Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...

this thread is locked
ifi
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2013 20:10 |  #346

Submariner wrote in post #15685028 (external link)
I have to admit I'm perplexed what criterea you're basing your decision on. But then I do confess I struggle to understand, why would anyone be so hung up about remotely contolling a camera with an iphone5!
Surely if I had so little interaction with my camera, I wouldn't bother with a 6D let alone a 5d3!
A Good camera for all that "whack it on facebook immediately" crap would be an iPad4. Its got a built in low light ability 12 mps - instant onto social networking sites, and a brilliant display. (Sorry for being mean just could not resist that jibe)

However If you are actually going to really enjoy photography, and you seem to analyse your purchase process in detail ( ironically actually rather like I do) I can tell you now, you would regret geting the plasticy 6D, with the cramped AF.
I can happily take 400 clicks in a 4 hour shoot. Go and do that a couple of times and then tell me if you would be happy to 1/2 press and recompose! No Way. Just buy the 5D3 and lash out on the Best value for money lens the 70-300L F 4-F 5.6 IS USM and go and take some quality portraits, and a few outside shots sports etc.
G'tee you will be sending me a pm saying "thanks for saving me from a big mistake!"
And my other prediction is you will take a lot more than 2000 pics per year!

Which focus points do you use on your 5d3 for rule of thirds photography?

:)

sponsored links
Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 06, 2013 23:21 |  #347

ifi wrote in post #15685538 (external link)
Which focus points do you use on your 5d3 for rule of thirds photography?

Thats what I like about the 7D and love on the 5d3, you have so many choices to choose the closest AF point - which will always depend on the composition of the picture. Eg dressage one minute focusing on the riders eye then swapping to the horses eye or face. Each generally occupies a different part of the real estate.

Maybe its only what I know best, but I have a feeling lots of good AF points , the more spread out the better, and that quick button, so you just have press one button by the shutter and spin the 2 wheels or use the joystick to select another AF point seems so quick to set up the composure for the next few shots.
I looked at the 6D and it wasn't so good for me.
If you are talking IQ , then in my book - its all about the combination of the resolution of the sensor and the accuracy of the AF system.
How do you say A 36 MPS sensor out of focus, will still have worse IQ in my mind, than say an 18 MPS sensor that has the AF smack on razor sharp!

Re the plastic comment it was said tongue in cheek, (hence the word jibe) but I do love the rock solid feel of the 7D and even more the 5D3 but that was admittedly a brief go.

Definitely prefer the ergonomic shape and size of the 7D and the 5D3 over the 6D. Likewise the more solid and sizeable cameras help wielding around the big L lenses, which they all seem to need, as the ever increasing MPS starts to out-resolve cheaper lenses.

But seriously I am sure the 6D is a great camera for a given budget or if you like that build or need the smaller size or can't handle the weight. personally I find it harder manoeuvring a really big L lens on a small body. And I can appreciate that may sound silly but - I guess we are all different.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,689 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 06, 2013 23:25 |  #348

^Hey, whatever floats your boat, I'm just saying, don't go raiding other people's ports either ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 06, 2013 23:30 |  #349

Submariner wrote in post #15685028 (external link)
I have to admit I'm perplexed what criterea you're basing your decision on. But then I do confess I struggle to understand, why would anyone be so hung up about remotely contolling a camera with an iphone5!
Surely if I had so little interaction with my camera, I wouldn't bother with a 6D let alone a 5d3!
A Good camera for all that "whack it on facebook immediately" crap would be an iPad4. Its got a built in low light ability 12 mps - instant onto social networking sites, and a brilliant display. (Sorry for being mean just could not resist that jibe)

However If you are actually going to really enjoy photography, and you seem to analyse your purchase process in detail ( ironically actually rather like I do) I can tell you now, you would regret geting the plasticy 6D, with the cramped AF.
I can happily take 400 clicks in a 4 hour shoot. Go and do that a couple of times and then tell me if you would be happy to 1/2 press and recompose! No Way. Just buy the 5D3 and lash out on the Best value for money lens the 70-300L F 4-F 5.6 IS USM and go and take some quality portraits, and a few outside shots sports etc.
G'tee you will be sending me a pm saying "thanks for saving me from a big mistake!"
And my other prediction is you will take a lot more than 2000 pics per year!

