Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pay attention when travelling through Germany!!!

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 07, 2013 00:59 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #15686274 (external link)
very well said! not only to i respect your opinion here i also am somewhat of an avid admirer of your work! and this opinion just makes me like you more! well said once again!

So if the OP had been robbed in NYC, or Pasadena, or Peoria, you would think it perfectly normal to post something like, "Pay attention when traveling through the United States." And then go on to describe how he was robbed in America, like the location has ANYTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH IT? NO! Your response would be much like everyone else's, "Hey! You can get robbed anywhere. What does that fact that you got robbed in America have to do with anything?" And that is my point.

Gear List

sponsored links
S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 07, 2013 01:32 |  #17

TSchrief wrote in post #15686361 (external link)
So if the OP had been robbed in NYC, or Pasadena, or Peoria, you would think it perfectly normal to post something like, "Pay attention when traveling through the United States." And then go on to describe how he was robbed in America, like the location has ANYTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH IT? NO! Your response would be much like everyone else's, "Hey! You can get robbed anywhere. What does that fact that you got robbed in America have to do with anything?" And that is my point.

so your reading into the title of "Pay attention when travelling through Germany!!"
is what is leading you to all this banter and saying that he is to apologize for his experience?

he wasnt in any of those places you mention when he was robbed he was in Germany and is stating that you could be robbed in Germany and state his experience with the police there what is wrong with that? he isnt blaming germany it simply is saying pay attention to your good and be warned that you could end up like him in germany since he was in germany when robbed and the cops could care less and even hinted at some racially biased slandering that happened when he reported the robbery.

i guess you are just jaded and should probably leave the USA seems like you hate it here and would say that people shouldnt be entitled to speak their peace and would love restricted forms of speech and speaking out about bad experiences elsewhere in the world.

but again i guess you think this guy should just have not said a word of it and not warned anyone to be more cautious if traveling in Germany or anywhere for that matter.

you just seem like a bitter person that fits the anti speech anti freedoms league very well!

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

atodir
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 07, 2013 01:47 |  #18

samsen wrote in post #15686312 (external link)
Out of curiosity, was the content of bag opened or you were playing with tools in bag before the accident?

Since I was traveling with two bags, I did not opened the smaller bag containing the lenses & the camera; therefore nobody could know what I had in that bag. I also had the smaller bag bonded via a kind of hook (similar with the ones climbers use for their ropes) to the larger bag. Most probably some guy opened that hook before (unfortunately, I did not noticed) and another one grabbed & run with the bag.
I live since 12 years in Germany, it is very nice and in general a safe country; however it seems that recently that this type of criminality is rising ...

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/38907378@N04/ (external link)
450D, 60D; Canon lenses: EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, EF 50 f/1.8, EFS 60 f2.8, EF 100 f/2, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; Sigma 1.4 Extender; Nissin Di622

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 07, 2013 01:49 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #15686410 (external link)
so your reading into the title of "Pay attention when travelling through Germany!!"
is what is leading you to all this banter and saying that he is to apologize for his experience?

he wasnt in any of those places you mention when he was robbed he was in Germany and is stating that you could be robbed in Germany and state his experience with the police there what is wrong with that? he isnt blaming germany it simply is saying pay attention to your good and be warned that you could end up like him in germany since he was in germany when robbed and the cops could care less and even hinted at some racially biased slandering that happened when he reported the robbery.

i guess you are just jaded and should probably leave the USA seems like you hate it here and would say that people shouldnt be entitled to speak their peace and would love restricted forms of speech and speaking out about bad experiences elsewhere in the world.

but again i guess you think this guy should just have not said a word of it and not warned anyone to be more cautious if traveling in Germany or anywhere for that matter.

you just seem like a bitter person that fits the anti speech anti freedoms league very well!

I didn't expect you to be able to see the point. Sometimes it requires an intelligent person to follow the nuances of an intelligent argument. What part of, "Location has nothing to do with this situation" are you struggling with?

According to your logic:

1. Robbery can happen anywhere.
2. Nobody wants to be robbed.
3. Therefore, nobody should ever go anywhere.
4. Problem solved.

Makes perfect sense to me. I quit. My mom is calling me.

