Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with AB1600 bulb replacement

chef21
229 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 06, 2013 17:37 |  #1

I just purchased an AlienBee 1600 from a member on here and the modeling light isn't working. Looks like the bulb is blown. Any one know where you can get a replacement bulb other than paulC Buff? The bulb from them is only $9.99 but shipping to Canada is another $28.99 on top of that. Are there any other options that others have used? Thanks for any info.

---------------
Canon 5DMKII, Canon 70-200f2.8 ISL, Canon 17-40L f4, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Manfrotto 190XPROB, Joy Stick Head, BGE3 Grip, Speedlite 430EX, 580EX Lowepro compu daypack, Hoya UV and polarized filters.:D

sponsored links
SamFrench
870 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 06, 2013 17:40 |  #2

You should be able to buy an equivalent bulb locally.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,695 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 06, 2013 17:49 as a reply to  @ SamFrench's post |  #3

go to home depot and get a 100W light bulb and your set. I have 6 of them in my lights from Home depot.. work great. BTW,, thats what Buff told me to do 5 yrs ago... mine have been replaced many times and work like new.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,154 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 06, 2013 18:05 |  #4

Its a standard household bulb thread, any 100 volt incandescent bulb will do the trick

chef21
THREAD ­ STARTER
229 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 06, 2013 18:07 |  #5

thanks very much guys, I tried it and your right it works. I just wasn't sure if it needed to be the 150w or not. thanks again.

---------------
Canon 5DMKII, Canon 70-200f2.8 ISL, Canon 17-40L f4, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Manfrotto 190XPROB, Joy Stick Head, BGE3 Grip, Speedlite 430EX, 580EX Lowepro compu daypack, Hoya UV and polarized filters.:D

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 07, 2013 08:40 |  #6

The more watts the better, provided all your lights have wattage proportional to their power. That means if you're using this with other B1600s that have 150w lamps, you should try to find a 150w lamp.

I use 250w halogens in mine without issue.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 07, 2013 12:44 |  #7

Can you find the OEM 150w in stores? The OEM version is kinda like a tube design vs a standard bulb design.

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 08, 2013 03:09 |  #8

I looked at the home depot in my area and was difficult to find a 150watt, 120 volt halogen bulb (as recommended by PCB). There was one made by GE but the bulb is much larger than the ones that come with the alien bees. I couldn't find a bulb as small that. I ended up buying the GE 150watt bulb. It works completely fine, but when I put the standard 7" reflector on with a gel clipped to the front, the bulb touches the gel (which is bad because it'll melt the gel over time).

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 08, 2013 04:39 |  #9

The 150W Philips halogen bulbs that I used to be able to get at Home Depot are no longer carried by HD. I found some on the web, but at very outrageous prices. The best thing today is to buy the new cylindrical shaped lamps that PCB includes on their product these days. It is much smaller in diameter than a household bulb and will not affect the flash in the way that a large diameter bulb could.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 08, 2013 06:00 |  #10

The US Congress has declared that anyone who uses tungsten bulbs is a selfish, earth-destroying, evil person. They have declared that there's no reason we can't use CFL bulbs for everything.

What a country.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 08, 2013 09:24 |  #11

SkipD wrote in post #15690803 (external link)
The best thing today is to buy the new cylindrical shaped lamps that PCB includes on their product these days.

Exactly! Besides PCB's website, can one find it in stores?

neophyte52
604 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 08, 2013 11:10 as a reply to  @ Toneaero's post |  #12

I just picked up a standard 150w incandescent bulb at Home Depot. One word of caution, though, if you move your Bees to other locations often: the shipping cap doesn't fit over a 150w.

Mark
Trying to compensate for lack of talent with lots of gear :lol:
My Gear

sponsored links

1,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with AB1600 bulb replacement
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.