WiFi would come in handy for taking selfportraits. To make sure you look at the camera the way you want to and to make sure the focus is on the nearest eye. Another option would be to place the camera near a bird feeding place and use my iPhone to take pictures. Birds don't like people but have nothing against a stationary camera.

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #15685457 (external link)
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

Only the top cover is plastic, if you weren't told so you'd never even know the difference. It's not some cheap disposable utensile plastic, it's high impact ABS and I guarantee it will last far longer then you'd want to keep any camera body. And I also find that taking the time to compose your shots properly results in more keepers then randomly spraying your shutter at everything you shoot anyway. The points on the 6D are accurate and work great. Just because you feel compelled to have the "top of the line" camera, doesn't mean it's necessary for everyone. People shot professionally with the 5DII for 5 years and the 6D is an upgrade to it in just about every way.

Also, if you can't see the creative possibilities that WiFi introduces then you're clearly not very imaginative.

I read somewhere on this forum that the sides and bottom of the 6D are also partially plastic. Not that I mind. Even the plastics on my 550D are fine.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,689 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 07, 2013 01:32 |  #350

^If they are then I can't tell, as I said my friend was surprised when I told him the top was plastic. I'm with you, the plastic on my 550D feels fine to me too, but the 6D's plastic isn't even anywhere near the same level, it's much more rugged feeling.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,374 posts
Gallery: 559 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 07, 2013 03:50 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #351

Ya know I'm the same way.. Except I also have the D600 and D800 in the mix because I see no reason to NOT consider them...

The only thing I can say is the IQ on the 6D is great, and the AF is pretty good from what I've seen of it (Playing with one in the store) but the ergonomics kill it... I might go try it out a THIRD time and see if i still have a problem with the ergonomics of it (Specifically the spongy joypad) but I'm doubtful... The Wi-Fi is cool, i love the potential for it especially for macro photography... But all thats useless because the two times I tried working with the 6D in a store I found that joypad physically painful to use :(

The bigger problem is i could get myself a 6D, D600, or just barely, a D800 right now, a 5DIII is right out because the extra $500 is just too much money at the moment, and I dont like the 5DII... (I looked at one before I bought the 7D, I could have bought a 5DII and didnt, That tells me that while i cant remember what it was there was a reason the 5DII was passed over for the 7D) and a 5D Classic is just too old for me...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 07, 2013 07:40 |  #352

jocau wrote in post #15686166 (external link)
WiFi would come in handy for taking selfportraits. To make sure you look at the camera the way you want to and to make sure the focus is on the nearest eye. Another option would be to place the camera near a bird feeding place and use my iPhone to take pictures. Birds don't like people but have nothing against a stationary camera.

I read somewhere on this forum that the sides and bottom of the 6D are also partially plastic. Not that I mind. Even the plastics of my 550D are fine.

Look being serious, on the Plastic front a friend who is a good engineer, actually thinks the abs top quality plastic is stronger in that it will give and spring back rather than crack.

Genuinely interested in your desire for the iPhone remote. So thanks for sharing that. Hmm not too into self portraits myself as the wife is a lot prettier than me and 25 years younger :cool:

Oh and I'm not such an old dinosaur, as I have actually got the new IPad4 Retina Display. The idea was to get Gps to categorise my pics by location, and enable me to send them quickly. Click the box with curved arrow and a contact - job done.
But the main use was to get at the Retina display, 9.7-inch (diagonal), 2048x1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi).
A to show clients what they were getting (sort of) B more importantly as a double check I'd got the exposure, focus well everything as good as I could. And C if using a model being able to show similar examples say I or a client wanted - this is a neat productivity aid sure speeds up communication.

I tried a Toshiba wi fi card and a CF adapter. Not sure what impeded the signal, the 7D metal body, the CF adapter jacket's metal side :- but it started to get warm very fast - so fast that I did not want to risk my 7d past warm. Maybe it would have stopped getting warm but I was not going to risk a new 7D especially as mine was an extremely sharp copy.

