801 (external link)
bet that doesn't fit in with most people's personal dress code ideals (as is evident here anyway)

i sweat my ass off on hot days, and it's often the only way i can see through the veiwfinder!
I don't wear it in churches, but otherwise it's on a lot in the summer. sure hasn't hurt my business.

I bet people remember you:)

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 06, 2013 16:46 |  #22

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15684756 (external link)
One wedding in 2011, I booked the girl who caught the bouquet and the guy who caught the garter! Pretty cool.

Was that one or two bookings you got? :)

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2013 17:07 |  #23

bigarchi wrote in post #15684801 (external link)

And I doubt upstate NY comes anywhere close to the heat and humidity as Houston in the summer. No, I would not ever be caught dead wearing a sweatband around a client. I can't think of the last time I didn't wear a button up, slacks and a vest to shoot a wedding.

But it is all about the clients you want to attract.

Down here, if I wanted to shoot all the redneck weddings, I could wear boots and jeans and be alright. But I have no interest in shooting $800 weddings and then selling $5 prints. I want to live a comfortable lifestyle and make a living for a family with photography. Which means trying to attract clients that appreciate the finer things in life - hopefully including fine wedding photography. I've got a friend that goes after that low end and shoots 50-65 weddings a year. Does virtually no editing and churns them out day after day. I'd rather kick ass at 25-30 nice weddings. Different mind set.

But no matter how low end a wedding I am shooting is (I have one this summer where the total budget is under 9k, and I am over half the total budget) I am still dressing to impress. I wear a nice watch. Nice shoes that are cleaned and polished, nice slacks, shirt and vest - all that fit me properly. Depending on the wedding, I also add a tie or bow tie. Because the client I want appreciates that, even if the client that I have may not.

You are the greatest ambassador of your brand. Dress and act the way your target client would expect and appreciate.

If your target client would appreciate the utility of a headband, then rock the heck out of a headband. If your target client would appreciate you having your name on your front pocket of your shirt, then wear that.

Maybe things are different here in Houston, but I think my target client appreciates that I dress cleanly, professionally, and conservatively. Doing that has worked very well for me and I have expanded and grown my business a great amount in just a little amount of time.

Corbeau wrote in post #15684853 (external link)
Was that one or two bookings you got? :)

It is two different weddings, but that would be cool if it was just one wedding.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 06, 2013 17:53 |  #24

yep, i hear that.

it gets pretty uncomfortably hot and humid here in the summer too.
even though we are pretty far north, the humidity is the killer.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 06, 2013 18:53 |  #25

scorpio_e wrote in post #15684734 (external link)
Some interesting points and comments. Thanks for your input.

I think the point is to get people to remember you and your brand. There are lets say 125 + people at a wedding who have no idea who you are.

So let me throw this out there. How do you get those 125+ people to know who you are and your brand. It's not the B&G job to promote you at a wedding.

On the wedding day, I'm not a business guy in charge of promoting my business... On the wedding day, I'm all about taking pictures, planning and flowing through the day...
The rest of the week is when the promoting and selling and all that other stuff takes place... I don't even hand out business cards on wedding days - I don't want the bride to think I'm being distracted by someone wanting to talk business...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 06, 2013 18:55 |  #26

After some weddings, I really consider a bright orange crossing guard vest as something that is required... Sometimes we are just not noticed....

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 14, 2013 19:10 |  #27

All of my cameras have my custom straps on them (with the same logo as my avatar here). I got them from High Key straps, or something like that

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 14, 2013 19:42 |  #28

How has that worked out for you?

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 16, 2013 16:49 |  #29

scorpio_e wrote in post #15716152 (external link)
How has that worked out for you?

The straps themselves are top-notch, so even if nobody notices the logo, they still work :)
However, because the straps don't have a Canon logo on them, a lot of people approach me to ask what kind of cameras I'm using, which leads to them asking about my business anyway.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 17, 2013 10:44 |  #30

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15682825 (external link)
I think logos on my strap, shirt or bag are all tacky and low-class. I don't know a single high end photographer that does this, but I do know a bunch of mechanics that do.

Out of interest what do you consider "high end"? Over here I'm shooting $4k to $6k weddings. In Australia only about 15-20% of the market spend over $3500 on wedding photography. Does that class as high end in your book?

My shirts are logoed on the front with my business name on the back. If fact I've seen quite a few other photographers around the same price bracket with similar. It is actually quite common here.

I wouldn't bother logoing the straps (black rapid double-r). As for clothes I'm changing to red cargo pants along with Vibram fivefinger shoes soon. I've trashed way too may pairs of trousers this last year. On the shoes front I want something more comfortable than the hiking shoes I wear currently. I'm thinking of ditching my polo shirts for a more tight fitting shirt.

I have no problem with being remembered by guests. I want functional clothes which allow me to shoot the way I shoot without them falling to bits. To give you and idea though I've had the phrases "photo ninja", "commando" and "Bear Grylls" all used to describe me.

How you dress should be an extension of your brand. I climb trees, jump in the ocean, whatever it takes to get the shots I want. Most couples I book expect to see me face down in the dirt at least once or twice on a wedding day. It is how I roll.

I can't say either way about business cards since I haven't bothered having any for about 3 years now.

Peter

sponsored links

4,535 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Strap Advertising
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.