Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 01:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T3i good first DSLR?

SourFacedCyclop
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 07, 2013 01:35 |  #1

I apologize if this does not belong in this section (or if you don't want these kinds of threads), but anyways, I am looking for a first DSLR and am leaning towards the T3i, is this a decent choice? I previously purchased an EPL1 (Micro Four Thirds) to see if photography is something I wanted to get into as a hobby and now I want to move up to a DSLR.

A refurb T3i with kit lens is around $500 after shipping from Canon and then I was thinking about picking up a 70-200 F4L non IS which seem to run around $500-550 used. I also have an old OM 50mm 1.4 that I would probably use as well. Does this seem like a solid choice? Is there anything that might be better at around 1k?

sponsored links
rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 07, 2013 01:58 |  #2

It's a very good choice for a 1st DSLR. And nice lens selections.

I'd build a nice quality lens selection, and develop more as a photographer before thinking about buying a higher priced DSLR.

A T3i is very good.

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

vschapman
444 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 07, 2013 02:03 |  #3

Sounds great in my opinion. Good choice of body and lenses.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi Gripped | Canon AE-1 Program | Bronica ETRS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II - EF 50mm f/1.8 II - EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II - EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III - Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6
- FD-EOS Adapter - Various FD Lenses - Home Darkroom

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 07, 2013 02:40 as a reply to  @ vschapman's post |  #4

I have the T3i and i'm appreciating it more recently. I've started really using the flipscreen and when I thought about the 7D I said to myself, hmmm I'll miss that, and the 10x zoom in live view for precise focus.

Then I got a pain in my hand, as my body reminded me that holding a T3i for any length of time with a tele on it gives cramp quite bad. You could get a battery grip right enough.

The only AF point that's worth bothering about is the centre. You can click the link below and all the pictures on there were taken on the T31, with the lenses in my sig.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Mar 07, 2013 02:40 as a reply to  @ vschapman's post |  #5

Good choices...Throw in a fast prime 50mm f1.4 or 30mm f1.4 for a few hundred more so you'll have something faster than f4.

Welcome to POTN by the way.:)

Mark

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 07, 2013 04:26 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #6

T4i - on sale - new - 649.99 - just about every where.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 07, 2013 04:57 |  #7

RWK wrote in post #15686620 (external link)
T4i - on sale - new - 649.99 - just about every where.

+1 to this, also the T4i has the Digic5 processor in it. Makes you muffins and everything.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,773 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 07, 2013 04:57 |  #8

SourFacedCyclop wrote in post #15686415 (external link)
Is there anything that might be better at around 1k?

you might want to check out this thread:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1280807

Don't worry if some of the camera comparisons seem a little confusing, I had to re-read a couple of posts too.

I am by no means new to photography, but purchased my first DSLR almost 5 years ago and began buying lenses and finally a big TTL flash. The T3i is comparable to my current body, the XSi.

If you are going to attempt any kind of low light or ambient indoor light photogaphy, you will want f/2.8 lenses. Even if you're not, lenses are a much better investment than a camera body.

all that said, the T3i is a fine camera. The T4i is quite a bit better with video, and I believe has a newer image processor (Digic 5). I was surprised that the 60D can be found for $750, it is due to be replaced at the end of the month but still a very solid piece of equipment.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Rewind
77 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 07, 2013 07:25 |  #9

Don't ignore the used market! You'll save loads. I bought mine new around when it came out - not knowing much about cameras at the time - and I kind of regret it.

Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic camera to learn on, and can deliver truly stunning photographs, but as it is a consumer level camera, people buy them left and right, which means there are tons out there. It wouldn't be hard to find one used, in good condition for quite an inexpensive price tag.

That said, the Canon refurbished price is quite attractive, and is a safe option.

I agree with the post about how small the body is. If you have large hands, like I, you will dwarf the camera. It can get uncomfortable.

30D | 70-200 | 40 | 20-35 | YN560-III
Canada

elitejp
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 07, 2013 07:35 |  #10

Paulstw wrote in post #15686491 (external link)
I have the T3i and i'm appreciating it more recently. I've started really using the flipscreen and when I thought about the 7D I said to myself, hmmm I'll miss that, and the 10x zoom in live view for precise focus.

Then I got a pain in my hand, as my body reminded me that holding a T3i for any length of time with a tele on it gives cramp quite bad. You could get a battery grip right enough.

Hold the lens not the body. Unless im actively shooting or I have something like my 85mm on there(which is extremely light) I always hold the camera by holding onto the lens where it connects to the camera body. When shooting pics im holding both the lens and the body.

ANd yes the t3i is a good camera. I also highly recommend buying used. It would be pretty rare to get a bad one...very very rare.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 07, 2013 07:47 |  #11

elitejp wrote in post #15686909 (external link)
Hold the lens not the body. Unless im actively shooting or I have something like my 85mm on there(which is extremely light) I always hold the camera by holding onto the lens where it connects to the camera body. When shooting pics im holding both the lens and the body.

ANd yes the t3i is a good camera. I also highly recommend buying used. It would be pretty rare to get a bad one...very very rare.

I wrap the strap round my wrist on my right hand, not tight or anything, but I do occasionally swap and carry with the lens attach point, but only If I want to text on my phone or get a call. I'll sometimes swing it over my shoulder on the strap.

My hands are quite big so even the 60D was quite small for me.

Jeff's ­ Challenger ­ RT
258 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 07, 2013 08:06 |  #12

SourFacedCyclop wrote in post #15686415 (external link)
I apologize if this does not belong in this section (or if you don't want these kinds of threads), but anyways, I am looking for a first DSLR and am leaning towards the T3i, is this a decent choice? I previously purchased an EPL1 (Micro Four Thirds) to see if photography is something I wanted to get into as a hobby and now I want to move up to a DSLR.

A refurb T3i with kit lens is around $500 after shipping from Canon and then I was thinking about picking up a 70-200 F4L non IS which seem to run around $500-550 used. I also have an old OM 50mm 1.4 that I would probably use as well. Does this seem like a solid choice? Is there anything that might be better at around 1k?

I bought a T3i a little over a year ago. It was my first "real" DSLR (had a bunch of point-and-shoot) and I love it. Very easy to learn. Takes great pictures. The flip screen is nice, video is very nice. I also have a Sony video cam, and the T3i does great. I am not a pro, I just like this hobby. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one either. I've bought a lot of used equipment from this site with great success. Just beware tho, this hobby is addictive! I've now bought the 70-200L, 85mm, nifty-fifty among many other lenses, flashes, filters, then I needed a bigger bag, etc....etc...I have learned tons from this site also, VERY helpful. I've now bought a used 5D also...never ends! Get the camera and have fun! I know I am. Jeff

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,117 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 07, 2013 08:39 |  #13

elitejp stated

Hold the lens not the body.

If you are a right handed shooter what you should do is use the left hand to "craddle" the lens from the underside and while doing that tuck the elbow against the side of your ribcage. This will provide a nice study support to the lens.

SourFacedCyclop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 07, 2013 11:07 |  #14

Cool. thanks for the thoughts everyone. Glad to know that it seems like a decent choice, though I will have to see if the T4i is worth getting over the T3i. Now I guess I just need to stop hesitating and just buy the thing :D

Brupikk
188 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 07, 2013 11:19 |  #15

one more vote for the T4i :D

Brupikk - Brazil
Canon 6D + Canon 6D + Canon 6D + 24-105mm f/4 + 70-200mm f/4 + 50mm f/1.8 + 35mm f/2.0

sponsored links

5,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
T3i good first DSLR?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.