In the end I got the Apple £35 'Camera Connector' a USB to lightning connector, and the pics do come down relatively quickly. But you have to load a batch of images, before you can select the ones to download; and for me its OK, as I really use it as we shoot, to confirm everything is set up properly, as we go along. So any major position, or specifically a major lighting change enables me to instantly see in 2048 x 1536 pixels and a good colour rendition of what we were taking.
Nb This is not remote shooting i.e. what you are about to take - it is "this is what you just took a nano second before". It's also cool as you can stretch the pic with your fingers so that's like pixel peeking ? I guess?? And show the client or the model, MAU or anyone involved.
But it does have A WIRE! So when I use a tripod it just slings underneath the camera - but I like to shoot free of the tripod or wires. No need for a tripod at 1/250 ss and ISO 160 studio wise I can be free with the Bowens lights - so this is the problem, as I only connect when we have breaks - not really ideal. Oh for a little plug in antenna! 7Dmk II?

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 07, 2013 08:08 as a reply to  @ Submariner's post |  #353

Submariner wrote in post #15686136 (external link)
But seriously I am sure the 6D is a great camera for a given budget or if you like that build or need the smaller size or can't handle the weight. personally I find it harder manoeuvring a really big L lens on a small body. And I can appreciate that may sound silly but - I guess we are all different.

I'm not sure why we are going back and forth about which is the better camera because IMHO the 7D and the 6D are made for two different purposes. The 7D is an "action" camera . . . lots of focus points and a crop sensor that will let you reach out with long lenses. The 6D is a camera for landscapes and vacation shots. If I am going to an auto race or a steeplechase I will take the 7D and a 100-400 lens. (I don't shoot birds but if I did I would probably take the 7D.) If I am going on vacation I will take the 6D and some smaller (in size) zooms. Both cameras are very good indeed.

As far as the 5D3 goes - it is a fantastic camera. I've used it extensively. But for my purposes, the 6D was better. Maybe if I win the lottery I will buy a 5DIII. In the mean time I am just fine with what I have.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

MikeBurtonPhillipson
256 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 07, 2013 08:14 |  #354

gfspencer wrote in post #15687027 (external link)
I'm not sure why we are going back and forth about which is the better camera because IMHO the 7D and the 6D are made for two different purposes. The 7D is an "action" camera . . . lots of focus points and a crop sensor that will let you reach out with long lenses. The 6D is a camera for landscapes and vacation shots. If I am going to an auto race or a steeplechase I will take the 7D and a 100-400 lens. (I don't shoot birds but if I did I would probably take the 7D.) If I am going on vacation I will take the 6D and some smaller (in size) zooms. Both cameras are very good indeed.

+1.. exactly my thoughts..

5DmkIII | 7D | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 15-85 IS | 400D | Tokina 10-17 fisheye | 400D Ikelite Underwater housing |
http://www.mikeburtonp​hillipson.co.uk (external link)

ifi
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 07, 2013 08:52 |  #355

MikeBurtonPhillipson wrote in post #15687048 (external link)
+1.. exactly my thoughts..

+2 couldn't agree more

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 07, 2013 11:34 as a reply to  @ ifi's post |  #356

Submariner wrote in post #15686922 (external link)
Look being serious, on the Plastic front a friend who is a good engineer, actually thinks the abs top quality plastic is stronger in that it will give and spring back rather than crack.

Genuinely interested in your desire for the iPhone remote. So thanks for sharing that. Hmm not too into self portraits myself as the wife is a lot prettier than me and 25 years younger :cool:

Oh and I'm not such an old dinosaur, as I have actually got the new IPad4 Retina Display. The idea was to get Gps to categorise my pics by location, and enable me to send them quickly. Click the box with curved arrow and a contact - job done.
But the main use was to get at the Retina display, 9.7-inch (diagonal), 2048x1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi).
A to show clients what they were getting (sort of) B more importantly as a double check I'd got the exposure, focus well everything as good as I could. And C if using a model being able to show similar examples say I or a client wanted - this is a neat productivity aid sure speeds up communication.

I tried a Toshiba wi fi card and a CF adapter. Not sure what impeded the signal, the 7D metal body, the CF adapter jacket's metal side :- but it started to get warm very fast - so fast that I did not want to risk my 7d past warm. Maybe it would have stopped getting warm but I was not going to risk a new 7D especially as mine was an extremely sharp copy.