Gear List

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 07, 2013 02:30 |  #20

Welcome the Westfalen. The police factors in ethnicity as a caution sign. I lived there for over a year and was treated pretty much like a parole just because I have black hair. Any big city in Germany and most of Europe has petty thieves always lurking at train stations.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 07, 2013 02:33 |  #21

oh i get it anyone that doesnt agree with you is inferior because you are the only one that can have an opinion and are God with all the knowledge and foresight to understand all things in all ways.

if the OP was robbed and had serious issues with the police elsewhere then the title would reflect that but this situation took place in Germany and point is for anyone traveling to and through the country should take more precautions when doing so the OP Obviously had serious issues with the police and it was a race thing so heed the warning to be more cautious with your gear when traveling in Germany and dont rely on the police if you arent a native as you might not get the help you need (this is clearly what the OP is saying since it all happened in Germany) yes bad things happen all over and some places have a great disposition to these crimes then others but this experience was shared directly related and connected to germany if it was somewhere else you might have a point, but you crossed the line demanding the OP apologize to the german people as there was not implication that it was germany's fault but was the OP suppose to put in some other place just because you say its not ok to say Germany in his title or his experience?

overall the lesson is be careful when you travel to somewhere that isnt home or even your native country of origin but this happened in Germany and would be a wise thing to be more careful since these snatch and grabs are rarely isolated incidents it could be a crime ring that is going on in that area and could very well be targeting tourists and foreigners hence the warning. again i guess that is just to hard for you to get since you are the only one that can be right here.

and you better not leave your mommy hanging.

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 07, 2013 02:47 as a reply to  @ S.n.a.f.u.'s post |  #22

I'm no racist, but I dare to say that the thief is an immigrant. Germany, France, UK, Spain, Italy and pretty much all of Europe is badly plagued by huge waves of criminal immigrants from MENA-countries. (Middle East, Northern Africa).

And btw, what happend to OP is a very common trick. This is what happend: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=HHlh7fvGA9o (external link)

Yes, the video is real. Be careful when standing next to the train doors.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 07, 2013 03:07 |  #23

Ginga wrote in post #15686502 (external link)
I'm no racist, but I dare to say that the thief is an immigrant. Germany, France, UK, Spain, Italy and pretty much all of Europe is badly plagued by huge waves of criminal immigrants from MENA-countries. (Middle East, Northern Africa).

And btw, what happend to OP is a very common trick. This is what happend: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=HHlh7fvGA9o (external link)

i agree and these criminals target foreigners because generally the local police will not treats a local citizen the same as they would treats a foreign tourist or traveler giving preference to the naturalized or adopted citizen over the tourists.

and that doesnt seem to be a Germany only issue but the OP posted this about Germany so we are talking solely about Germany and not other parts of the world, although the point applies to travels anywhere but again this topic and thread applies solely to Germany.

thanks for the video and pointing out to be very cautious when on the train with any electronics these criminals are very slick and know how to time out the snatch so that they can get out of the doors just as they close leaving the person that got stolen from is stuck with no recourse or anyway to track the person with the goods.

I'm Russ. Gear List
-ching chai
-Louis Hector Berlioz

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 07, 2013 03:27 |  #24

TSchrief wrote in post #15685561 (external link)
I see you had a bad experience. For that I am sorry. The lesson here is NOT "Beware while traveling in Germany." Getting robbed on the street is possible anywhere. The real lesson here is "Beware while traveling with lots of expensive equipment." YOU are responsible for where YOU go and how YOU handle/display YOUR equipment. YOU are responsible for securing YOUR belongings. I am not blaming you for the incident. Robbery is a crime and the perpetrator is the criminal. Perhaps YOU could have done more to prevent it, perhaps not. In any event, neither the Nation of Germany, the German Polizei, nor any German citizen (save the criminal, if he were German) was responsible for the crime. You had no better chance of getting your stuff back in Paris, Bucharest, or Chicago. I think you owe the entire country of Germany an apology.

That's a bit harsh, remember he's the victim here, no need for all the YOU. I think any large European city has issues in and around large train stations.

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 07, 2013 03:43 as a reply to  @ Ginga's post |  #25

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #15686410 (external link)

What's with this weird cultural phenomenon I see articulated quite often but rarely expressed outwith the USA; it goes beyond natural national pride and patriotism and into a rather unpleasant form of xenophobia.