In the end I got the Apple £35 'Camera Connector' a USB to lightning connector, and the pics do come down relatively quickly. But you have to load a batch of images, before you can select the ones to download; and for me its OK, as I really use it as we shoot, to confirm everything is set up properly, as we go along. So any major position, or specifically a major lighting change enables me to instantly see in 2048 x 1536 pixels and a good colour rendition of what we were taking.
Nb This is not remote shooting i.e. what you are about to take - it is "this is what you just took a nano second before". It's also cool as you can stretch the pic with your fingers so that's like pixel peeking ? I guess?? And show the client or the model, MAU or anyone involved.
But it does have A WIRE! So when I use a tripod it just slings underneath the camera - but I like to shoot free of the tripod or wires. No need for a tripod at 1/250 ss and ISO 160 studio wise I can be free with the Bowens lights - so this is the problem, as I only connect when we have breaks - not really ideal. Oh for a little plug in antenna! 7Dmk II?

It comes with a bag which can be easily attached to a tripod. And if you're not using a tripod, you can put the Camranger in the pocket of your trousers. Of course there's still a wire, but the only way to do it wireless at this point would be to buy a 6D. I'm guessing the next crop models will also have WiFi included (70D or 7D Mark II). For me the wire doesn't matter that much, because if I want to take a selfportrait, I would definitely use my tripod.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 07, 2013 11:59 |  #357
bannedPermanent ban

jocau wrote in post #15686166 (external link)
I read somewhere on this forum that the sides and bottom of the 6D are also partially plastic. Not that I mind. Even the plastics on my 550D are fine.

I read "somewhere" that the 5DIII is made entirely of some kind of "plastic". Don't know if it's true, but oh well...my 350XT is still functioning pretty well.

I think you decided long ago which camera to buy but are enjoying the ongoing show.

Dave

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,304 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 07, 2013 12:00 |  #358

I'll tell you, the 6D is damn interesting because of the wifi. It's also damn uninteresting because of the AF. In order of importance, AF crosspoints, then AF Spread. I think for it to be a total package for me, it would also need better live view AF and an articulating screen... the size of the 6D is pretty cool, and with enough experience using the 60D, the joypad is workable.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

ifi
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 07, 2013 12:43 |  #359

Bakewell wrote in post #15687817 (external link)
I read "somewhere" that the 5DIII is made entirely of some kind of "plastic". Don't know if it's true, but oh well...my 350XT is still functioning pretty well.

I think you decided long ago which camera to buy but are enjoying the ongoing show.

I stand corrected, I thought 5d3 was made of gummy bears or was it 6d?

It reminds me of that guy who received wooden 5d3 :)

jocau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 07, 2013 13:30 |  #360

Bakewell wrote in post #15687817 (external link)

No need to make fun of my posts... Like I said before: I don't care about a body being partially magnesium alloy or completely plastic.
I did read it and I'll prove it. But it just appears that I read it on another forum. Anyway here's the proof:

IMAGE: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/inside_the_canon_eos_6d/caption_007_new.jpg

And you can also check out this youtube video:

*CLICK (external link)*

As long as a) I haven't bought the camera and b) I'm not past my "return period", I haven't decided yet... It's as simple as that... But I do admit I'm leaning more towards the 5D3 lately while it was completely the other way around a few months ago.

Charlie wrote in post #15687822 (external link)
I'll tell you, the 6D is damn interesting because of the wifi. It's also damn uninteresting because of the AF. In order of importance, AF crosspoints, then AF Spread. I think for it to be a total package for me, it would also need better live view AF and an articulating screen... the size of the 6D is pretty cool, and with enough experience using the 60D, the joypad is workable.

Yeah, there's many things to like about the 6D. Not too heavy, not too small, in-camera RAW to JPEG conversion, UHS-I support, WiFi (Remote shooting capability), slightly better DR and noise performance at high ISO values... But the one thing that bothers me a lot is its AF. The AF on my 550D isn't great either (although 4 AF points on my 550D are exactly located at the thirds of the image while the 6D has zero of them at the thirds of the image) but it only costed about one third of the 6D. If the 11 AF points on the 6D were all crosstype and spread like the ones on my 550D, I wouldn't have even started this thread... It would have been a no-brainer...

sponsored links

111,414 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.