S.n.a.f.u. wrote in post #15686483 (external link)
if the OP was robbed and had serious issues with the police elsewhere then the title would reflect that but this situation took place in Germany and point is for anyone traveling to and through the country should take more precautions when doing so the OP Obviously had serious issues with the police and it was a race thing so heed the warning to be more cautious with your gear when traveling in Germany and dont rely on the police if you arent a native as you might not get the help you need (this is clearly what the OP is saying since it all happened in Germany) yes bad things happen all over and some places have a great disposition to these crimes then others but this experience was shared directly related and connected to germany if it was somewhere else you might have a point, but you crossed the line demanding the OP apologize to the german people as there was not implication that it was germany's fault but was the OP suppose to put in some other place just because you say its not ok to say Germany in his title or his experience?

You may well have a valid opinion, but 197 words in one sentence with absolutely no commas, full stops, apostrophes, plus misplaced or omitted capital letters? For most readers, that's just a wodge of type going blah-blah-blah. If writing is about communicating thoughts - and it is - then you failed.

~ Wallace
Gear List

Ouessant
741 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 07, 2013 03:49 |  #26

TSchrief wrote in post #15685561 (external link)
I see you had a bad experience. For that I am sorry. The lesson here is NOT "Beware while traveling in Germany." Getting robbed on the street is possible anywhere. The real lesson here is "Beware while traveling with lots of expensive equipment." YOU are responsible for where YOU go and how YOU handle/display YOUR equipment. YOU are responsible for securing YOUR belongings. I am not blaming you for the incident. Robbery is a crime and the perpetrator is the criminal. Perhaps YOU could have done more to prevent it, perhaps not. In any event, neither the Nation of Germany, the German Polizei, nor any German citizen (save the criminal, if he were German) was responsible for the crime. You had no better chance of getting your stuff back in Paris, Bucharest, or Chicago. I think you owe the entire country of Germany an apology.

There is something true to that even if it's a bit harsh. Let's say it can happen to anyone, anywhere in the world. Even if you're paying attention.

Ginga wrote in post #15686502 (external link)

LOL. Generally, just after "I'm no racist, but..." you can find a racist statement 90% of the time.
If I read between the lines, I understand : "I'm no racist, but it's an Arab. We Europeans are invaded by those criminals."
Then you give a link to a video showing a bad Arab stealing the handbag of a woman. bw!

François
flickr (external link)

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 07, 2013 03:54 |  #27

I'm sorry for you loss OP. I'm glad you let us know about your experience as I've been getting a bit complacent when I go out for a shoot. Thanks.

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 07, 2013 04:08 |  #28

Ouessant wrote in post #15686579 (external link)
LOL. Generally, just after "I'm no racist, but..." you can find a racist statement 90% of the time.
If I read between the lines, I understand : "I'm no racist, but it's an Arab. We Europeans are invaded by those criminals."
Then you give a link to a video showing a bad Arab stealing the handbag of a woman. bw!

He is merely telling the truth about the current situation in Europe. You don't really have to be a racist to see the problems with the current mass immigration from socially backward countries like Somalia and Iraq.

The situation is quite bad here in Norway, but I know it is far worse in France where you live, so why the butthurt denial?

sloanbj
297 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 07, 2013 04:10 |  #29

Europe is full of criminals. So is America. And South America. Don't get me started on Africa. Australia is pretty safe, though.

I've heard quite a few stories about people getting mugged at the door to the train or the turnstile. Don't stand there with any visible bags and keep your eyes open at all times. In general walking in any tourist city with visible valuables will put you at risk. Don't be a walking advertisement of what you have for others to take.

Flickr (external link) 5Dii * Canon 50 * 85 * 17-40L * 24-105L * 180L * 100-400L * 580ex ii
Film: Contax | Rolleiflex | Pentax

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 07, 2013 04:29 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Ok, please let me back up. I was too harsh in my original post. True, but rude. I apologize for that. Thieves and crime are a potential problem in every city on earth. We all know that. Let us move on.

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments above about xenophobia; it is almost a uniquely American thing, too. Only in America can one get blasted and told to leave the country for having an opinion, by someone else waving a flag and expressing his own opinion. I am pretty sure I spent 9 years in the United States Army protecting, among other things, EVERY AMERICAN'S right to say stupid things. It is also uniquely American that we can nearly choke each other in public for the smallest slight, but let some outsider pick on us and he is in HUGE trouble. America fights back. Ask King George III, Yamamoto, Hirohito, Hitler, Al Queda, and OBL. We sometimes don't like each other very much, but give us a half-decent reason and you will cease to exist.

Gear List

sponsored links

8,102 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pay attention when travelling through Germany!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.